• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
*Eldritch Screeching™ as I realize my precious Jungle Hat :head_hat001: isn't in Splatoon 2*

(Is it? It's not on Inkipedia's Splatoon 2 Headgear page and I don't have a Switch)

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Since people were talking about Shifty Station I thought I would mention something cool that I might have skipped on the page just before.

Shifty Station is built from reused assets of Octarian Kettles, but more importantly it's also built out of debug objects. Which means that not only will Shifty Station be our Splatfest constant stage, but that the Devs can easily creature new shifty stations for each splatfest.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Looks like a event sale is going on with the Splatnet Gear Shop, if I am understanding the translation correctly...
"Gemotown of Anemo, available for "Ikaruri 2", will be the item line that is perfect for coordination from summer to autumn, called "Summer Vacation Collection" for 6 days from 8/11 to 8/16 tomorrow.
Why do not you take a peek at this opportunity."

Theyre also making some of the shirts for you to purchase in the real world.
"The band T - shirt of Splatoon 2 's squid that will be dealt with this "Summer Vacation Collection" is decided to be ordered from THE KING OF GAMES!
There are 6 types of lineup. You will come with 2 special can badges each."

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Shifty Station is built from reused assets of Octarian Kettles, but more importantly it's also built out of debug objects. Which means that not only will Shifty Station be our Splatfest constant stage, but that the Devs can easily creature new shifty stations for each splatfest.
I figured this is what they'd do anyways. But regardless, still cool if they're able to change the stage each Splatfest to make it unique.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I gotta ask, as I don't have the game on me this week, but how much does it cost to scrub a one star, non upgraded piece of gear? Because if it's the cheapest, you may as well just play two games with each one star gear to fill them up (or find some, say, tentatek one star gear if you want some ink recovery chunks, and the like with other gear, and keep scrubbing them) and then scrub them to get the chunks you want, you'll only get one, but they fill the fastest so less grinding, and I'm assuming they'd be the cheapest to scrub. Its a shame I couldn't scrub my splatfest tee after using it, I had two ink resistance up subs and I think one ink saver sub.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I gotta ask, as I don't have the game on me this week, but how much does it cost to scrub a one star, non upgraded piece of gear? Because if it's the cheapest, you may as well just play two games with each one star gear to fill them up (or find some, say, tentatek one star gear if you want some ink recovery chunks, and the like with other gear, and keep scrubbing them) and then scrub them to get the chunks you want, you'll only get one, but they fill the fastest so less grinding, and I'm assuming they'd be the cheapest to scrub. Its a shame I couldn't scrub my splatfest tee after using it, I had two ink resistance up subs and I think one ink saver sub.
20,000, which is the price for all scrubbing regardless of stars and slots.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
So we're basically 3 weeks from launch and I'm pretty burnt out on the game at the moment. It's refreshing having matches where things are more balanced skill wise without losing due to being overwhelmed with Quick Respawn and Stealth Jump (as Splatoon 1 ended), but things are getting stale for various reasons. Number one issue is lack of maps, 8 maps + 2 hour rotations means I've pretty much seen everything at this point and as such am craving for more maps to learn and increase the variety. If the leaks from datamining are accurate and old maps are all returning, then I'm hopeful for map updates to come in batches of 3 (2 old and 1 new) or (unlikely to happen) 4 (for 3 old and 1 new). At the very least 2 maps per update would be nice, because slowly getting 1 at a time is going to be so painful. We've been given the Inkbrush, Dualie Squelchers and Sploosh, so it's about time we get a few new maps.

That aside the other issue is poor balancing (which is to be expected) with the weapons. We got 1.1.2 which was an emergency patch to kill the ticket farming glitch, reset gear with unintended ability combinations and a way to lessen Ink Armor spam (and hitting the Tentatek special immediately lol), but nothing to hit weapon strengths yet (granted 1.1.2 came out too soon for that, but this also feels needed). Right now Tri-Slosher destroys everything with Splattershot range or shorter between the fast TTK, sub and special. This is more apparent than it should be due to the Splattershot/N-Zap and 52 Gal all losing some range from 1 combined with the map design in this game favouring the Tri-Slosher so much. Rapid Blaster is another problem weapon as all damage from explosions are fixed, and Rapid deals 85 on directs and 35 on indirects, no matter how far away the indirect hits (unlike in Splatoon 1 where indirects could fluctuate damage wildly and be extremely weak, thereby punishing poor aim). It's turned the Rapid into a ranged Luna, point vaguely in their direction, hold ZR and be rewarded with splats for little to no effort. This damage cap has affected bombs, as Splat Bombs will deal 35 damage even at the furthest point of their AoE, so they might have done it make Sub Defence Up more useful, but they shouldn't mean Blasters get this buff (although it could be to counter the jump RNG nerf they now have) as it makes them too much like Lunas where they require no aim and no skill to do well.

I don't think the Octobrush is too powerful, but I do think the high damage should be concentrated towards the forwards flick with the sides being weaker (Tri needs this too as the sides do the same damage as the front in this game). I think this weapon feels stronger than it is in part to the low tickrate so damage packets are lumped together and the range is less than that, but it seems to have more lethal range than the Carbon which seems wrong. As for specials Inkjet and Ink Armor seem a tad too strong, Sting Ray might need faster turning when firing and Baller either needs faster movement speeds, a larger explosion radius or more health.

But the absolute major bugbear is the lack of players in S+. I'm in Europe (more specifically the UK), and there just aren't enough players in S+ here, which means I'm often seeing the same 30 players over and over again (most of which are competitive players). This in turn has made Ranked super repetitive as most players play the exact same way and matches are so similar in how they play that it takes a lot of enjoyment out of it. I understand it's a way of reducing lag and making matches more playable but honestly I'd take the 300ms ping and play with Japanese players any day over slow wait times for matches and seeing the same names every day (a notion furthered by the fact Japanese players often use more niche weapons and have vastly different strategies to the west). My biggest concern is if they keep the priority on ping then European players will be stuck once most of the "casual" players leave in 3-4 months as they've achieved S/S+, finished with Salmon Run and League Battles and come back purely for Splatfests and nothing else.

That aside I've ended up maining Splattershot Pro and got pretty competent with it which is a surprise, but it's been enjoyable for me and I've seen success with it against Tri-Sloshers and Octobrushes, so they definitely aren't OP, but they are too strong the way they are now. So as a conclusion, burnt out on the game atm, need more maps and a balance update, taking a break for now. I have put in at least 100 hours according to the Switch, so I feel like a short break will be nice and then when I return I'll be nicely refreshed. Coupling that with Sonic Mania on Tuesday and I should be busy for a week or 2, then I'll give the game more attention again, don't really want to get fed up with it only a mere month from launch after looking forward to it so much.

the

Inkling Commander
*Eldritch Screeching™ as I realize my precious Jungle Hat :head_hat001: isn't in Splatoon 2*

(Is it? It's not on Inkipedia's Splatoon 2 Headgear page and I don't have a Switch)
I feel like I remember seeing it? I forget if it was in a store in game or on splatnet. I don't think I was looking at the camping hat, either.

I do know that I've seen a couple of "every gear item in splatoon 2" lists that are incomplete. And tbh in my experience, inkipedia has been especially useless for splatoon 2 stuff until further notice. So I guess don't give up hope??

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
So we're basically 3 weeks from launch and I'm pretty burnt out on the game at the moment. It's refreshing having matches where things are more balanced skill wise without losing due to being overwhelmed with Quick Respawn and Stealth Jump (as Splatoon 1 ended), but things are getting stale for various reasons. Number one issue is lack of maps, 8 maps + 2 hour rotations means I've pretty much seen everything at this point and as such am craving for more maps to learn and increase the variety. If the leaks from datamining are accurate and old maps are all returning, then I'm hopeful for map updates to come in batches of 3 (2 old and 1 new) or (unlikely to happen) 4 (for 3 old and 1 new). At the very least 2 maps per update would be nice, because slowly getting 1 at a time is going to be so painful. We've been given the Inkbrush, Dualie Squelchers and Sploosh, so it's about time we get a few new maps.

That aside the other issue is poor balancing (which is to be expected) with the weapons. We got 1.1.2 which was an emergency patch to kill the ticket farming glitch, reset gear with unintended ability combinations and a way to lessen Ink Armor spam (and hitting the Tentatek special immediately lol), but nothing to hit weapon strengths yet (granted 1.1.2 came out too soon for that, but this also feels needed). Right now Tri-Slosher destroys everything with Splattershot range or shorter between the fast TTK, sub and special. This is more apparent than it should be due to the Splattershot/N-Zap and 52 Gal all losing some range from 1 combined with the map design in this game favouring the Tri-Slosher so much. Rapid Blaster is another problem weapon as all damage from explosions are fixed, and Rapid deals 85 on directs and 35 on indirects, no matter how far away the indirect hits (unlike in Splatoon 1 where indirects could fluctuate damage wildly and be extremely weak, thereby punishing poor aim). It's turned the Rapid into a ranged Luna, point vaguely in their direction, hold ZR and be rewarded with splats for little to no effort. This damage cap has affected bombs, as Splat Bombs will deal 35 damage even at the furthest point of their AoE, so they might have done it make Sub Defence Up more useful, but they shouldn't mean Blasters get this buff (although it could be to counter the jump RNG nerf they now have) as it makes them too much like Lunas where they require no aim and no skill to do well.

I don't think the Octobrush is too powerful, but I do think the high damage should be concentrated towards the forwards flick with the sides being weaker (Tri needs this too as the sides do the same damage as the front in this game). I think this weapon feels stronger than it is in part to the low tickrate so damage packets are lumped together and the range is less than that, but it seems to have more lethal range than the Carbon which seems wrong. As for specials Inkjet and Ink Armor seem a tad too strong, Sting Ray might need faster turning when firing and Baller either needs faster movement speeds, a larger explosion radius or more health.

But the absolute major bugbear is the lack of players in S+. I'm in Europe (more specifically the UK), and there just aren't enough players in S+ here, which means I'm often seeing the same 30 players over and over again (most of which are competitive players). This in turn has made Ranked super repetitive as most players play the exact same way and matches are so similar in how they play that it takes a lot of enjoyment out of it. I understand it's a way of reducing lag and making matches more playable but honestly I'd take the 300ms ping and play with Japanese players any day over slow wait times for matches and seeing the same names every day (a notion furthered by the fact Japanese players often use more niche weapons and have vastly different strategies to the west). My biggest concern is if they keep the priority on ping then European players will be stuck once most of the "casual" players leave in 3-4 months as they've achieved S/S+, finished with Salmon Run and League Battles and come back purely for Splatfests and nothing else.

That aside I've ended up maining Splattershot Pro and got pretty competent with it which is a surprise, but it's been enjoyable for me and I've seen success with it against Tri-Sloshers and Octobrushes, so they definitely aren't OP, but they are too strong the way they are now. So as a conclusion, burnt out on the game atm, need more maps and a balance update, taking a break for now. I have put in at least 100 hours according to the Switch, so I feel like a short break will be nice and then when I return I'll be nicely refreshed. Coupling that with Sonic Mania on Tuesday and I should be busy for a week or 2, then I'll give the game more attention again, don't really want to get fed up with it only a mere month from launch after looking forward to it so much.
Well put. The bane of early adopters, get in the door ASAP... and there might not be much inside.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Only benefit of not having the game yet.
If I can be totally honest, as much fun as I've had, you're probably better off not being here for the initial growing pains. As Cyan's pointed out and I've ranted about elsewhere, things are kinda wacky at the moment.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
If I can be totally honest, as much fun as I've had, you're probably better off not being here for the initial growing pains. As Cyan's pointed out and I've ranted about elsewhere, things are kinda wacky at the moment.
Well I'm looking to get a Switch this weekend. Still have to save up for the game afterwards but, I'm getting there. I'll be splatting everyone's faces soon enough (and consequently being splatted right back as the rest of you already know the game and will be bragging about "Ha ha I did this to you last game!" on this thread).

I will mention that such bragging will not be tolerated on this thread (Lol, but seriously, just keep it to friendly competition. No insulting anyone else's skill etc. and we'll all be cool).

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well I'm looking to get a Switch this weekend. Still have to save up for the game afterwards but, I'm getting there. I'll be splatting everyone's faces soon enough (and consequently being splatted right back as the rest of you already know the game and will be bragging about "Ha ha I did this to you last game!" on this thread).

I will mention that such bragging will not be tolerated on this thread (Lol, but seriously, just keep it to friendly competition. No insulting anyone else's skill etc. and we'll all be cool).
Well hey, you're free to face me and my Jet. Call it counter-sniper training ;)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador

If you're in the NoA region it might mean I'll have yet one more person to constantly run into on random occasions. Perhaps I should come up with a backstory for your inkling alongside the others I keep running into. =p

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I feel like I remember seeing it? I forget if it was in a store in game or on splatnet. I don't think I was looking at the camping hat, either.

I do know that I've seen a couple of "every gear item in splatoon 2" lists that are incomplete. And tbh in my experience, inkipedia has been especially useless for splatoon 2 stuff until further notice. So I guess don't give up hope??
I have a very similar version of it for NYCC cosplay this year, and it would really be a shame if it wasn't in the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At least the crazy arrows stayed, and the new headlamp helmet is cool.
So it isn't all bad.
That's true, a lot of the gear is pretty fresh. So I might find my new Jungle Hat if it is indeed gone.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I have a very similar version of it for NYCC cosplay this year, and it would really be a shame if it wasn't in the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's true, a lot of the gear is pretty fresh. So I might find my new Jungle Hat if it is indeed gone.
There is the safari hat but that's sadly in a solid colour. Also, I miss the jungle hat too because it went with my red aloha shirt. And first week of the game there was a Splatoonverse message of at least one person wanting their jungle hat back.

You are not alone!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
If you're in the NoA region it might mean I'll have yet one more person to constantly run into on random occasions. Perhaps I should come up with a backstory for your inkling alongside the others I keep running into. =p
Yup, I'd be in that group. And if you feel you need to, go ahead and make a backstory for my Inkling. I won't mind so long as you PM it to me or something (but don't start till I get Splatoon 2 :P).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom