Splatoon: Anxiety From Killing Noobies

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I started playing on a brand new alt last Splatfest after getting tired of losing mirrors and slaughtered from the other team
I'm so sorry XD
I'm probably at Level 7 or 9 on there, I didn't play too long on it (Got to Defender, then I had to eat and stuff)
Plus, it has a password to switch accounts and I didn't make it XD

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
For some time now I play mostly in a pacifist way in turf war to earn points and chill. Matchmaking reacts and put me into lower level lobbys (as a lvl 50). The highest splats I do there are ~3, mostly when I panic or can't get away fast enough. Just yesterday on the middle tower in skatepark I threw a splash wall on it to hide behind. The newbie roller sliped through before, rolled over me and right into the wall. I felt sorry D:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I can only think back to the hundreds of new roller players I've killed so easily, and how sad it makes me. And that goes for everyone who I can tell are very new to the game. I always worry if constantly having to battle veteran players eventually leads them to quit the game altogether.

On a slightly related note, I always feel guilty when I kill the same player several times in one match. Because of this, when the rest or my team manages to get the other team holed up in their base, I'll just go back to the middle and wait for the match to end, and cover everything with our ink. I hate one-sided matches with a passion, whether I win or lose, they are so lousy. Most of the time, it's caused by DCs, or one new player on a team can give them a real disadvantage.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
You do realize this is a game that is highly competitive and nobody's really gonna take it easy on new players. It's not bad sportsmanship, it's just playing the game.
highly competitive doesn't mean going out of your way to splat newbies in Turf War lobbies. being considerate of other players isnt "taking it easy", either, it's being respectful of our fellow players and understanding that not everything has to be an MLG pro killfest.

either way though, it's pretty customary in most sports to take it easy on beginners. it's pretty customary in most walks of life. how are people supposed to learn and begin to enjoy something new to them if they're just getting pummeled by people who have been doing it for way longer? the human psyche, by default, doesn't respond well to "tough love" in this way. we learn more through positivity and encouragement, and that's what we should be doing - encouraging the new players and giving them a chance, in the hopes they'll stick with us and become a part of the competitive scene. isn't that we should be aiming for? expanding our community? i'd much rather tone it down a notch if it helps welcome new players to the game.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
highly competitive doesn't mean going out of your way to splat newbies in Turf War lobbies. being considerate of other players isnt "taking it easy", either, it's being respectful of our fellow players and understanding that not everything has to be an MLG pro killfest.

either way though, it's pretty customary in most sports to take it easy on beginners. it's pretty customary in most walks of life. how are people supposed to learn and begin to enjoy something new to them if they're just getting pummeled by people who have been doing it for way longer? the human psyche, by default, doesn't respond well to "tough love" in this way. we learn more through positivity and encouragement, and that's what we should be doing - encouraging the new players and giving them a chance, in the hopes they'll stick with us and become a part of the competitive scene. isn't that we should be aiming for? expanding our community? i'd much rather tone it down a notch if it helps welcome new players to the game.
Ah, yeah. I wasn't ultimately meaning "go after the new players specifically!" I just meant that I don't usually see people going easy on new players in general, they just keep playing like normal. Nobody really went easy on me when I first got the game after all, so I honestly didn't think anyone cared about that and that you learn through hard practice and a lot of loss and dying in the game. To be honest, I'm realizing now that I worded my post last night incredibly poorly- as a casual player I don't know why I thought it was ok to talk about the competitiveness of the game. In general, I personally do try to play even more casually than normal especially when new players are involved, but that really wasn't how it was for me when I first got the game as I stated earlier.

Even then, the newer players deserve more respect. I apologize again for my rude remark from last night.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
My own experiences on one side of this are not particularly representative, but I'd still like to share for fun. So I got Splatoon last October; prior to that, I'd been watching it on YouTube for a while, so I had a good grasp of the game in theory. This proved important, because my very first Turf War put me in a room full of Level 50s (on Bluefin, of all stages!). I did not really get anything done and ruined my teams' chances at victory, but I didn't mind too much, because I was... aware that they should be good, I guess. Still, I imagine that someone who didn't know the game as reasonably as I did would've had a much worse time.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

That's a lovely ideal, but it doesn't apply to online games. Anonymity + little chance of any repercussions means every online game ever has had dedicated newbie hunters. In a real sport thrashing beginners would get you called on it, sure, but moderators on many online games are swamped as it is and can't deal with every level 90 death god who decides to camp in the level 1 tutorial area and slaughter people as they log in - for a random example.

Am I condoning or justifying this behavior? Hell no, I think it's wretched and reprehensible. I'm just saying people are free to show their absolute worst on the internet, ESPECIALLY in online games, and they do so because they usually don't get knocked for it. Dealing with these chuckleheads is a sad inevitability of any online game, so I don't think Aori was particularly rude or anything.

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
Ah, yeah. I wasn't ultimately meaning "go after the new players specifically!" I just meant that I don't usually see people going easy on new players in general, they just keep playing like normal. Nobody really went easy on me when I first got the game after all, so I honestly didn't think anyone cared about that and that you learn through hard practice and a lot of loss and dying in the game. To be honest, I'm realizing now that I worded my post last night incredibly poorly- as a casual player I don't know why I thought it was ok to talk about the competitiveness of the game. In general, I personally do try to play even more casually than normal especially when new players are involved, but that really wasn't how it was for me when I first got the game as I stated earlier.

Even then, the newer players deserve more respect. I apologize again for my rude remark from last night.
hey, no hard feelings. it's a reasonable thing to say, and i know a lot of people feel the same way. though i still think in the end "i wasn't treated that way" isn't the most valid of outlooks, but it depends on how much you value these kinds of things. you aren't really responsible for others and i respect that, sorry if i came across as though i look down on you or anything.

That's a lovely ideal, but it doesn't apply to online games. Anonymity + little chance of any repercussions means every online game ever has had dedicated newbie hunters. In a real sport thrashing beginners would get you called on it, sure, but moderators on many online games are swamped as it is and can't deal with every level 90 death god who decides to camp in the level 1 tutorial area and slaughter people as they log in - for a random example.

Am I condoning or justifying this behavior? Hell no, I think it's wretched and reprehensible. I'm just saying people are free to show their absolute worst on the internet, ESPECIALLY in online games, and they do so because they usually don't get knocked for it. Dealing with these chuckleheads is a sad inevitability of any online game, so I don't think Aori was particularly rude or anything.
how does it "not apply to online games" ? saying things are an inevitably isn't the right way to look at things, you should be looking to change the system or atleast be an exception in any way you can. maybe a lot of people will hunt down newbies, but what if you're the one nice level 50 S+ who encourages those newbies and helps them out? they may very well cling onto that. i am sure we've all had our experiences with those really nice players that just make things all that more worthwhile.

i don't think Aori was being rude either, sorry if i came off that way. it was a bit of a post directed at noone in particular, and that's on me for not being as clear.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I'm going to be honest here. I've never felt guilty about beating up newbies. Actually, I'll occasionally join a friend at a lower level in turf wars just for the fun of it. (Don't judge me. I used to have a level 20 friend before the 2.0.0 update who would beat the crap out of me when I was still level one. :,( ) Since it's not ranked, I don't really see a problem with it. I'm just a jerk like that. XD (I don't really know how the squad matchmaking system works, though. Sometimes it seems sort of random. Do lower ranked squads often get paired with higher ranks?)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
how does it "not apply to online games" ? saying things are an inevitably isn't the right way to look at things, you should be looking to change the system or atleast be an exception in any way you can. maybe a lot of people will hunt down newbies, but what if you're the one nice level 50 S+ who encourages those newbies and helps them out? they may very well cling onto that. i am sure we've all had our experiences with those really nice players that just make things all that more worthwhile.

i don't think Aori was being rude either, sorry if i came off that way. it was a bit of a post directed at noone in particular, and that's on me for not being as clear.
Game developers have struggled with policing and preventing that sort of horrid behavior for 20 years now and a definite solution is still nowhere in sight, you and I can do our best to be nice and helpful but these people aren't going away. That's all I'm saying.

Cuttlefish

NNID
tokkers
Game developers have struggled with policing and preventing that sort of horrid behavior for 20 years now and a definite solution is still nowhere in sight, you and I can do our best to be nice and helpful but these people aren't going away. That's all I'm saying.
sure thing, but it's just my nature to be this kind of a person. so you do you, and i'll do me <:3

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I feel bad squishing tiny baby squids, but if go full soft-mode on them, they won't get better.
So I try to booyah every cool kill I see them do when playing with, and "pull my punches" when playing against newbies. (Thankfully, nEWb get is an impossibility in S ranked games, were anyone near level 20 is 100%, guilty as charged, sky-net controlled, homegrown smurf. Only charity I give to little blue men is my bullets to their tiny cerulean posterior)

one of my first memories was being absolutely stomped in a lobby i ended up in that i wasn't ready for. it was kind of discouraging.
Nah, not for me. It was very frustrating, getting paired up with lvl 20s the very first day I played(two days after release) every other game. This didn't discourage me much however, and mostly served to fuel the ever growing, dark desire to make these players' time on splatoon a nightmarish gauntlet of suffering and defeat whenever I connected <3
I don't think most players will react this positively to getting ceaselessly rofl-stomped

Also I would crack up every time me and another roller charged headfirst at one another and exploded, so that helped a bit.
I'll only feel bad if some foolish S rank brings his C/B buddy into a squad battle, because THAT is throwing them to the wolves.
Yeah >_>, who would do.. such a... thing <.< ;>_>
if they're on my team i leave them to fend for themselves and use them as bait or meatshields when they are nearby.
[;;;> _ >;] we win though
Being paired with lower ranks is really starting to become a problem with squads lately. o_O It used to be really rare for an S/S+ quad to be paired with a full B rank squad who has just one S rank in it yet I'm finding it happening more often.
Meh? This has been a notable problem for my squad ever since I nabbed S rank and has only just started alleviating a bit in the past month (this was back in Nov., a majortiy of da team was B+/A- and one C, now we're all A/S and a B-)
It seems that I get the opposite of a lot of complaints I hear and read here. Splatoon match making program is wiggidy wiggidy wacked yo <_>

Squid parties!?!?
[/SPOLIER]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom