• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Suggestion Thread

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
So one very important thing I think we need to start implementing in the gear section is either individual weapons boards, (similar to character boards on smashboards), or just a subsection that has a thread for all the main weapons.

With the former, people have a lot more options with discussing it...but at the same time they are just guns, so what is there really to talk about? It could easily be a waste of time to make. Having a subsection for having a main analysis/discussion thread for each of the weapon could also work and is probably the best option as limiting as it can be.

We need all this of course because people are going to want to know more about an individual weapon, so it is key that people can easily navigate to find it.

We also need the same thing with maps, though a character board type deal is out of the question for that. I already made a couple of specific map threads for it myself, though it is possible they could be better.

I think preventing people from posting new threads in these suggested subsections would be key if you are able to do that.
This is going to result in a bunch of dead boards, which is the last thing this forum needs right now. A weapon in a shooter is far different than a character in a fighting game. Having a dedicated section for "weaponry" discussion sounds like a better idea. As far as I'm concerned, there are already too many boards. Navigating the forum is a pain in the ***, and the sections aren't labeled properly. SmashBoards is the same way, even though they've managed to get away with it for nearly two decades because nobody questions anything. Put the descriptions of each sub-section underneath the headings instead of forcing people to hover over the text. Formatting is important, and I really don't think space is an issue here. My philosophy is that ease of use is more important than aesthetics, though having both is obviously preferable. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, for example, has a lovely user interface that is barely functional. Now pretend that the game is a forum.

Last edited:

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Adding weapon icons similar to the character main icons on Smashboards would be pretty cool. I went ahead and did all the work for you :)

Rapid Shot:
Splattershot
Splattershot.Jr
Splattershot Pro
.52 Gal
.96 Gal
Aerospray
Blaster
Jet Squelcher
Rapid Blaster
Melee:
Roller
Dynamo Roller
Paintbrush
Charge:
Charge Shot
Splatterscope
Squiffer
E-liter
This is awesome! @Warchamp7 @AlphaZealot these are pretty nifty, eh?

So one very important thing I think we need to start implementing in the gear section is either individual weapons boards, (similar to character boards on smashboards), or just a subsection that has a thread for all the main weapons.
We will continue to have a Gear board for Weapons and Gear. Individual weapons can get their own thread if that suffices. I'd rather not make so many individual boards for just weapons.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
Adding weapon icons similar to the character main icons on Smashboards would be pretty cool. I went ahead and did all the work for you :)

Shooter:
Splattershot
Splattershot.Jr
Aerospray MG
Roller:
Splat Roller
Charger:
Splat Charger
Classic Squiffer
E-liter 3K
This is awesome. I edited in the official names of the weapons/categories as said in footage and then created some for branded weapons using your icons as the base for many of them. Created two versions of each, the icons make it more clear it is a branded weapon.

Tentatek Splattershot
Custom Splattershot Jr.
.52 Gal Deco
Custom Jet Squelcher
Aerospray RG
Krak-On Splat Roller
New Squiffer

Kelp Splat Charger:
http://i.imgur.com/cuMyxRO.png
http://i.imgur.com/2pHEdx7.png

While doing this, I found out that the Krak-On Splat Roller has the brand logo on the side of the roller part lol.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the Kelp Splat Charger. I'll just link them since I'm already at the 20 image limit.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
We will continue to have a Gear board for Weapons and Gear. Individual weapons can get their own thread if that suffices. I'd rather not make so many individual boards for just weapons.
Ah, ok. Understandable. My one main concern is of course clutter. As if every weapon gets a thread, there will be of course barely any room for other weaponry discussion and/or it'll be harder to find discussion for weapons with barely anyone talking about it.

But, it can probably still work of course.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt

I think it would be a better idea to expand those sections as needed.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Went ahead and made icons for all the subs and specials also!

Sub:
Splat Bomb
Sprinkler
Splash Wall
Disruptor
Ink Mine
Burst Bomb
Suction Bomb
Point Sensor
Seeker
Squid Beakon

Special:
Bomb Rush
Inkstrike
Killer Wail
Bubbler
Echolocator
Bomb Rush
Inkzooka
Kraken

Edit: I made a thread where I am uploading icons to keep everything in one place. Feel free to add them to the site. People are really liking them so far!

http://squidboards.com/threads/splatoon-forum-icons.1127/

Last edited:

Howl7

Pro Squid
Default message for the newcomers: at the first log in every new member receive a message with the staff welcome, a sitemap with the more important sections, a link to the forum rules and a link to the user guide.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Any type of ETA on more eye-friendly skins? Even a default soft blue/white one would be sufficient.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass

Ah, ok. Understandable. My one main concern is of course clutter. As if every weapon gets a thread, there will be of course barely any room for other weaponry discussion and/or it'll be harder to find discussion for weapons with barely anyone talking about it.

But, it can probably still work of course.
http://squidboards.com/threads/splattershot-jr-analysis-and-thoughts-thread.1224/#post-24086

This suggestion was made. I think it's probably the best route for weapon discussion.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
http://squidboards.com/threads/splattershot-jr-analysis-and-thoughts-thread.1224/#post-24086

This suggestion was made. I think it's probably the best route for weapon discussion.
@outplaytion
You see, my problem with this is that it subtracts a lot from people wanting to see a certain weapon.

People can't talk about a weapon when they want to with a group of people who "main" the weapon.

There are a lot of weapons so it will take forever to get to.

You only get a week so if someone isn't around then and they really wanted to talk about it that is too bad for them.

I'm usually more in favor of general threads, but I feel as though having a specific thread for each weapon works better.

I personally love the idea of specific threads because it allows people to always be able to talk about the weapon they want. Everyone also gets to hang out and grow together with their favorite weapons. People can asks questions in these specific threads on how to get better as well. Specific threads are just more convenient to people.

Going back to the taking a long time, information is constantly changing. And having to wait POTENTIAL MONTHS just to put the new info into the op is almost ludicrous.

Heck, if not the right people show up, the information we could get might not even be good and could even be negative towards players. Thats another thing how to even determine that?

All in all, the best way I can describe it is inconvenient. I prefer the smash 4 way of doing things. I will agree that it overall looks nicer, but in the end it does actually help anyone. Which is what I care more about. Sure, at times a better look does help, but this sacrifices it.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
What if we had "Weapons and Gear" with subforums for the primary waapons and then another board for Gear?

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
Before I tell you my thoughts...4 types?
Sorry, I was thinking Shooters, Chargers, Rollers, and Subs as if subs were primary weapons lol my bad.

EDIT: Hmm, if we had boards for the primary weapon types, would we then need boards for subs and supers, too?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ok, I see. So how would we handle these subforms? What would be in them?

Like would there be my original specific thread idea in each of the subforms for example? That would look nicer since dividing it out gives a much cleaner experience.

I'm guess the Weapons & Gear section before going into any subform would be where you post general stuff though? Like if you just wanted to talk about the general weapons, where would you?

Either way, I do think Gear should be separated in its own subform. Gear and weapons are very different things after all even with them being about equipping your character.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
@outplaytion
You see, my problem with this is that it subtracts a lot from people wanting to see a certain weapon.

People can't talk about a weapon when they want to with a group of people who "main" the weapon.

There are a lot of weapons so it will take forever to get to.

You only get a week so if someone isn't around then and they really wanted to talk about it that is too bad for them.

I'm usually more in favor of general threads, but I feel as though having a specific thread for each weapon works better.

I personally love the idea of specific threads because it allows people to always be able to talk about the weapon they want. Everyone also gets to hang out and grow together with their favorite weapons. People can asks questions in these specific threads on how to get better as well. Specific threads are just more convenient to people.

Going back to the taking a long time, information is constantly changing. And having to wait POTENTIAL MONTHS just to put the new info into the op is almost ludicrous.

Heck, if not the right people show up, the information we could get might not even be good and could even be negative towards players. Thats another thing how to even determine that?

All in all, the best way I can describe it is inconvenient. I prefer the smash 4 way of doing things. I will agree that it overall looks nicer, but in the end it does actually help anyone. Which is what I care more about. Sure, at times a better look does help, but this sacrifices it.
I think both "sides" to this have great positives, but also some overwhelming negatives. It's one scenario where I actually feel it's right to assume a middle-ground is what's needed.
With threads for every weapon, the discussion could be spread very thin. This would result in threads sometimes being very bare, but on the plus side if someone wanted to discuss a certain weapon, it'd be easy to find and respond to. However, if you split everything into boards then things become needlessly complicated imo. I've seen in on Smashboards a ton...subforums just drop activity as a whole and make it hard for people to join the discussion unless they know exactly where to go. As a general rule, it is much better to have things condensed, but not to the point of excess.

I honestly think probably the best way would be to have some sort of mega-threads at the least for the weapon types. A moderator or other community-oriented person could then make a thread for the hotly discussed topics, much like on how Smashboards for Smash 4 there is a "Character Impressions" megathread but more specific and thread-worthy topics are split into threads (one example is the "how-to-beat thread")

from what I've seen from the community so far the initiative is there. I have seen several shoutbox discussions get moved to the boards and vice-versa. I dunno I think it's oftentimes better to cater to natural conversations instead of very formal and structured discussions. Weapon discussion shouldn't be a board meeting (btw I know you're not advocating that, just thinking outloud at this point)

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Just make it a month at that point..? I can see how trying to add information could be troublesome, once you have pasted the designated amount of time. I don't see how a month wouldn't be long enough tho; nerfs and buffs aside.

TheRapture

Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I'm just not the biggest fan of a central thread that changes discussion topic after a certain period of time.

I am definitely in favor of boards for Primary, Sub, and Super weapons, as well as Gear, for four Weapons & Gear boards. Or possibly one for Shooters, one for Chargers, one for Rollers, then one for Subs, one for Supers, and one for Gear.

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I like having a weekly rotating discussion but it's no replacement for having separate boards/threads.

But there is a danger in spreading topics too thin. Having a subforum for every little thing is a great way to kill discussion, plus nobody likes looking at an index with a bunch of inactive subforums cluttering the place. It's better to opt on the side of more general forums where there's actual activity taking place, and if that's found to be too confusing, there's probably a way in the forum software to let users attach prefixes to thread titles to cleanly indicate what is being discussed.

One board each for Primary, Super, Sub, and Gear is about as granular as it ought to be. Dividing between Shooters, Chargers, and Rollers, in my opinion, would be going too far and would hinder discussion. Mega-threads would be preferable.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I think there should just be a board called Weapons and a board for Gear and that's it. Anything more than that and it would be spread out too thin. Every loadout has different sub/special weapons where people would want to talk about the sub/special as well as the primary weapon as they are all tied together to create the balance in Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom