• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Suggestion Thread

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
One board each for Primary, Super, Sub, and Gear is about as granular as it ought to be. Dividing between Shooters, Chargers, and Rollers, in my opinion, would be going too far and would hinder discussion. Mega-threads would be preferable.
I agree. At the very least, have a mega-thread for Shooters, one for Chargers, one for Rollers. Especially when it comes down to Rollers. So far there are only two types in the game, with the paintbrush one coming as a free download later. There are different sets for all items, but I'm guessing most of the discussion on these weapons would be the weapons themselves, with only a little on the sets. It's possible someone would want to discuss why they use a particular set over another, but the main topic is the primary weapon.

If you have a section for all Primary weapons, you could sticky any mega-threads to keep it tidy. However, there is still a small problem with that. You're almost creating a section just for three threads, and a similar thing applies with Sub and Super weapons. Gear is the only one that would have a constant amount of activity with a good number of discussions. With that being said, I'm sure there are threads that can be created in each section. For example, you can easily create a thread to state which primary users prefer as it covers all three instead of one. Another example would be DLC Primary ideas. I'm afraid I don't have many ideas here, but I do think it's probably the best option. If you separate them too much, the discussions get spread too thin. If you don't separate them enough, threads become crowded and the topic changes too frequently.

Now as DaBoss said, you could just have a section for Weapons and one for Gear. Mega-threads would sitll be a viable thing for a Weapons section, one for Primary, Sub, and Super. They might get a little cluttered, so I think it's possible to separate the Primary one into three, but it would be far too much if you do the same for Sub and Super.

Last edited:

TheRapture

Dystopian Future Paint Desperado
Admin
NNID
Ya_Boi_Rapture
I think Weapons (Primary, Sub, Special), and Gear is the ideal option here.

DaBoss

Pro Squid
I was thinking is that each loadout would get a thread or something. That way strategies/analyses can be discussed regarding the whole loadout and not just the primary. But now I'm thinking it would be best to have mega threads for each primary that covers the variations of it as well. So the Splattershot thread would cover both the normal Splattershot (with the burst bombs and bomb rush) and the Tentatek Splattershot (with the suction bomb and inkzooka). People discussing in the thread could compare both of the sets and figure out the positives/negatives to them, discuss strategies that work for both in general and are ones exclusive to each set, and etc.

So basically, each pimary weapon (Splattershot Jr., Splattershot, Splattershot Pro, Splat Charger, Splatterscope, Splat Roller, Dynamo Roller, and etc.) would have their own mega threads that cover the variants of it as well. So Splattershot Jr. and Custom Splattershot Jr. would be in the same thread. Though I don't think discussion of those weapons have to be limited to those threads, just that the main thread where you can find most things about it in the OP.

I don't think Sub or Special weapons would get enough discussion to warrant that each get their own sub-forum. Most of them are pretty straightforward with very little to discuss about. If the are going to have sub-forums, I think it would be best if they share a sub-forum. It would be set up like this: Weapons (Primary, Sub/Special), and Gear.

EDIT: lol, RotomGuy beat me to that suggestion.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
I just tried updating my squad thread when it notified me that I cannot have more than 20 images per post. However, the images I posted are very small (country flags for each of our members), so I fail to see what the problem is. This is not 1998 anymore. If your internet connection is so bad that it can't handle a few images, then you shouldn't be playing games online in the first place. Embedded videos and gifs on the other hand? Sure, limit those.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Can we speed up on bringing name changes to premium uses here :I
amen

And overall I think DaBoss' post nails how board structure should be. I also like the division of making it primary weapons and variants.

Slyphoria

Inkling
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but something like SmashBoard's stock icons, but for weapons so we can have our mains in our signatures.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
Do you think we could get an IRC channel going ? The shoutbox is fine and all, but IRC is so much better.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@TheRapture
Can I ask how the modding situation is coming along? It's been about 5 days, Splatoon is already out, and this board is even being advertised by Smashboards now. A lot of people are probably coming here, and this board can easily become a mess.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Even? The two sites are made by the same people, so I mean...

I still think those threads of yours contribute to the mess.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
...I agree. Looking through them, people talk about every single variant of the weapon anyway, regardless of title.
shoulda listened to me obv.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
Maybe it takes time or something, but the message count for my profile hasn't updated :p. Maybe I'm just too impatient.

Also, I think it would be better to automatically default to the Forums page when you go to SquidBoards. That's my opinion, though.

Last edited:

Meloetta

Senior Squid
My only suggestion is having Callie and Marie post news updates and ending them with

Staaaay Fresh!

.. I'll see myself out.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
I think we should have a "Find A Match" forum somewhere, or at least a sticky where we could put out our NNIDs.

I also think images should also be allowed to accessed by selecting a file, rather than just URL.

Last edited:

shrooby

Get Kraken
I think we should have a "Find A Match" forum somewhere, or at least a sticky where we could put out our NNIDs.

I also think images should also be allowed to accessed by selecting a file, rather than just URL.
You select an image file on your computer with "Upload a File" (next to "Post Reply").
Then it'll give you the option to insert the image.

Mr_Destiny

Inkling
There should be a box on the home page with the two maps currently in rotation and the time the game will switch to a new set of maps.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Even? The two sites are made by the same people, so I mean...

I still think those threads of yours contribute to the mess.
...I agree. Looking through them, people talk about every single variant of the weapon anyway, regardless of title.
shoulda listened to me obv.
If you have something to say to me, use the quote or mention feature.

Anyway, when I said mess, I was referring to all the ads, similar threads, and all kinda other stuff that kept popping up. And yeah, I know they are made by the same people. That isn't the point, the point was advertisement means more people meaning more of a chance for a mess to happen.

As for my weapon threads, I like to call them organized chaos. While they look bad. They serve a purpose, and when @TheRapture finally decides handle things like subforums, he can easily use my threads or not as he sees fit. At the very least they exist as an option. Even if it looks bad now, it makes easy to make an organized section later.

I'm going to run down my thoughts on each of the suggested ideas to handle weapons.

A General Thread for all weapons:
Too broad. Makes it hard for people to chat about specific weapons. Could also cause the idea that a weapon "isn't worth talking about" because it is deemed to suck.

General thread, but only talk about certain weapons at specific times:
Takes way too long to talk about a weapon again, gives people little time to talk about strategies of certain weapons, if new info or strategies come up about a certain weapon, tough luck, can't always guarantee the best users of the weapons will be there, and as for the idea of someone cherry picking the useful info, too problematic with who decides that.

A Roller, Charger, and Shooter thread:
Implies all the weapons in these categories behave the exact same way. Also breeds the idea of a "Best" weapon.

Specific Weapons and their branded versions:
Gives people the wrong idea. I can understand the confusion, but the different subs and specials are game changers. Stats don't mean as much. The biggest example I've seen so far seems to be with the Classic and new Squiffer. One's Defensive, the other is Offensive. Making one thread implies you should play these weapons the exact same. The only reason I have both Replica and Splat Roller/Charger/Shot is because they ARE the same weapon with a different paint job.

My best hope right now is to have a subform for each of the weapon types, and just put each of my threads into their respective subforum, and then have a general weapon discussion as it's own subforum and have gear as it's own subforum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom