• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Stages you dislike?

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
I somewhat like them all...
But as an Ink Brush user, it feels like there are a lot of bad situations in most of them; mostly being the stages with really long hallways, such as 'Port Mackerel'
Its close combat, and I'm always forced to deal with range in those hallways. Even the rollers have a better advantage over us, and I can't say the sprinkler does a superb job in fighting back in such a tight space, but if anything, it backs them up for an escape.-- Or can potentially pressure, depending on the player.

However... if we're up against a sniper in those hallways, we're as good as Seagull chow.

'Walleye Warehouse' is a map I have mix feelings on.
It could be me, but it feels way too small, which makes it 'Camp potential'. Whichever teams fills the middle of the map with their ink first get's to sit and wait for the fun part. Everyone is just hiding in the ink, waiting for someone to just jump in for an ambush. But, it's also not that hard to take it over, which makes making a comeback easier than any other map in my opinion.

(This is all Turf War by the way.)

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
Most maps are okay with me. Blackbelly Skatepark in Splat Zones and Arowana Mall in Turf Wars are probably the two that I'm the least fond of, bit they're still fine.

Make any map into Tower Control mode and I'll instantly hate it, however.

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Here are the maps, from my least favorite to most favorite in my opinion:

8. Blackbelly Skatepark: The second I saw this map I knew it wouldn't be for me. And I was right. It's probably my OCD, but this map always ends up being such a mess. There are so many areas to get flanked from and due to the many slopes I find there are so many areas I can't get to, or it's a pain to get to them and by the time I do the other team has taken most of the map. It's pretty brutal in Tower Control also because of the many ways to get flanked, and it's so hard to actually get the Tower to the base. In Splat Zones I will admit that this is fairly fun, and I enjoy getting on top of the center and camp around both zones. Hehehe.

7. Walleye Warehouse: Most of my problems on this map stem from its size. This is currently the smallest map in the game, and the map where a conplete wipeout can happen easiest. It's so easy to get pushed back into your own team's base, and there's really no way out if you get pushed back, because someone could easily guard all of the ways to the middle. It also isn't very dynamic in terms of height, given the layout of the stage, I mean sometimes people can camp atop the crates in the middle but that's it.

6. Bluefin Depot: This stage is pretty fun to play in Turf War, but the main problem is that I have to do most of the cleanup work since I often get in teams that like to rush for the middle. However, I have bigger gripes with the other modes. This stage is absolutely brutal for Tower Control, especially since in the middle, where the Tower is at the beginning, it's so easy to fall off and potentially leave teamates undefended. But my biggest gripe is with Splat Zones. I've said it before and I'll say it again, THERE NEEDS TO BE TWO ZONES ON THIS MAP. NOT ONE, TWO, NINTENDO. PLEASE, ADD ANOTHER ZONE IN A PATCH. THIS STAGE NEEDS IT DESPERATELY. And there's my rant on that matter for the day.

5. Urchin Underpass: Overall, this stage is fairly fun on all modes, but there are some crucial problems that I have with Turf War on here. The first of which is the same problem I have with Bluefin Depot, but worse, when my team always rushes for the middle and doesn't bother to get any of the base. Perhaps some of the problem is that, as a Level 17 person currently, I often play with people from Levels 10-12 who just got back from Splat Zones or Tower Control and forget that this is Turf War and we don't have to rush to the middle. It's also very easy to get pushed back into one's own base, like in Walleye Warehouse, but I do find this one easier to counter against an offensive push, as usually one can sneak through the side entrances to take the middle while the rest of the team is distracting them (unless someone puts a dang Point Sensor on me and focuses on me).

4. Kelp Dome: This map is pretty fun in all modes as well, but I do find a bit of that instant-rush-to-the-middle issue in Turf War, but for some reason I find this one easier to transition from cleaning the base to fighting the other team. However, my biggest gripe with this stage is the fact that Chargers have practically no use on this stage, since there's pretty much no high ground at all. Even with the above grate, with a Charger, it's still really easy to get killed from under the grate by any Shooter or even a good Dynamo Roller or Gold Dynamo Roller. But other than that, this stage is a bunch if fun and I feel that whenever it's a mess, it always feels more organized than Blackbelly Skatepark.

3. Arowana Mall: I really like the design and theme of this map, and I always have fun playing on it. Really, the only issue I have with this map is that, again, people often neglect inking large areas of the base, but it never seems as much of an issue as on other maps, since the teams often go like: one gets the left, one gets the right, one gets to charge in the middle, and one gets all the surrounding area of the team's side. Oh, and I do use the asthetic of this stage for useful purposes too. Even though Marie sometimes advises on the Squid Sisters' News to not window-shop during battle, I admit it, I window-shop during battle. I've seen all kinds of shirts in those windows and I still have my eye on that orange-and-white striped one that I haven't been able to get my hands on yet. All in good time, I suppose. XD Oh and also, I think this is one of the best maps for Tower Control. It's very dynamic and always active. Splat Zones is a bit TOO hectic here, mostly because of the ramps, but it's still okay.

2. Port Mackerel: I know this map has generated quite a bit of hate from people who dislike corridor-based gameplay, but I just love it. Perfect for Rollers, Chargers, and Blasters, which do make up my two mains and secondary respectfully. XD But another reason why I like it is that everyone on the team always takes a different path, one for the left, one for the middle-left, one for the middle-right, and one for the right. And most teams tend to make sure the base is covered before venturing on a respective path. I also think this map is very fun on both Splat Zones and Tower Control, since the map is unusually dynamic in these modes, especially since it's one of the maps with multiple zones (two). I just have a ton on fun guarding the corridors and going on top of the short crates to get a bit of high ground, or taking some real high ground and camping from above. I just always seem to have a ton of fun here.

1. Saltspray Rig: Ah, this map is near perfect. It has dynamic high grounds and low grounds (perfect for Chargers, which I utilize excessively and which are quite worthwhile), thin paths that are perfect for Rollers and Blasters and open areas for Shooters and offensive Brushes. The stage is so fun in Splat Zones as well, with offensiveness from the elevators and the front sides, camping from the high ground on the sides, and a large area for building a special in the back of the Zone (and an area or too for really long range camping, perhaps with an Inkzooka or maybe with an ELiter-3K {or a variant of the original}). There's also a route for everyone in Turf War; someone can go off to the far direction long route and claim the high ground early, one can take the other direction into the smaller middle area and claim that, one can go straight off the middle route and begin to claim the main middle, and one can go to the middle and then the right for claiming that path to the smaller middle and even around the whole path to the other team's side. My only thing about this stage is that it's not the best for Tower Control, but that never dampens how much fun I have in Turf War and Splat Zones on this stage. :)

As for Moray Towers (which I know is coming today, but I won't be able to play it until Sunday because I'm away) and Camp Triggerfish; I think Moray Towers will probably fit between Arowana Mall and Port Mackerel and Camp Triggerfish will probably take over as my new favorite, since it looks so dynamic and fun. :)

Last edited:

WhiteKnight

Inkling
As others have said: Port Mackerel. I hate it. Even typing the name of it just now was painful. Its by far the most bland stage and encourages standoffs. The way I would fix it would be to make every single crate fully inkable.The sides, the top, all of it. That way you could climb up the sides and have the multi level combat that you get on a place like Kelp Dome.

As a side note: I'm really enjoying Moray Towers.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
For Turf War, Saltspray Rig has always been a stage that irks me, because whoever can lock down the northern platform first has a huge advantage, and that can be very hard to come back from if you don't have a team who can coordinate.

For Splatzone, pretty much any stage with two splatzones, just because random team making adds a bunch of unpredictable variables to the match. I'm sure my opinion of such stages will go up once I can be on a team I can communicate with.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
There isn't a map I dislike really. Not a huge fan of Splat Zones Moray towers but I think I just need to play it more. I get more frustrated at teams I'm on then the map. Although I will say Arrowana Mall is like the only map where you can have 3 chargers on your team and win easily.

Funny that there is not much love for Bluefin. It is my favorite map for both SZ and TC. Port is my second favorite TC map.

I second this. I've been using Dual squelcher for the last while on Arowana Mall and owning face. Go on top of that little sniper perch that the snipers aaaalways go to and use the Dual Squelcher instead of a charger. Splat bombs destroy anyone who enters the zone and you have enough range to cover your half of the Splat Zone without the pesky charge time of chargers. I don't think any charger can reach from one perch to the other, though I haven't had anyone try.
Maybe not a standard charger but an E-liter definitely can. I'm actually surprised no one has tried. Just be careful for E-liters.

JarBear

Inkster Jr.
99% I play turf war ... I just don't like the ranked stuff anyway ... but I always struggle on BlackBelly Skatepark. I am fine with the other maps ... just that one irks me.

DW448

Inkling
Heh, I'm one of the lucky ones apparently, I love Port Marckerel. I do so well running around between those crates. Not a Roller!

I'm not a big fan of Walleye Warehouse though. I think it's the size, it's too easy for a Turf War to tilt irreparably.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Although I will say Arrowana Mall is like the only map where you can have 3 chargers on your team and win easily.
I wouldn't say 3 Chargers for this map, but on Saltspray Rig a team can have 2 Chargers and 2 Rollers (no Shooters) and can win pretty easily. Chargers camp around the high ground of the middle areas and guard them and Rollers get all the thinner (and even the open) areas and claim the Turf.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
I love every single map in this game except one.

Bluefin Depot

I quite like the way it looks, but it seems to be the map in the game with the least amount of inkable turf. There's water and tarp here and there, but the number of grates is what really gets me. You're most mobile in your squid form, but the devs sat down and thought:

"Let's take away players' best mobility/escape tool. That'd be fun."

Whenever Bluefin Depot comes into the rotation, I consider not even playing.

*shudders*

On another note, I've never had problems with Port Mackerel. Seems to be getting a lot of flack, but I like it a lot. For splat zones, I usually take the Tentatek Splattershot. After we take the zone closest to our base, I let the rest of my team take the other. Inklings will almost always take the corridor leading into the zone head on to approach, for some reason. Their only other option is the big opening to your right, which isn't too hard to deal with.

So, what I do is I hide in the ink and stand still. When I see someone firing down the hallway, trying to make a path, I throw a suction bomb right on top of them. From here, they have three options.

1) get splatted by my bomb

2) move out of the range of my bomb forward and into the range of my fire

3) move backward, giving me time to recover enough ink for another bomb.

I've never seen anyone take a left into the other lane. It's silly how effective this strategy is.

Hope this maybe helps with your Mackerel problems.

Last edited:

Manta

Senior Squid
HATE Arowana Mall, it fells like 90% of the time I get killed is from people camping in places where they could cover over half the map, doesn't help that it is generally much harder to you to kill them then for them to kill you (unless you have a charger, which I find useless on pretty much any other map in turf wars).

I actually don't mind Port Mackeral as it is a narrow map and idk why, but I find games there MUCH more exciting.

edit: for reference I generally use the Tentatek and .52 or .96 gal

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Moray Towers in Turf War. I don't like how I have to work my but off to break 1000 points comapred to other maps.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Moray Towers in Turf War. I don't like how I have to work my but off to break 1000 points comapred to other maps.
To be fair, you shouldn't be playing Turf for points. Being B rank in Rank matches still gives you a higher profit of points than rank does. Especially if you get knock outs.

Anyway, it's really hard to dislike some of these stages for me.

The only stage I dislike, is urchin underpass. It is bland looking, and it's annoying to navigate. Also, it is very easy to go into someone's base and ruin their day. Granted, when I'm the one doing it, it is fun.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
To be fair, you shouldn't be playing Turf for points. Being B rank in Rank matches still gives you a higher profit of points than rank does. Especially if you get knock outs.

Anyway, it's really hard to dislike some of these stages for me.

The only stage I dislike, is urchin underpass. It is bland looking, and it's annoying to navigate. Also, it is very easy to go into someone's base and ruin their day. Granted, when I'm the one doing it, it is fun.
I don't see why that matters. I play ranked when I want points but I also like playing Turf War for points. In addition, my preference is to play Turf when I am leveling multiple gear. I prefer not to play ranked with more than 1 unleveled gear. And then sometimes I just rather not play ranked for w/e reason.

Basically, I want fun and points. Most maps do that. In fact, Moray Towers is the first turf map that I didn't like after learning it. The point reward for effort when compared to most other maps is just meh. So, imo, its not a to be fair map.

If Moray Towers is in the Splat Fest Rotation...I will cry.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
Blackbelly is my most hated by a wide margin. I get spawn camped sooooo much on this map. It seems really easy once a team breaks through mid there to just rush your spawn and keep you locked down. Even if your team manages to rout the enemies, they've made such a mess of your base that it's trivial for them to come right back while you're trying to reclaim your turf. I have this issue a lot on Port Mackerel too, but not so frustratingly often.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Blackbelly is my most hated by a wide margin. I get spawn camped sooooo much on this map. It seems really easy once a team breaks through mid there to just rush your spawn and keep you locked down.
The thing is that Blackbelly Skatepark is composed of the middle (including the side areas) and the base. Unlike other maps like Arowana Mall, there' nothing in between

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Moray Towers is the first turf map that I didn't like after learning it
It was actually just the other way around for me. I didn't like Moray Towers at all during the very first matches, because it felt just too big, but I really like it now.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
The only map I don't like is Arowana Mall, it's a bit better in Tower Mode but still that map is not fun since here is no where to hide :D
Everything else is great, my favorite map is Port Mackeral but I'm mostly a scumbag roller

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom