The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Let us rejoin the game instead of punishing us for a hiccup in connection. I literally needed one more victory to get S- rank in Rainmaker, but I had 3 cracks in the tank and I had a communication error. I literally fell to my knees, threw my head back and screamed "NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That happens every time i play latley..I think they match up the highest with the lowest cuz it's usually me, a level 12 and a couple bllow 4 vs a team of 15to 20s. I do my best to help em get some wins and pretty much practice strategy.. Can't sweat it too much
I wouldn't mind if not for the frequency of it.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
If it's Turf, do what I do and play when Salmon Run's on. The lobbies seem a little saner. I'm just glad I'm in the double digits now and no longer likely to be the baby in the room XDc

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
If it's Turf, do what I do and play when Salmon Run's on. The lobbies seem a little saner. I'm just glad I'm in the double digits now and no longer likely to be the baby in the room XDc
You described today, Salmon Run's been going all afternoon, it hasn't saved me :v MY CURSE HAS UPGRADED FROM SQUID PARTIES TO THIS AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I'm only a bit salty that I can't run Splatnet 2 on your not so great phone (I really need to get a new phone)... I really feel like I'm missing out on some good gear... :(

Kind of stinks that you can't run Splatnnet 2 on your PC (unless there's a way to run it on your PC I'm unaware of).

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm only a bit salty that I can't run Splatnet 2 on your not so great phone (I really need to get a new phone)... I really feel like I'm missing out on some good gear... :(

Kind of stinks that you can't run Splatnnet 2 on your PC (unless there's a way to run it on your PC I'm unaware of).
Actually, I'm certain there are a few ways. Haven't bothered to look any up though. For one, I lurked a reddit post where the thread creator mentioned they were viewing the app on their PC, plus there are Android emulators always floating about.

SH101

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8123-4313-8823
Was actually kind of fun for a bit, i'm like well I have a disconnect, a level 2 and a level 7 . Wonder how close I can get to not getting wrecked..Loosing big over and over gets old. Usually starts to go in that direction after I've had 4 or 5 good matches in a row and start to think i'm getting good;)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Well I made it back to S+ after losing it in Splatzones. Needless to say, it's scary, and a suspicion I had turns out to be true. It does not matter what rank of S+ you are, S+ 0 or S+15, you can be put into the same lobbies. I just got here and already I've had 4 very one sided matches, three of which were losses. Unless this game can balance out the ranks well, it's just going to be a matter of how lucky are you in regards to your teammates skill.

I get there probably aren't enough S+ players to make lobbies for each numerical rank, but I should not have to face off against an S+ 15 as a S+ 0.

I'm honestly not even that salty, I'm more intimidated than anything. :oops:

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Actually, I'm certain there are a few ways. Haven't bothered to look any up though. For one, I lurked a reddit post where the thread creator mentioned they were viewing the app on their PC, plus there are Android emulators always floating about.
Did some searching and found an decent looking Android emulator, seems to run splatnet just fine. Thanks for the info.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
This game seriously needs to get some match making reform. We all know the game has made some very one sided teams in the past, it was a problem in the first game and it's a problem in this one sadly.

I had an S+ match where the enemy team had a S+ 29 and 21. What was the highest rank on my team? S+ 2. Is it too hard to ask the game to look at ranks in ranked mode to at least try to make fair matches?

Update: Had to fight the S+ 29 person again, and wouldn't you know, the teams were still incredibly unbalanced. Why would the game be giving a player who clearly does not need help all the high ranking teammates? My team actually performed alright, but once they pushed hard enough, they won easily. I can't hope to climb the ranks if I keep getting screwed over by the broken match making.

Last edited:

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
This game seriously needs to get some match making reform. We all know the game has made some very one sided teams in the past, it was a problem in the first game and it's a problem in this one sadly.

I had an S+ match where the enemy team had a S+ 29 and 21. What was the highest rank on my team? S+ 2. Is it too hard to ask the game to look at ranks in ranked mode to at least try to make fair matches?
This is true. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of curbstomp battles because I got matched up against teams that were above my team's skill level.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Dear Brella enthusiasts:
-That is a stealth weapon, consider ambushing
-Watch your six, you're really easy to flank when deflecting enemy fire ;)
-Good luck and don't give up!

Had one of the weirdest matches in Turf today (Musselforge, iirc). Right at the start my side loses a squid, poof. Map flyover/loading segment takes a suspiciously long time...As we're all standing up, it looks like the other guys lose one as well at spawn. Well, I think to myself, at least it's 3 on 3, that's even. I keep seeing the other two of my teammates running around throughout the match, we're doing okay. I perform what I think is a total team wipe on the other guys, mowing through two and trading with the third due to collateral damage. PUSH, GUYS, PUSH, I GOT EM. We got trounced pretty well. The end results screen shows it was actually a 4 on 2 match, and my side had lost both DCing players.
???
Profit?

Callout for a squid named andyistall. If you see this guy in Turf, just be aware he is pretty darn cool. Solid teammate, a good opponent. I hope he accepts the friend request XD

soujirou88

Inkster Jr.
NNID
soujirou88
Here's a little salty/funny story. Recently, I had salmon run round that involved grillers. The thing was, every bloody griller went after me! And what's worst, I was the only one on my team that didn't even die that round, and no one even killed a single griller until the last ten seconds.

Like, how can a team be that incompetent? Especially a profreshional team at that!

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Alright. I give up, lol. I can't. I just need to let go, I guess. I can NOT make Rollers work. I just can't. Something changed, something much more than just the vertical flick. However, the vertical flick is still ridiculously inconsistent, and I've gotten cheated out of so many splats it makes me wanna just turn off the game in the middle of a match, temp-ban be damned. It's depressing, one of the most iconic things about Splatoon just becomes unusable to me. And don't even get me STARTED on the Inkbrush. God forbid I wanna deviate from my precious Herobrush. As much as I love it to death sometimes I wanna use a DIFFERENT brush, and picking up the Inkbrush is just a death sentence to my team and my own fun. It's miserable, I just don't get why it feels even worse in this game. It was fairly questionable in Splatoon 1, and had issues, but you still saw people make it work some way or another. Now it's a damn joke weapon, I've gotten ambushed so many times by an Inkbrush and 4/5 times I manage to get out of it's puny 5 RANGE value, then splat them. And it's happened so many times from my end too, where I should have gotten the splat but the damage just doesn't register or something and they escape from my embarrassing range, then splat me. I'm always left thinking "gee, I could've made that work with my Herobrush." Then I inevitably switch back to my Herobrush even though I wanted a different roller/brush experience. I'm stuck. Carbon Roller? Too inconsistent. Splat Roller? Too inconsistent. Dynamo Roller? Too inconsistent. Flingza Roller? Too unreliable. Inkbrush? Too unreliable. Octobrush? Literally the only roller I can use at the moment, and there's reasons to believe it got overbuffed in this game(as an Octobrush main and someone who fights them a lot. ;p). You can see the problem here, right?

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
Holy pepper mills and salt grinders. Why did I breeze through to S-rank on Tower Control, but apparently am sucking at Rain Maker? Makes me rage quit squid almost.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Alright. I give up, lol. I can't. I just need to let go, I guess. I can NOT make Rollers work. I just can't. Something changed, something much more than just the vertical flick. However, the vertical flick is still ridiculously inconsistent, and I've gotten cheated out of so many splats it makes me wanna just turn off the game in the middle of a match, temp-ban be damned. It's depressing, one of the most iconic things about Splatoon just becomes unusable to me. And don't even get me STARTED on the Inkbrush. God forbid I wanna deviate from my precious Herobrush. As much as I love it to death sometimes I wanna use a DIFFERENT brush, and picking up the Inkbrush is just a death sentence to my team and my own fun. It's miserable, I just don't get why it feels even worse in this game. It was fairly questionable in Splatoon 1, and had issues, but you still saw people make it work some way or another. Now it's a damn joke weapon, I've gotten ambushed so many times by an Inkbrush and 4/5 times I manage to get out of it's puny 5 RANGE value, then splat them. And it's happened so many times from my end too, where I should have gotten the splat but the damage just doesn't register or something and they escape from my embarrassing range, then splat me. I'm always left thinking "gee, I could've made that work with my Herobrush." Then I inevitably switch back to my Herobrush even though I wanted a different roller/brush experience. I'm stuck. Carbon Roller? Too inconsistent. Splat Roller? Too inconsistent. Dynamo Roller? Too inconsistent. Flingza Roller? Too unreliable. Inkbrush? Too unreliable. Octobrush? Literally the only roller I can use at the moment, and there's reasons to believe it got overbuffed in this game(as an Octobrush main and someone who fights them a lot. ;p). You can see the problem here, right?
I'm friends with a skilled inkbrush main. It seems to be all about splat bomb spam and abusing that speed. And also trading a lot. I'm not an expert :p Rollers definitely are in a weird place currently.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I'm friends with a skilled inkbrush main. It seems to be all about splat bomb spam and abusing that speed. And also trading a lot. I'm not an expert :p Rollers definitely are in a weird place currently.
But, why spam splat bombs and trade, when you can just autobomb spam(please do not actually do that) and not-trade-as-much with the Octobrush? I always preferred the Octobrush, even back in Splatoon 1 but there was a time where I genuinely mained the Inkbrush back in splatoon 1. But now, the differences between the two are downright polarizing in this game. It makes me sad. :(

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Speaking of brushes, does anyone else think the Octobrush is op (or at least reeeeeeeeeally good)?

I feel like the buffs it got in terms of range and damage (but not the damage one so much, because that just compensates for the loss of damage up) just aren't balanced by the ink efficiency nerf, it's like could I please have more range than this brush, I'm using a slosher!

Now let's talk autobombs.

Ohhhhhhhhh the autobombs!

So apparently the people at the invitational said that autobombs weren't good enough because they couldn't track people who were hiding in ink.

So Nintendo patched them so they could.

Fair enough.

However today, I was playing rainmaker and hiding in mid when not 1, not 2, but 3 autobombs get thrown at me and herd me into a corner (bad positioning on my part), then these octobrushes come down and spam ZR to Splat me.

I think that the fundamental problem with autobombs is that there's no middle ground between being able to track enemies in their ink, and not being able to.

Just my personal sodium chloride though.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I agree that the Octobrush is in a VERY good spot right now, and it was frankly overbuffed from the first game. I like it's new damage output (like you said, compensating for no damage up) and it's new spread, but it's new range is damn ridiculous. If you dont have something with Slosher/L-3 Nozzlenose range or higher, youre gonna trade with the octobrush instead of getting the splat you probably deserved.

As of now, the Inkbrush has WAY too little range and the Octobrush frankly has too much range (it's range stat is 23, but just like the Tri-Slosher, it's effective range is much bigger).

Autobombs as of right now have zero counterplay as well. It's either swim towards it to bait the explosion (P.S, that's what the autobomb thrower WANTS you to do, to get into a bad position), or run away but even then the Autobombs chase you for so god damn long, forcing you to abandon the objective. The thing is, the Autobomb chases you WAYYY longer than it's actual detection range, which is frankly bogus imo. You should be able to break the Autobomb by shooting it so it stops running at you, and then it explodes short after. Give it a puny amount of HP so that almost any damage will stop it in it's tracks, and then it explodes. Would make it more balanced imo. It would also prevent Autobomb spam as the victim will be able to break the bombs quicker than the enemy can recover ink to throw a second one. Right now it's way too easy to just casually spam autobombs when you have good map control and there's nothing the enemy can do about it because you can just throw another one by the time they escaped the first one.

I think it's very good that Autobombs detect people in ink, as it's a good anti-camper/sharker tool, but they're way too time consuming to bait the explosion/run away out of their aggro range.

I just wanna make it clear that I'm not jumping on some sort of Octobrush hate-circlejerk or anything. The Octobrush was my main in the first game for a very long time, and I think that gives me the right to acknowledge that it's MUCH stronger and got buffed in too many aspects it didn't even really need in the first place. (keep that damage buff tho. and the spread buff, it makes it's coverage so much better.) Also, I have to fight Octobrushes just as much as the next guy, so it's not like I'm not experienced with how annoying it is to fight them sometimes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom