• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I'm not one for salt posts, but I feel like this is something that needs attention. The .96's RNG is just *insane.* There is no consistency to the shots. I've had them veer way off course at a variety of ranges, not just at max range or even at 50% range.

Why is this? Is it a balancing factor to the power of a ranged 2-hit kill? I assume so, having played .96 in the old game, but I don't think "balancing" a weapon by nullifying the skill of the user is a good idea. No matter if you just picked up the game or labbed your aim for hours, the shots fly everywhere.

In ye olde Splatoon, I hated the .96 Deco for the same reason: wildly inconsistent shots. I actually preferred it after the nerf, where you had much more reliable aim up until the edge of your range. I can't STAND this inconsistency. And I LOVE this gun. I really like they kit and the raw power of the weapon. But how am I supposed to enjoy using it when I am basically praying for luck every encounter?

Plz Nintendo. Help me.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Man, Turf War is getting rough these days.

• You can now officially add me to the growing consensus that believes matchmaking absolutely need fixing. It's not good to be placed on a lot of teams with single digit level players (Level 33 btw). I personally don't mind carrying the rookies to victory, but said teammates are often either newbies testing the waters or just don't know what the hell they are doing.
  • Would it actually kill at lot of you to spread out while covering turf? Because it literally does when you are all having a picnic on the same spot on the map in the midst of an ant infestation!
  • I hate to say this, but if you are camping for kills anywhere in a Turf War and you are not using a charger...YOU ARE F***ING USELESS!!!! I have seen far too many players with scores of 200-300 using Aerosprays, N-Zaps, Splatlings and even those damn Tri-Sloshers. While you're over there looking like a badass racking up kills, you are losing turf for your team. But hey, at least can pat yourself in the back over the 8-9 kills you got while we were getting our butts dropkicked.
  • I am so glad that TKing is not possible in this game, because the temptation for me to splat every teammate in front of me would have been so great that it would be borderline sociopathic. And yes, that means you, perfectionist douche trying to cover every single pixel of the map with ink. F***!!! YOU!!!
Only level 10 and a lame charger main but I can't begin to tell you how many matches I've had where I came out on top of covering turf AND elims. :| Being matched with levels ranging from 3 to 30-ish.

Had all of this last night and today. Aerosprays with 200 points, Ink brush with 180 and a Blaster in Turf war. Obviously came out as 75 points and 0 elims. I can help with still winning this if one member ain't that great but teams with 1-2 of these SUPER underperformers are literally uncarryable. I'm already a semi-mobile camping machine myself but I'm sometimes this close to fragging my own teammates when they decide to stand OR turf in front of me on linear paths. -_- #saltsalt

Edit: To further explain what I'm talking about. Start of the match, map e.g. Port Mackerel. When I'm already taking the far left path, DON'T just ink there as an N-Zap or whatever, UGH. That's where I sigh and take the far right path but these precious 2 seconds are gone either way.

Edit²: And another one... when your crew-members ignore the Fly-fish. On high tide. Like, okay. Sure let's just all die whatever.

Last edited:

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
@Ansible idk what you're talking about needing practice with that Splatling, you're pretty damn awesome with it. Had a ton of fun evading your Stingrays Monday night ;)

Personal Crowning Moment of Awesome:
Splatted half the opposition with Tenta-missiles, then proceeded to mop up the other two on my way back out into the field since they were both attempting to crowd our spawn. Huehuehue.

In other news, how exactly do you explain a roller with no Opening Gambit, only one sub of Run Speed Up, and a team with no Beakon-layers on it consistently being right next to my team's spawn pad within the first 30 seconds of every match??? I mean, I don't want to call foul for no real reason, but that whole situation smelled funny to me =/

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Turf War at Moray Towers... what is it about the inklines that attract players like moths to a flame? "I's gonna splat yu Anvisible but first I'm gonna activate dis inkline!" Really?! We're in a middle of a fight! "Shut up! You're not muh teammate! You can't tell me what to—*respawn*"

And even when they do hop in the inkline, they act like I don't see them as they travel the length of it or try to hide in it. ...I can still see you! "No you can't—*respawn*"

@Ansible idk what you're talking about needing practice with that Splatling, you're pretty damn awesome with it. Had a ton of fun evading your Stingrays Monday night ;)
D'awww~ that's sweet of you, but I still have a ways to go with it. That and it's become more of my safe weapon. Especially since I didn't know what I would be getting into once I tagged along with you. Otherwise I would've pulled out that blasted Splat Brella I'm trying to learn. Such a nuisance to learn.

Speaking of weapons... SALMON RUN!!

Okay, duh boss bear loans us a Splattershot and Splat Dualies. "Okay. This can work." Along with a Splat Charger and Dynamo Roller... "Screw you Grizz!!! This is SALMON RUN not a ranked battle!!"

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Especially since I didn't know what I would be getting into once I tagged along with you. Otherwise I would've pulled out that blasted Splat Brella I'm trying to learn. Such a nuisance to learn.
Well hey, hopefully now you have some idea of what usually happens around me. It was actually much worse last night with Salmon Slaughter not being on. You missed Troublesome Friend though, his wifi was acting up too much Monday for him to join in =p

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Premium
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Okay, duh boss bear loans us a Splattershot and Splat Dualies. "Okay. This can work." Along with a Splat Charger and Dynamo Roller... "Screw you Grizz!!! This is SALMON RUN not a ranked battle!!"
Oh geez, the nightmare resurfaces.. >_<; Splat charger I love using - one of the best ways of picking off those pesky steelheads through all the sludge, as well as the drizzler balloon thingies. But the DYNAMO?!? @_@ Uuhrggg, that thing felt like swinging around an oversized dripping diaper filled far past critical mass... Yeah, definitely salty after that fiasco tonight. I dropped from profreshional down to the lower bar of overachiever just getting to the superbonus!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Slushious,
Was wondering where he was. Guess next time the two of you will get a chance to see the (lacking) power of my brella skillz!

@Doctor,
Yeah, I couldn't make it to superbonus. The defeats weren't worth it. Took me how many defeats just to crawl to 200pts? Especially when you have splattershot and dualie teammates that will the dynamo and charger to either fend for themselves or form their own pair. Or trying to solo fight a steelhead with a dynamo. Or trying to solo fight multiple steel eels with a dynamo. Or having to solo a swarm with a dynamo. Teamwork? Teamwork is a fairy tale!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@Slushious,
Was wondering where he was. Guess next time the two of you will get a chance to see the (lacking) power of my brella skillz!

@Doctor,
Yeah, I couldn't make it to superbonus. The defeats weren't worth it. Took me how many defeats just to crawl to 200pts? Especially when you have splattershot and dualie teammates that will the dynamo and charger to either fend for themselves or form their own pair. Or trying to solo fight a steelhead with a dynamo. Or trying to solo fight multiple steel eels with a dynamo. Or having to solo a swarm with a dynamo. Teamwork? Teamwork is a fairy tale!
If you want teamwork, all you gotta do is ask ;)

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I quite liked yesterday's/today's Salmon Run and surprisingly reached my best paycheck while playing it. I thought I really didn't like the Dynamo Roller at first, but after realising that it slays Cohocks by just casually running into them... I'm game! >=D Not to mention killing Steelheads with one vertical flick. <3
And yes, Ansible, if you ever want to nerd it out in SR with somebody who loves to assist her teammates to her best ability, go ahead and add me for support if you want to. :)

Edit: Forgot to add some obligatory salt! I lost two SR matches in a row--both times in the first wave. ;*c It seems I shouldn't play SR for too many hours at a time, I lose my concentration and focus...

Last edited:

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Turf War at Moray Towers... what is it about the inklines that attract players like moths to a flame? "I's gonna splat yu Anvisible but first I'm gonna activate dis inkline!" Really?! We're in a middle of a fight! "Shut up! You're not muh teammate! You can't tell me what to—*respawn*"

And even when they do hop in the inkline, they act like I don't see them as they travel the length of it or try to hide in it. ...I can still see you! "No you can't—*respawn*"

D'awww~ that's sweet of you, but I still have a ways to go with it. That and it's become more of my safe weapon. Especially since I didn't know what I would be getting into once I tagged along with you. Otherwise I would've pulled out that blasted Splat Brella I'm trying to learn. Such a nuisance to learn.

Speaking of weapons... SALMON RUN!!

I've found that those weapons are a perfect combination. In Salmon Run, the Dynamo Roller is a direct upgrade from everything else due to its ability to blow though Salmonids with ease. The vertical flick is also very good for clearing paths, and as I said before, it can blow through nearly anything. I've even plowed over a Maws once.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
If this wasn't brought up before, but I think US players need to knock it off with being so aggressive. I played Rainmaker the other day, and one too many spent too much time trying to rapidly kill everyone whilst leaving the rainmaker all alone so the team can snatch it. Not only did it frustrated me, but nobody defended the person holding it. None. I had to. It didn't help the person will then make a quick nose dive elsewhere while not trusting me, and end up getting killed due to trying solo with it. (Spoilers, they do not DO a good job at soloing.)

If the first Splatoon is cake compare to this, it is. It is a simple game of capture the flag, yet someone it is treated exactly like turf war. Everyone goes into the middle of the battle, gets splatted. Rinse, and repeat. They even ignore my calls now, which doesn't help even the slightest.

Also, aerosprays, holy cow. Me and a dualie where the only ones using weapons that hardly anyone tends to bind on. I also feel dirty when I see people abuse the tri-slosher for the same reason. My main, WHY? They don't even dance with it, or jump around like you are suppose to. No, they just fling it like a moron that they are, and it AILS me so hard. I feel the little tri-slosher himself slowly dying inside.

I wish people would consider looking up guides, or taking tips from other players instead of being completely offensive. I even hardly see a support group anymore...I feel like I am a lone unicorn these days when I enter the turf, it's humiliating.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
No disconnects, just new players on my team.

Spawn camped by level 25 - 48s. I'm the only one who can leave the spawn, but get splatted just as you try to take out the one guy you see because the other three are right there waiting.

Meanwhile, my team mates are shooting at them from the edge of the first drop, not even from the spawn.

My roller literally just jumped down, no fling, no roll, just jumped down four times.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Wave 3 of Salmon Run at Profreshional. Made it through 2 waves without dying once and generally played well. Third wave was a Goldie Rush, and I had the Dynamo Roller. Parked at the platform and teammates did the same.

10 seconds before the wave ends, the game disconnects. I've never disconnected before. :(

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
If this wasn't brought up before, but I think US players need to knock it off with being so aggressive. I played Rainmaker the other day, and one too many spent too much time trying to rapidly kill everyone whilst leaving the rainmaker all alone so the team can snatch it. Not only did it frustrated me, but nobody defended the person holding it. None. I had to. It didn't help the person will then make a quick nose dive elsewhere while not trusting me, and end up getting killed due to trying solo with it. (Spoilers, they do not DO a good job at soloing.)

If the first Splatoon is cake compare to this, it is. It is a simple game of capture the flag, yet someone it is treated exactly like turf war. Everyone goes into the middle of the battle, gets splatted. Rinse, and repeat. They even ignore my calls now, which doesn't help even the slightest.

Also, aerosprays, holy cow. Me and a dualie where the only ones using weapons that hardly anyone tends to bind on. I also feel dirty when I see people abuse the tri-slosher for the same reason. My main, WHY? They don't even dance with it, or jump around like you are suppose to. No, they just fling it like a moron that they are, and it AILS me so hard. I feel the little tri-slosher himself slowly dying inside.

I wish people would consider looking up guides, or taking tips from other players instead of being completely offensive. I even hardly see a support group anymore...I feel like I am a lone unicorn these days when I enter the turf, it's humiliating.
I don't think there was anything wrong with killing, just that they were doing it wrong. RM, like TC, is still a mode heavily focused on deathmatch skills. When you look at top teams play, you see that matches follow a particular formula.
You approach the middle. If you take control, you look at the numbers on the enemy team. If they're down, or left a route undefended, you pick up the RM and push. If the enemy retreated, you hold middle and force them to push into you. You have the advantage, so why give it by trying to flank? When you're in control of the area where the RM is, you have the advantage. Assuming you can hold mid the entire fight, and the enemy never pushes, you win by default; just pick up the RM and walk a few inches forward.
But you're really not going to get a game like that. You're going to push into middle at the start and have to win a fight. If you're going to continue to push, you're going to have to win more fights. And if you want to get the RM back after losing a fight, what's the way to do it? Winning a fight. RM is all about killing, and your teammates had something like the right idea, they were just executing it terribly.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I don't think there was anything wrong with killing, just that they were doing it wrong. RM, like TC, is still a mode heavily focused on deathmatch skills. When you look at top teams play, you see that matches follow a particular formula.
You approach the middle. If you take control, you look at the numbers on the enemy team. If they're down, or left a route undefended, you pick up the RM and push. If the enemy retreated, you hold middle and force them to push into you. You have the advantage, so why give it by trying to flank? When you're in control of the area where the RM is, you have the advantage. Assuming you can hold mid the entire fight, and the enemy never pushes, you win by default; just pick up the RM and walk a few inches forward.
But you're really not going to get a game like that. You're going to push into middle at the start and have to win a fight. If you're going to continue to push, you're going to have to win more fights. And if you want to get the RM back after losing a fight, what's the way to do it? Winning a fight. RM is all about killing, and your teammates had something like the right idea, they were just executing it terribly.
This is where I miss the squid beacon from the octobrush. Having that with ninja jump really made it NICE for the team to pick up and get to the rainmaker faster, and acting as a guard when I activate the kraken.

This time I was working with the flingza roller with that splash wall. That weapon is EXCELLENT for it. You can set up a wall to block out the team while safely guiding the person holding the rainmaker. Or just block the oppressor, and make them reroute their strategy. Problem is, they didn't take any sort of advantage of my sub. They went AWAY from it, when they could of had a last few seconds to get by, or just blow up the team while being shielded for a small amount of mere seconds. I mean, you REALLY have enough time to charge that weapon to blast it over and knock the team away.

I also used the splat brella because you have that also said shield, it protected my team from being totally annihilated from the shield blowing up in enemy ink, and yet, again, didn't see they had a clearing to get around and start firing.

The major problem is them taking charge of the rainmaker. Yes, it is a like learning how to drive a car for the first time, it is slow, going to feel odd when charging. You're going to be surrounded, of course. But perhaps, even if you are going to die. Just try to rush over to the other side as much as possible to make the score go down. Or even go somewhere where the path isn't easy to fix the damage. (Which putting it in corners, or places that likely make them a sitting duck. Choke holds, dead ends, really open, yet inconvenient places that block the rainmaker's shots.)

Now, if this isn't a misunderstood rank mode, I think splat zones are the most because of the more simple concept of covering turf. Even if it isn't 'turf' war, I seen too many just leave the entire place dry of ink while the enemy covers the area completely, making it hard to reach the middle. I am going to say this, I rather have open gambit strap on more next time, despite how some say it is kinda useless. (To me it isn't, especially if you want to just make the enemy have to work around an obstacle.)

I once HAD a good team for rainmaker, just the match was so good that they kept fighting in a area. While they fought, I manage to cover the entire Moray Towers IN our own turf. I mean walls, and the rails. It made it impossible for them to function since all their ground was taken away.

Also lastly, I think people need to consider what weapon that is most important to use during these ranks. Sometimes i don't understand why they think aerospray is going to be exactly a goal container for every mode, or map they get a hold of. You are dealing with different slopes, heights. You better change your weapon, or your strategy, because I am sick and tired of them relying on too much range and 'power' that they believe that will magically help them to win.

Also the shots are not going to go through certain weapons. Brushes can deflect them, sloshers can go through them. Play other weapons to learn this, it isn't so much to ask, ugh. The weapon also has a open area that can easily become quite readable if you are going to not continue hiding in your ink. Oh, and people don't seem to jump with their guns anymore, minus dualies since you have to jump first then shot to make that happen, otherwise you dodge instead.

Sorry for a long winded post, but I had to mention the other things I see wrong. Treating modes all the same, not changing weapons, expecting weapon to win everything, and miss seeing a variety other than tri-sloshers, and aerosprays. Chargers seem to be like a distant creature from afar from me, and rarely do I ever see one.

Now one positive thing, I do see good players during tower control. I don't know if it is the same for everyone else, but for me I seem to have the best time in it. I see more variety of weapons, chargers, but at the same time I end up missing it because due to time of day, or lately been playing it on and off randomly. Maybe because tower control physically and mentally demands a good balance of team work, along with pushing each other.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
On the problem of trigger-happy teams, i had an entire team which were shockingly the complete opposite of this.

They just threateningly fired at enemy ink from a safe distance, never engaged anyone and did retreat when the enemy did engage. We kept losing turf until they were all literally locked in a corner! I saw all their names all in the same area. Not gonna lie, It was kind of a surreal thing to see.

Like, there's nothing wrong with playing support. But sometimes you have to fight, and i guess the key to winning is knowing when you should play the one or the other. You can't just keep retreating all the time.

At this point, there's something definitely wrong with the matchmaking in turf war. lvl 10< kept getting saddled in the same lobbies as lvl 40>, that stuff shouldn't happen. And then it dumps two snipers on one team, like why?

Also Humpback is an allright map on it's own, but it's absolutely awful for turf war. Getting from the inner circle to the outer one is such a hassle it's better to SJ back to spawn and work your way from there. I can literally run into their part of the circle and ink it all over when all of the enemy are in the center area.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I think matchmaking wise there is a reason for it, I was playing before and I noticed out of the three squiffers, the two strongest and malt aggressive would always be paired on the opposite team, whereas the other was sort of interchangeable. Me and a friend I was playing with today were pushed onto separate team in almost every map due to similar play styles. It appears to somewhat take weapon types into account but not really specials, often times a team has multiple of the same special whereas the other has more variety. Sadly, often enough the team with the mostly ink armour tends to win.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
If they'd stop treating Turf like Salmon Run...
View attachment 5454
Don't get me started. I hate when when I am surrounded by life reserves screaming help while bosses gangbang up on me!

"HALP, HALP, HALP, HEY HALP I KNOW THERE ARE A BUNCH OF BOSSES, AND I WILL CAMP NEXT TO ONE FOR YOU, BUT PRETTY PLZ HALP ME."

No, you sit your RUMP away from the boss salmons and stay PUT till it is safe to get you, or otherwise go to the nearest squid that isn't in contact of being being pulverized to a cosmetic goop of it's existing form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom