• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Eehh, I guess that makes sense, but then again, Team Werewolf had most of the middle covered in along with a lot of Team Vamp's base. There was also another match that I did where we inked about 60% with like 5 splotches on our side, yet we still lost by a good percent or so.
Every single point counts in turf war. The game tallies every little drop of inked ground whether it's visible via the overhead view or not. The results may be surprising at times but they ARE accurate.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Every single point counts in turf war. The game tallies every little drop of inked ground whether it's visible via the overhead view or not. The results may be surprising at times but they ARE accurate.
Then how did Team Werewolf lose that match if it counts everydrop? Team Vampire spent time on the walls?

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Is it just me, or is Bubble Blower really bad? If i see my teammate start creating them i tend to immediately pop them so they stop blocking my view. It's like a moving round splash wall, except it blocks your shots aswell. It just feels like a hindrance to both you and the enemy.
Their main purpose right now seems to be to be a wall. You put them down so you can't be shot, probably while completing the objective. I'd reconsider popping your own team's bubbles because that's less shield time for you.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Their main purpose right now seems to be to be a wall. You put them down so you can't be shot, probably while completing the objective. I'd reconsider popping your own team's bubbles because that's less shield time for you.
Shield time isn't worth much if an ally sets up the bubbles directly in front of the sniper, blocking their shots for far too long. *coughthishappenstomeslightlytoooftencough* It's the only special that can be actively detrimental to a team member if used incorrectly.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Is it just me, or is Bubble Blower really bad? If i see my teammate start creating them i tend to immediately pop them so they stop blocking my view. It's like a moving round splash wall, except it blocks your shots aswell. It just feels like a hindrance to both you and the enemy.
My god, I can’t count the amount of times a teammate started blowing bubbles that completely blocked an open shot I had. Far more than the amount of times they blew bubbles around me and it actually helped.

I’ve actually found that I can use the bubbles to kill the enemy bubble blower. If I’m quick enough, I can duck between the bubbles, using them as cover, and pop the blower.

I don’t know what the fix is here, but man is it a bad special. Drives me crazy when it’s on my own team. Worst thing is, most people who blow those bubbles actually think they’re helping.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
The amount of people spouting nonsense about the Splatfests being rigged are actually insane. Newsflash guys, Marina and pearl have near equal wins worldwide. Pearl literally only has the lead by two.

*Marina won Ice cream, Mcnuggets, and Endurance.
*Pearl won Rock, Mayo, Flight, Front roll, and Vampire.

I understand its frustrating for your team to lose consistently but thats just how it is sometimes. First and foremost splatfests are a popularity contest. Generally Speaking the more popular team will have an immediate advantage. Not only for wining in one category immediately, but for having a higher chance at having more skilled players.

Besides that its like others have said, its turf war. At the end of the day the winner is decided by which team manages to have the most players inking turf in the last 30 seconds. If you/r team mates are splatted in that time frame you've lost. Its a waiting game at the end of the day, you just have to know when to strike.

iced potato

Senior Squid
Why is it such an annoying grind to get a weapon to Superfresh. Every time I am just one win away from achieving it, I seem to get unlucky and have a little losing streak. I don't care to get all weapons to Superfresh, just the ones I like using.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Why is it such an annoying grind to get a weapon to Superfresh. Every time I am just one win away from achieving it, I seem to get unlucky and have a little losing streak. I don't care to get all weapons to Superfresh, just the ones I like using.
Oh, I feel you! It's probably just my imagination, but it feels like I have a way easier time in the beginning when using a new weapon...? Like, that the game senses that I haven't used it before, it's "dry" and thus it gives me some leniency.
As soon as you hit "fresh", though... oh boy. But myeah, it might just be my mind playing tricks on me. :oops:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I advocate for the Bubble Blower. I agree that it is like a Splash Wall, so I use that to my advantage. Use the Bubbles to cover a strongly contested choke point for your team. Throw them out and then stand within the bubbles to make yourself harder to hit for the enemy. You can set up some interesting, tricky kills with this. If nothing else, it will cause the opponents to scatter! I do agree that the obscuring nature of the Bubble Blower is a pain. The best fix for that is to make it so allied shots can pass through the bubbles unhindered and make the amount of shots needed to pop the bubbles slightly higher. Though I think this might make the Bubble Blower too strong. All in all I think it is a special with issues, but nothing that can't be taken care of further on down the line.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I advocate for the Bubble Blower. I agree that it is like a Splash Wall, so I use that to my advantage. Use the Bubbles to cover a strongly contested choke point for your team. Throw them out and then stand within the bubbles to make yourself harder to hit for the enemy. You can set up some interesting, tricky kills with this. If nothing else, it will cause the opponents to scatter! I do agree that the obscuring nature of the Bubble Blower is a pain. The best fix for that is to make it so allied shots can pass through the bubbles unhindered and make the amount of shots needed to pop the bubbles slightly higher. Though I think this might make the Bubble Blower too strong. All in all I think it is a special with issues, but nothing that can't be taken care of further on down the line.
I've seen people use bubble blower correctly on Twitch streams where they're playing as teams, but that's with communication. I've yet to see it out in the wild. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but I have never been directly involved in a situation where I was glad my teammate pulled out some bubbles.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
So I was playing in solo earlier today and the game started the match with only 7 people in the room.
It wasn't even an early disconnect, just one squid, straight up missing
Why is that allowed to happen?
Jesus this game sometimes

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Why do people torment themselves with rank? Why does rank even matter? I'm climbing the ladder to look more attractive to competitive groups, and it's frustrating. I ignored rank for so long in favor of League, and I feel vindicated. I just can't count on a lot of these players. I've had legions of Aerospray MGs, post-nerf, people who die 10+ times, so on and so forth. There's just no appeal here for me, compared to going in with friends I can count on against challenging, coordinated opponents. One mode down, two to go before I'm done grinding to S+. Man, this feels like work going in by myself...

And shout-out to my friends who've voice chatted with me during my grinding. Being able to vent as I go has helped this be less packed with ennui. Seriously guys, thanks, you've helped more than you know.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Ever since I stopped caring about freshness in turf, I've found to be so much more relaxing, and funny enough, I started getting to Superfresh on all my favorite weapons naturally. It know it's a hard habit to break, seeing those numbers fall is never fun, but I highly recommend not caring about it anymore.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Why do people torment themselves with rank? Why does rank even matter? I'm climbing the ladder to look more attractive to competitive groups, and it's frustrating. I ignored rank for so long in favor of League, and I feel vindicated
I couldn't agree more. I have so much more fun in League taking on skilled opponents with people I know and can chat with, and I've grown far more as a player leaguing than soloing.

The only motivation I have for getting to S+ is for credential purposes and because the game uses your rank to seed you in league.

I've had the most satisfying sessions pairing up with S+ friends to access matches that test me to my limits. It's exhilarating to win a 2000+ power level match *and* feel like you contributed to that outcome.

And it's strangely satisfying when you're doing so well to then face someone "known" in the Splatoon circle (Rising Moon, Rafa) and get steamrolled. *That* is motivation to get even better.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The only motivation I have for getting to S+ is for credential purposes and because the game uses your rank to seed you in league.
Except... the game doesn't? I realize this is nitpicking but I feel compelled to comment because I keep hearing about that rank/league connection that isn't there, it seems. My very first League match ever, when the game was new, was against Dude. THAT Dude. And yesterday, when I was S in splat zones, my friend and I got tossed against 1500 power babies anyway. The matchmaking is raw chaos no matter what anyone says, I think.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Except... the game doesn't? I realize this is nitpicking but I feel compelled to comment because I keep hearing about that rank/league connection that isn't there, it seems. My very first League match ever, when the game was new, was against Dude. THAT Dude. And yesterday, when I was S in splat zones, my friend and I got tossed against 1500 power babies anyway. The matchmaking is raw chaos no matter what anyone says, I think.
Hmm, that's an interesting observation, but anecdotally, I've seen a strong connection between the two.

When I pair up with an S+ friend (edit - debunked- particularly one who's +10 or better), we usually get an opening match in the 1700-1800 range, but sometimes we get something low (1500) or abnormally high (2000) for a first match due to availability. This usually corrects itself in the second match.

When I paired up with an S friend tonight, we got a bunch of easy 1400-1600 matches to start, but even after steamrolling a 1700, it fed us 2 more in that range.

And when I've paired up with like-rank people (in the A-range) in the past, I got really weak opponents in the 1200-1400 range.

Across this, my rank was the same for the reasons stated in my prior post.

All observations on my part. As you say, nobody knows exactly what's going on in that algorithm and what it accounts for. It does also seem to account for past performance with that friend, I think.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Hmm, that's an interesting observation, but anecdotally, I've seen a strong connection between the two.

When I pair up with an S+ friend (particularly one who's +10 or better), we usually get an opening match in the 1700-1800 range, but sometimes we get something low (1500) or abnormally high (2000) for a first match due to availability.

When I paired up with an S friend tonight, we got a bunch of easy 1400-1600 matches to start, but even after steamrolling a 1700, it fed us 2 more in that range.

And when I've paired up with like-rank people (in the A-range) in the past, I got really weak opponents in the 1200-1400 range.

All observations on my part. As you say, nobody knows exactly what's going on in that algorithm and what it accounts for.
S+ number has no effect on matchmaking, for the record. At least we know that much. To share my own anecdotal evidence, I've been pairing with S+ friends and a couple low-rank friends for months (one guy was C- for ages because he just didn't care about rank), and the experiences have been largely the same - 1700-1800 teams if we lose, 2000 to 2300 teams if we win, with poor 1500 babies mixed in here and there that get obliterated. That's only my experience of course, and that of my friends, but it just doesn't seem consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom