• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Jon914

Pro Squid
I edited this into my prior post, but past league performance *may* have some effect on matchmaking, so if you were getting the same matches with your C- friend, it's possible that your historical league power was good enough to seed you well.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I edited this into my prior post, but past league performance *may* have some effect on matchmaking, so if you were getting the same matches with your C- friend, it's possible that your historical league power was good enough to seed you well.
Where does the history of my friends factor in then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You make good points, but until we get some hard data on the matchmaking system I'm going to assume it's Cthulhu under the city, slamming his tentacles against a thousand keyboards.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I just started playing Salmon Run and just as it was about to start, 2 people suddenly disconnected from the lobby, so I was left with just one teammate and to make it even worse, it was Grillers. What a fantastic way to start off a session of Salmon Run. :scared:

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I just started playing Salmon Run and just as it was about to start, 2 people suddenly disconnected from the lobby, so I was left with just one teammate and to make it even worse, it was Grillers. What a fantastic way to start off a session of Salmon Run. :scared:
Mr. Grizz has got a strange kind of humour indeed. ;) But let's not question it, or we might get a salary cut. D:`

the

Inkling Commander
And shout-out to my friends who've voice chatted with me during my grinding. Being able to vent as I go has helped this be less packed with ennui. Seriously guys, thanks, you've helped more than you know.
Dang, this is a good idea... I usually listen to podcasts and stuff to mitigate my salt, but I only have so many of those :p

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Dude, I feel bad for you. A start like that is never a good sign. Mr. Grizz needs to start holding his employee meetings before shifts.

Honestly, though, I would rather have a start like that than have a start with a full team and lose on the first wave because they decided to take a break and let the Scrappers steamroll them. At least in your example, you have a good reason to take a temporary pay cut.

As long as we're letting out the salt, I would like to confess that I don't like Grillers or Glowflies at the best of times. But on Lost Outpost those waves are guaranteed pain. With so little room to maneuver around the onslaught of Chums and Goldies or demonic Hibachis, most teams crumble before the might of the Zurg Rush. It's gotten to the point where if we are on Lost Outpost and I see the sky darken, I begin to shake with fear.

"Can't sleep...the Chums will eat me..."

the

Inkling Commander
Wowwww, the tenta brella is so difficult to play. It feels like you're either a huge asset to your team or you drag them through the mud, with no in between. Apparently it got a buff before I ended up using it, but it still seems way too slow and weak to do any good in combat.

(And in case people assume I'm trying to rush opponents with the brella, no. I just mean that when you're cornered, you may as well just eat the bullets instead of fighting back, and save yourself some time on your trip back to spawn)

Edit:
PLEASE USE THE GODDAMN BEAKONS OH MY GOD

Last edited:

Jon914

Pro Squid
I have an awesome friend to twin with, but no awesomeness could win this matchup.

Still, we held them off for 4 minutes, and I splatted the Rising Moon members a few times.

risingmoon.png

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I finally managed to scrape enough ability chunks together to start making some proper gear, so the other day I started using my drink tickets for the first time. And naturally, the instant I used one I started losing like crazy. Back when I was just using experience tickets (which I have more than enough of to get me to level 50 already) I was winning plenty of matches. But the instant I use a ticket I actually care about, I get screwed over constantly. Here's a sample of my match history:

15 matches I played before using my first drink ticket, while I was still working off the matches on my last experience ticket. I'd say this is probably pretty reflective of how my performance in Turf War usually goes:

After using my first drink ticket:

I didn't give up after this, either (though I probably should have). I ended up going through about three-and-a-half drink tickets, and my results never really improved. I played some more this morning on a cash ticket (since I'd gone through all my money the day before, scrubbing slots) and I couldn't even win half my matches. I tried using the Aerospray RG to score some freshness bonuses, but nine matches later I was still on 1.5 freshness so I gave up and went back to my Brella. I did a little better after that, but not by much.

Some might say it's because I care about doing well on these tickets that I'm doing worse; that my nerves are making me play worse. But my average performance isn't that much lower (only about 50p). And at least part of the decrease can be ascribed to me having a harder time on those matches because of constant bull**** like repeatedly getting ganged up on by enemies, or getting pinned into spawn because the glorious matchmaking put all the long range weapons on the other team. In one particularly memorable case, my Brella had the longest range of anything on my team. The shortest range weapon the enemy team had was a Squiffer. I mean sure, I had issues like this in Turf War before, but they weren't happening as regularly.

It honestly feels like the instant I use a ticket that I actually care about making the most of, the universe makes it its mission to **** me over. And I didn't even get the gear I wanted either, after 70 games and about 10-12 attempts. I realise that's probably not all that unreasonable, probability-wise, but it's still another kick in the teeth after all the other bull**** I had to deal with.

And one last thing, on the subject of crap teammates: please, team, when I use an Ink Storm to try and help us push through a point we've been contesting for the last twenty seconds, don't suddenly decide you never really liked this part of the map anyway and **** off elsewhere. If I knew you were all going to pull a disappearing act I wouldn't have used my special, but now it's wasted. Thanks a lot.

Also, to the ****house Goo Tuber users I kept getting teamed with: I realise that there are people good enough at this game to make the Goo Tuber look halfway decent, but you are evidently not one of them. Kindly **** off and come back with a proper weapon.

Okay, I'm actually done now. Sorry for the rant. The game's really been pissing me off over the last couple of days :mad:

iced potato

Senior Squid
If you're gonna play Turf War, then please commit to inking the damn ground, it's not that hard to do. I'm getting tired of always being paired with with people who hop around only going for splats focusing on their kill count. If you're getting around or under 500p of inked turf, then you're doing it wrong. Stop ruining my games with your lackluster turfing and go play a different online shooter where kills are the objective.

It's just really annoying to have teammates who are good at splatting, but lose because they were just bad at the whole point of Turf War.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
For some reason I immediately thought of this thread the moment I heard the announcement: latest console update grants video capture functionality. For 30 seconds at a time. And so far only supports a few of their first-party games. Because Nintendo gotta Nintendo, right?

Anyway, I'm expecting some salt clips from this thread in the near future. =p

Foxtrot

Full Squid
This is definitely a nice feature to have, although I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever be able to use it effectively. Having it record 30 secs of what I've JUST played is gonna throw me off hard.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Where does the history of my friends factor in then? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You make good points, but until we get some hard data on the matchmaking system I'm going to assume it's Cthulhu under the city, slamming his tentacles against a thousand keyboards.
It's so puzzling. I played with my main friend tonight. This was our first time doing Splat Zones together. We've played plenty of TC and RM together and usually get our first game in the 1700-1800 range.

We went 12-3, but part of the reason was because it fed us a ton of games in the 1500-1600 range, a few 1800's (which we won) and a 2000 (which we lost). Almost all wins were KO's.

As a result, our final score was just 1850, but if the matchmaker had been more confident, we probably would have gotten higher.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
Man, I feel like I can't enjoy this game much anymore. Last Splatfest was so bad. I wanted to play my main weapon, Hero Charger, but whenever I played it my team always lost. Yes I'm aware that chargers aren't good for Turf Wars, I've heard it all the time. The thing is though back in Splatoon 1, even though I was a charger, I felt like I could still help my team. I've had amazing win-streaks with chargers during Splatfest or even during plain Turf Wars back in Sploon 1. It's like the opposite now in Sploon 2. I feel like I either have to give up playing my favorite weapon so my team can actually have a chance at winning or keep causing my team to lose. It's just so frustrating.

Even when I use a different weapon though, I don't have fun playing TW. TW has been so brutal lately. I mean, I know I'm not the greatest player but I feel like I shouldn't be getting destroyed so easily like I have been lately. It's like if I don't play completely serious, I get DESTROYED. BAD. That's not how I want to play Turf Wars. I want to goof around and try stupid shiz. I dunno, I just feel as if TW has become a mess now.

And yeah there's Ranked, but I hate Ranked. I don't want have a whole bunch of awful serious matches, I just want to have fun which I don't in Ranked. I'm not kidding when I say that Ranked gives me anxiety, kinda like how Turf is giving me anxiety now. I'm starting to wonder why I have this game anymore. Can't play my main, can't enjoy TW, and still dislike Ranked. Only joy is Salmon Run at this point. I guess I just want some advice beside being told to stop whining playing chargers.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Man, I feel like I can't enjoy this game much anymore. Last Splatfest was so bad. I wanted to play my main weapon, Hero Charger, but whenever I played it my team always lost. Yes I'm aware that chargers aren't good for Turf Wars, I've heard it all the time. The thing is though back in Splatoon 1, even though I was a charger, I felt like I could still help my team. I've had amazing win-streaks with chargers during Splatfest or even during plain Turf Wars back in Sploon 1. It's like the opposite now in Sploon 2. I feel like I either have to give up playing my favorite weapon so my team can actually have a chance at winning or keep causing my team to lose. It's just so frustrating.

Even when I use a different weapon though, I don't have fun playing TW. TW has been so brutal lately. I mean, I know I'm not the greatest player but I feel like I shouldn't be getting destroyed so easily like I have been lately. It's like if I don't play completely serious, I get DESTROYED. BAD. That's not how I want to play Turf Wars. I want to goof around and try stupid shiz. I dunno, I just feel as if TW has become a mess now.

And yeah there's Ranked, but I hate Ranked. I don't want have a whole bunch of awful serious matches, I just want to have fun which I don't in Ranked. I'm not kidding when I say that Ranked gives me anxiety, kinda like how Turf is giving me anxiety now. I'm starting to wonder why I have this game anymore. Can't play my main, can't enjoy TW, and still dislike Ranked. Only joy is Salmon Run at this point. I guess I just want some advice beside being told to stop whining playing chargers.
Turf's been getting brutal since the latter days of Squid Wars 1. People basically treating it as Rank Lite and hopping in just to lord it over the casuals. Now I think it's people treating it like Salmon Run, in that everything in motion must be mowed down, no exceptions. Way more people out for splats and not... yanno...covering turf.
The effective chargers I've seen are more mobile than before, mostly due to a lack of safe sniper perches. Plenty of training wheels snipers out there with the reintro of the E-Liter. Had one on my team the other day trying to turf instead of sniping (on a team elsewise full of shooters, buckets and rollers)... :rolleyes:

We've all had to adapt. You'll get back into the swing of it!

iced potato

Senior Squid
So Salmon Run might be partly (or mostly) to blame for this hyperaggressive player base in the Turf War lobbies?

Not too often, but I do run into these hyperaggressive players who are only out for blood and just wanna pummel everyone with endless bombs and specials like Splashdown and Baller. It's really not fun at all playing against people like that, even when you win against them. I've won against many teams who seemed so confident in their splatting skills that they didn't feel the need to ink turf to win. I really do hope they felt stupid for being that... well, stupid.

Sometimes it's just hard to enjoy casually playing or to farm for ability chunks when people like that ^^ are ruining the game for you.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Eh, I'm not knocking whatever mode people prefer to play, I'm just speculating because I've seen this kind of thing happen before. Squid Wars 1, we were obviously up against a crew who'd just come from Rank, because they all flocked to the same perch and defended that one spot to the death...and didn't ink turf at all. By the next round they'd gotten back to the Turf mindset and played normally.

First Turf match I had after the Pokemon Splatfest I swear I jumped at every twitch of the scenery because I expected imminent death. Modes have an effect on players =p

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
I had to deal with a grade-A **** in one of my Salmon Runs today.

We started off with a low tide Cohocks round. I had the Squiffer, which I'm frankly not very good with at the best of times, so I figured I'd do more good in one of the cannons than on the front lines. So I get into a cannon and start firing, and everything's going pretty well. Then suddenly I hear the sound of an Inkling drowning behind me. I get out of my cannon to look and sure enough, one of my teammates had drowned. There was nothing around that could have pushed him into the water; in fact, all the enemies were on the other side of the map. There was no reason for him to even be behind me at all. But whatever, I figure I should probably revive him, even if he's clearly an idiot.

So I get out of my cannon and revive him, then jump straight back in to make sure I can keep supporting my allies. But just before it zooms in to the cannon view, I'm treated to the sight of this moron making a mad dash for the cannon and flopping around the side of it uselessly when I beat him to it. Seconds later, he disconnected.

The childish ****er was so hung-up on getting into a cannon that he ****ing killed himself to lure me out of mine, then ragequit when he didn't get it. Jesus Christ, this mode needs a way to report people.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I really need to figure out how to counter skilled Splatling users. I encountered one in Turf Wars in a recent match, and it was a nightmare. No matter what I did, I just died in his presence. Flank him? Die. Lob bombs at him to distract him in hopes that an ally will kill him? Die (the ally dies too). Dodge his bullets, then fire at him? Die! It takes teamwork to kill this guy, and even then there's casualties. I spent my entire session trying to counter him. This may sound poor, but this guy dominated the field. We could not win with him still alive. The only trophy I could hold is being able to run away from him. The times he was on my team was a guaranteed win, but I didn't like that, because I wanted a chance to kill him. When I teamed up with him, I "Booyah!"d any enemies who managed to splat him. I also tried to observe him in hopes that I could counter him if he went against me. Sadly I never splatted this irritating fella once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom