• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Why is there suddenly this new mysterious group of people who swear by the E4K custom yet they never use it's sub or special, why

This wasn't like TW, this was in S+ Zones where i kept getting E4K customs in lobbies who routinely end games with <5 kills, didn't drop a single beakon and use 0 specials

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Chargers are still viable turf weapons. You just need to be confident, and know the quickest way to get ink out of your weapon. If there’s a big patch that needs inking quite close to you, tap shots can get it done quickly. Further, charge up your shots so you don’t have to move towards it, unless there’s no risk in moving forwards. Generally you wanna be a certain distance behind your team too, depending on the range of the charger.

This is pretty irrelevant tbh, I should probably be writing up a charger guide as it took me the longest and most in depth way to learn the weapon. I’m a bit tipsy though so, take what I’m saying witha. Pinch of salt

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
It's day old salt, but it checks out. My friends and I did a League session, Moray/Musselforge Zones, and the amount of e liters we got (of course only on Moray where they are still pretty good) gave me horrible flashbacks to Splatoon 1. It's like all the good e liter mains suddenly rose from the grave to take their revenge on me yesterday for enjoying Splatoon 2 so much without them constantly sucking the fun from most matches.

It didn't help that if it was annoying E liters, it was the new crazy brella constantly being thrown our way. I'm glad they just put out a patch to fix the broken firing and deployment speed.

Also for some extra salt bonus, which is about 5 days old now, but Rainmaker Twin league is nightmarish. To me RM only works as a solo queue or quad league mode. Having two different pairs likely formulating how to take the RM to the pedestal creates matches where it feels like your two teammates are a different kind of enemy on their own. (Sometimes they will make an RM carrier push when you aren't ready, or they take a less optimal route that you and your friend have ready, etc.) I don't intend on touching twin RM again in the foreseeable future.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I'm a bit torn right now, one good thing happened today (I ordered a pair of black Norimaki 750s and Murch managed to find a pair for me which had 3/4 slots with Special Charge Up, and I got the last slot with an ability drink), but my turf war performance was just lacklustre for me today. At least with the Sploosh-o-matic. I can always use the excuse that I've never used it before, and I'm very inexperienced with curling bombs. I don't understand exactly how to use them efficiently. Any curling bomb aficionados here that can give me some pointers? :oops:

I think I will just stick to what I do best for the remainder of the day and that is Salmon Run. ;)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Also for some extra salt bonus, which is about 5 days old now, but Rainmaker Twin league is nightmarish. To me RM only works as a solo queue or quad league mode. Having two different pairs likely formulating how to take the RM to the pedestal creates matches where it feels like your two teammates are a different kind of enemy on their own. (Sometimes they will make an RM carrier push when you aren't ready, or they take a less optimal route that you and your friend have ready, etc.) I don't intend on touching twin RM again in the foreseeable future.
Yesterday (in a game my wife and I lost), I wiped the entire team, and the RM carrier kept shooting and shooting and shooting instead of just..... going. This happens SO often in RM (especially in pairs). People don't realize that everyone died, and they need to go.

Another time (same game, I believe), I murdered three out of four. All my teammates except my wife were alive and with me, but I was the only one to pop the rainmaker shield, and then they didn't ink for me when I took the rainmaker. I died trying to make a path while my teammates did who knows what.

Rainmaker takes so much communication. Like you said, it can be very rough at times -- in pairs especially.

At least it's better than the tower match we played two days ago where our partners were just messing around at the spawn (sometimes inking, sometimes booyahing and sometimes just squidding around). Wife and I still made a good fight with it while playing 2v4, but eventually, something has to give.

iced potato

Senior Squid
I'm a bit torn right now, one good thing happened today (I ordered a pair of black Norimaki 750s and Murch managed to find a pair for me which had 3/4 slots with Special Charge Up, and I got the last slot with an ability drink), but my turf war performance was just lacklustre for me today. At least with the Sploosh-o-matic. I can always use the excuse that I've never used it before, and I'm very inexperienced with curling bombs. I don't understand exactly how to use them efficiently. Any curling bomb aficionados here that can give me some pointers? :oops:

I think I will just stick to what I do best for the remainder of the day and that is Salmon Run. ;)
I like using the Sploosh-o-matic for it's kit, I enjoy Curling Bombs. I'm not sure what advice to give because I tend to kinda spam them around really annoyingly. One thing you could try is "cooking" them by holding down R for a second or longer to shorten the distance they travel. That can throw some people off because most aren't going to expect a Curling Bomb to suddenly explode as soon as it's dropped!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I like using the Sploosh-o-matic for it's kit, I enjoy Curling Bombs. I'm not sure what advice to give because I tend to kinda spam them around really annoyingly. One thing you could try is "cooking" them by holding down R for a second or longer to shorten the distance they travel. That can throw some people off because most aren't going to expect a Curling Bomb to suddenly explode as soon as it's dropped!
That is a good tip! I knew about it, but it's not something I'd ever remember to implement into my game play... (Just like I always forget to use the rolls when I'm using the Dualies. *^.^*) I will try to remember for my next time! :3

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Yesterday (in a game my wife and I lost), I wiped the entire team, and the RM carrier kept shooting and shooting and shooting instead of just..... going. This happens SO often in RM (especially in pairs). People don't realize that everyone died, and they need to go.

Another time (same game, I believe), I murdered three out of four. All my teammates except my wife were alive and with me, but I was the only one to pop the rainmaker shield, and then they didn't ink for me when I took the rainmaker. I died trying to make a path while my teammates did who knows what.

Rainmaker takes so much communication. Like you said, it can be very rough at times -- in pairs especially.

At least it's better than the tower match we played two days ago where our partners were just messing around at the spawn (sometimes inking, sometimes booyahing and sometimes just squidding around). Wife and I still made a good fight with it while playing 2v4, but eventually, something has to give.
For good or for evil, I gave up on counting on teammates in RM (solo queue) a long time ago. Now I just go full rambo: run straight to the RM, kill all enemies I see (or try...), pick the d@*n thing up and go. It sounds like a crazy dumb strategy but it works more often then not. The number of times I've managed to squeak out a win making a desperate push which ends with me hopping around like a beached whale in enemy ink surrounded by baddies all by my lonesome it actually pretty funny.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I really need to figure out how to counter skilled Splatling users. I encountered one in Turf Wars in a recent match, and it was a nightmare. No matter what I did, I just died in his presence. Flank him? Die. Lob bombs at him to distract him in hopes that an ally will kill him? Die (the ally dies too). Dodge his bullets, then fire at him? Die! It takes teamwork to kill this guy, and even then there's casualties. I spent my entire session trying to counter him. This may sound poor, but this guy dominated the field. We could not win with him still alive. The only trophy I could hold is being able to run away from him. The times he was on my team was a guaranteed win, but I didn't like that, because I wanted a chance to kill him. When I teamed up with him, I "Booyah!"d any enemies who managed to splat him. I also tried to observe him in hopes that I could counter him if he went against me. Sadly I never splatted this irritating fella once.
Same! Splatlings give me so much grief. If I could add my own directional callout button, it would say "Stop letting the splatling murder us!". It so often feels like my team is doing nothing to stop a splatling who's standing up high somewhere just painting away. One interesting thing I've had some success with lately is using point sensors. With the recent update to sub power up, it causes the sensors to stay active longer than 8 seconds once they've touched an enemy. I put on a hat with a main + 2 subs of sub power up, and I'm not sure how long it added exactly, but it felt pretty significant. This has been a pretty good way to a) annoy the splatling user and b) let teammates know the location of the person who keeps destroying them so they can [hopefully] lob some bombs their way.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Heh heh. As someone that heavily uses the heavy splatling I sometimes find it disgusting at how easy I can just lay anchor somewhere then rule the surrounding area like a petty tyrant.

Point sensors can be annoying but I also shrug when I'm tagged by one, "Yeah, you all know where I am, but I know someone's coming. Now what?"

If you attack a splatling with a teammate, do not be near your teammate or you'll likely be mowed down by what's left of the charge. After all, a full charge is enough to splat three inklings!

Autobombs are annoying because they can force us to move. And it's even worse when they make us swim because we lose our charge and have to charge up again. If you pelt a splatling with a burst bomb, wait until they try to escape or ink their feet, otherwise they'll still mow you down while up to their ankles in enemy ink. Curling bombs you should cook the timer, ricochet it, or toss it an angle. If throwing a curling bomb at an angle and you're following it, suddenly move in a different direction to split up our attention between two objects. And with splat and suction bombs try tossing/rolling behind us or off to the side then encourage us to move in that direction.

Just a few ideas to help you get started in countering most splatling users. =)

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Last 5 Turf War battles were depressing. There's guy who dislike me for no reason (despite previous 4 battles he/she was just another normal player) because he/she kept taunting me only, not my team members. When he/she was on my team in last battle, he/she threw a game by taunting me then do nothing for last minute (well, apart from splatted four enemies I attempted to splat).

I would leave lobby but sometimes I ended up with same player(s). I was hoping that troll leave... Oh well.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Last 5 Turf War battles were depressing. There's guy who dislike me for no reason (despite previous 4 battles he/she was just another normal player) because he/she kept taunting me only, not my team members. When he/she was on my team in last battle, he/she threw a game by taunting me then do nothing for last minute (well, apart from splatted four enemies I attempted to splat).

I would leave lobby but sometimes I ended up with same player(s). I was hoping that troll leave... Oh well.
Do you have the splatnet app? You're fully within your rights to report that guy for "unsportsmanlike conduct", multiple times.

iced potato

Senior Squid
Reading that reminds me of this person a couple of months ago. I had a suspicion that they were playing with a friend and purposely throwing games when they weren't on their friend's team, possibly to help them level up faster or maybe to get the most out of a food/drink ticket? Who knows. It was just really annoying and dumb. Wish I had reported the idiot back then.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Do you have the splatnet app? You're fully within your rights to report that guy for "unsportsmanlike conduct", multiple times.
Yes, I have reported him/her.

Reading that reminds me of this person a couple of months ago. I had a suspicion that they were playing with a friend and purposely throwing games when they weren't on their friend's team, possibly to help them level up faster or maybe to get the most out of a food/drink ticket? Who knows. It was just really annoying and dumb. Wish I had reported the idiot back then.
Oh yeah, I have seen something similar to those guys, they threw games, on both same team & split into two teams. I have reported them as well.

D

Deleted Member

I didn't read any of the patch notes...
When I finally got my splash down special I thought I could finally do the "whoever splash downs first wins" thing... but appeartly they patched that out and I ended up losing the match due to my ignorance. Now that I've read the patch notes everythings much clearer. I'm a riot aren't I?

Now entering the sad-mines.

Jon914

Pro Squid
Is A the new B? I played RM solo on my main for the first time in weeks, and the level of play was shockingly poor.

Both teams would constantly beeline to the RM, push into the enemy base, and die over and over. No awareness whatsoever, no attempts at map control (except me), no flanking, it was like a redux of B or even C in some ways.

All I had to do to win was assist my team in getting a decent push, then sit back and lockdown the map to secure wins. The enemy team almost never got past our choke on Inkblot and never got up the wall on Moray.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
After my last play session, I'll will now leave a helpful guide for those struggling with Rainmaker! With these sick tips you'll be a champ in no time!

-Whoever has the RM wins by the amount of times they spend pressing ZR!
-If your teammates tell you "this way!" they're game throwers luring you in a trap. Make sure to stay as far away as possible. Make sure to instead rally with the spies on the other team near your own base, so that these other traitors can no longer put you in harm's way.
-NEVER MOVE. Don't do it. The entire RM meta is based about who gets the RM and presses the ZR button the most, so you will never ever need to move.
-As pressing the ZR button can be very straining, you might not want to do it. Instead, just leave the RM and pass on the duty to another teammate... even if they're not there.
-The information on the upper part of the screen is super valuable! For instance, if the squids on the right are greyed out, you must retreat. But if the squids on the left are being mostly greyed out instead, make a run for it! Move with the flow of the battle, and you'll win.
-Your teammates love the sound of you pressing ouch! Whenever you die by floundering in an inkstorm or going out of bounds, make sure to press ouch as often as possible so your team can give you a proper burial. That way, your spirit can pass on straight to the C- ranks.
-Splatting people is no way to go. That's super mean! You gotta play it like Mahatma Gandhi, and never lift your finger on any squid. If you're going 0/8 you're probably not winning, but you are winning in a philosophical sense. Someday they'll understand, my friend.

i'm totally not salty about getting dumped back to S+0 no siree

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom