• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Disclaimer: I don't hate the Octobrush, it's one of my favorite weapons to use in Splatoon and I love that more people like it this time around. I'm just really, really, REALLY frustrated with it right now.

Fighting Octobrushes can feel like such BS at times, and out of a 5 loss streak in ranked I had just now, 4 of those involved octobrush users who were just the most annoying things to battle against. Whether they are endlessly spamming auto bombs over walls to keep messing with me, or they some how manage to out range a splattershot with their flicks, I had the most agonizing time fighting them just now.

To make things worse in one round, I had a charger shoot and kill me at close range, I respawn, and they aim a sting ray right at me as I respawn, and manage to kill me with it. They were about to win the match, was that really necessary to kick me while I was down? I saw there were teammates of mine closer to their position, it's like they wanted to really make me feel like garbage specifically, despite the fact I never splatted them once during the match.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Look, Dessgeega is going to rant about ranked again! What a shocker! A friend just showed me this, and... Just watch.
Twenty-six. This guy just dropped TWENTY-SIX ranks in the course of a match. We now have confirmation that rank skipping also applies when going down, if just in S+ so far. Isn't Nintendo trying to market this to the Esports crowd? Those guys hate random factors in competitive games, and here there's no telling if you'll go up 1 rank or 4, if the bar will fill by a sliver or a third, on and on and on. There is zero consistency and no true way to tell a ranked player's skill level when the system throws people about.

I'm a "filthy casual" from here on out, turf and salmon run and league. I'm not wasting time on game modes this badly designed. Nintendo really dropped the ball with this new ranking system.
To be fair, competitive players never really cared about online ranks to begin with.
That's like some top FGC player complaining about the ranking system in Blazblue or something. So long as the game play is free from random factors, no one rightfully should care about how the ranking system works, at all. Online rank is a casual thing in almost every game.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
To be fair, competitive players never really cared about online ranks to begin with.
That's like some top FGC player complaining about the ranking system in Blazblue or something. So long as the game play is free from random factors, no one rightfully should care about how the ranking system works, at all. Online rank is a casual thing in almost every game.
You sure about that? I've seen a great many competitive players rush back to S+, among other types of rank fretting. I suppose you have a point though. It still irks me compared to the old point-based system, and it's certainly an oddity in regards to the matchmaking, as other threads can attest to.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I want to die.

You know, the whole reason i dropped Overwatch is because my favorite characters were getting nerfed, and now when I jump over to Splatoon 2 and see "the octobrush is way too powerful" or "tri-slosher OP pls nerf" i just want to slit my wrists. Is this what happens when you play a shooter, or am i just extremely unlucky? Honestly I'll never complain about another weapon again, if it means my babies won't get touched. Because if they do, I bet 20 super sea snails that it'll go overboard and make the weapon unfun.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I want to die

You know the whole reason i dropped Overwatch is because my favorite characters were getting nerfed, and now when I jump over to Splatoon 2 and see "the octobrush is way too powerful" or "tri-slosher OP pls nerf" i just want to slit my wrists. Is this what happens when you play a shooter, or am i just extremely unlucky?
This is how it is, yeah, this is what happens. Every competitive game ever (and a lot that aren't) has people that call for nerfs or bans or whatever of anything they don't like, just because they don't like it. Ever hear of the "noobtube"? Look that up for a laugh if you haven't.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
This is how it is, yeah, this is what happens. Every competitive game ever (and a lot that aren't) has people that call for nerfs or bans or whatever of anything they don't like, just because they don't like it.
I guess I'm just worried because i used to frequent the official overwatch blizzard forums, and the devs of the game actually went about nerfing or buffing characters based just off the whining of people who refused to improve themselves. Now, i know ninty doesnt browse these forums, but they came out with a balance patch 5 days after release, and theyll most likely keep being this snappy about balancing. Im okay with that normally, but im just really worried theyll take things in the wrong direction with balancing, and even worse, refuse to revert changes that were bad ideas after going live.

Forgotten Lands

Inkling
NNID
MrSaturn012
Switch Friend Code
SW-4386-3007-1327
I'm salty about Salmon run for completely different reasons than a lot of people. I actually kind of like the schedule thing they have set up but that's not what this is about.
This is about rounds that are impossible to win, Marooner's bay being a disgusting cesspool that shouldn't exist, and the universe being out to get me.

So I don't remember he specifics, except that the "special rounds" (Like Grillers, Goldie hunts, and Mothership) can be impossible with the weapons provided, whether you get overwhelmed because you don't have the fire rate even as a team, or you just can't kill enough enemies to get golden eggs. It's dumb sometimes, but it gets dumber.

Maroone'rs bay is a horrible map, anyone who like it should be thrown into a bay. we can start with the grates that cut off the egg basket from the rest of the map, and when it's high tide I don't know how many teammates have slipped into the abyss because they were in squid form a second too long, it's a gamble you have to take every time you want to turn in an egg. then we've got the fact that every wall in that map is uninkable, the only way to get to the egg basket is take a brisk walk around the map or try to operate the elevators, which is a car crash in itself. take a look at the other map, inkable walls, the grates are almost never needed, and the different levels of height are stacked well, not the 60 ft drop off the bow of the ship (which the shark boss can climb)

aight, last thing, I mentioned this a bit with the impossible rounds, but oh my gawd. Some of these team compositions are disgusting, I think one was a roller, and octobrush and a blaster, maybe maybe maybe for a turf war that could be lethal, but for a wave after wave of weak enemies it's over kill and cumbersome, and then the next day they have 3 splattershots and a squelcher. The only day I have ever considered balanced was the first.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I guess I'm just worried because i used to frequent the official overwatch blizzard forums, and the devs of the game actually went about nerfing or buffing characters based just off the whining of people who refused to improve themselves. Now, i know ninty doesnt browse these forums, but they came out with a balance patch 5 days after release, and theyll most likely keep being this snappy about balancing. Im okay with that normally, but im just really worried theyll take things in the wrong direction with balancing, and even worse, refuse to revert changes that were bad ideas after going live.
Nintendo's more likely to listen to the Japanese fanbase than us. They've proven pretty good (not perfect, but hey) at competitive balance with their games. If the first Splatoon and ARMS are anything to go by, you don't have anything to worry about.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
You sure about that? I've seen a great many competitive players rush back to S+, among other types of rank fretting. I suppose you have a point though. It still irks me compared to the old point-based system, and it's certainly an oddity in regards to the matchmaking, as other threads can attest to.
I feel an actual competitive player that plays apart of a team and goes for whatever Local/tournament etc things should really not care about their solo que rank. That's just silly. Regardless of what the game does to your rank, if you're actually a competitive player that strives to do your best, you'll get back to the rank you belong in anyway. Getting frustrated over rank just leads to you not playing your best which will only make things worse, especially in a team game where you're probably with 3 morons against 4 better players or something.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I have yet to see a victory splatling hug 2.0 ...we are alone in the universe... *quietly sobs in corner while cradling a splatling*
;~;
I really do miss the old Splatling win animation. It was REALLY cute. But the new one is really good in it's own way. Besides, the inkling does a precious little wink and a sonic style finger wag, it's charming. Wont ever make me NOT miss the splatling hug though.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I had a match last night in TC where all 4 of the opposing players had missiles as their special. There was a missile bombardment about every 5 seconds, making controlling the tower impossible. Honestly don't know what the counter to this would be.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I had a match last night in TC where all 4 of the opposing players had missiles as their special. There was a missile bombardment about every 5 seconds, making controlling the tower impossible. Honestly don't know what the counter to this would be.
that sounds absolutely awful. I cant believe there are people who think tenta missiles arent good.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
The Itano Circus was always inevitable!

Mildly surprised we don't see too many of them. Maybe I'm just not at a high enough rank yet, as right now it's all about that aerospray and its curling bomb special.

But I'm sure in a league match they can be even worse whether the launches are properly synchronized or sequential.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Yes yes I know, I'm sure people are sick of my crusade against ink armor on this site, but I'm almost at my wits end with how much people are using it. Every time I turn the game on I feel a sense of dread knowing I will likely have to deal with hordes of Tri sloshers and N Zaps using ink armor to utterly sap all the fun from the game.

If by some chance anyone has been watching the "Hero of Lime's Hatred for Ink Armor Chronicles™ " you would see I went from:

"haha, this special is annoying, but at least it's not a bubbler! :rolleyes:"

to "M-maybe Ink Armor is worse than the bubbler or kraken, maybe not though... :oops:"

to modern day "Ink Armor is far worse than the bubbler and kraken combined, and no one can tell me otherwise! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻ "

If anyone has a good strategy to countering ink armor, I would like to hear it. As far as I'm concerned, you either retreat, losing a ton of ground to a full team of near invincible foes, or you shred off their armor (maybe) and die as two just swarm you. If it was just the user who got the armor, then you could make some excuses for the special, as the N Zap and Trislosher, as good as they are, don't have too much range. But now imagine the user's allies with nice longer range weapons getting an easy push and some easy kills shooting retreating enemies in the back.

I'm genuinely having much less fun with the game right now because of how much people are just flocking to ink armor weapons. I can't be the only one running into too many people using the special too, especially in the A and S ranks where I am currently. Turf War is also overrun from what I can tell, but I can deal with losing some turf matches and not get too upset. But being totally honest, they are just as annoying to battle there too.

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
*Contently sitting in a corner, wearing an 'I hate pro squid snipers' t-shirt and eating salt and vinegar chips at the worst time*
...What?

....Did you want some or something??

GreatGateway

Full Squid
From A- to B-.

Being a support main is a gamble. I have to be this role because I want to help despite being terrible at combat. I am totally reliant on my teammates, and when they don't even know how to turn into squids at A RANK, I think I get a free pass to blame them.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
From A- to B-.

Being a support main is a gamble. I have to be this role because I want to help despite being terrible at combat. I am totally reliant on my teammates, and when they don't even know how to turn into squids at A RANK, I think I get a free pass to blame them.
Gotta ask, did that drop happen one rank at a time or all at once? Either way, I feel your pain.

GreatGateway

Full Squid
Gotta ask, did that drop happen one rank at a time or all at once? Either way, I feel your pain.
All 3 ranks in one day. I couldn't stop myself, I just wanted to win, even once. I did my job, I placed beacons, painted turf, picked off individuals etc, but I just couldn't win.

Bad day for all 3 games I played. 15 straight losses in Yugioh, no relics in Crash Bandicoot and now this. I wish I had talent like everyone who taunts me. Feels like every 2nd player can brag about getting to S+ while I try my hardest to escape the "git gud" zone. :(

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
All 3 ranks in one day. I couldn't stop myself, I just wanted to win, even once. I did my job, I placed beacons, painted turf, picked off individuals etc, but I just couldn't win.
Usually if I lose too much within a short period or more, I step back, take a break...this was a big important thing for Splatoon 1 at least. Feels more important than ever in Splatoon 2, due to how the ranking system works. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and try again later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom