• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@zzmorg82 Likely yes, you are in the minority here. The reason why we dislike squid/octo/sea/tea/grocery baggers is because the whole gesture comes of as childish, rude, and unsportsmanlike. I've never bagged anyone intentionally. It's an immature action that immediately lets me know that there is someone that I have no need to partake in further dealings with. Personally, I report squids that use such lascivious taunts for being unsportsmanlike. General rule of thumb, don't just tolerate it if someone is doing something to make the environment of an online game intolerable. You don't have to accept someone being toxic. As far as I am concerned, they can go be by themselves and let the rest of us enjoy our game.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I am salty today because for some reason everyone in ranked has decided to try out the tenta brella for their very first time and get a max of 2 splats.

I am salty because I did not have a Wii U or Splatoon 1, and every time I start to feel like I'm catching up on my skill & map knowledge in this game, they add another map from the first game, setting me back a little more each time.

I am also extremely salty because I can apparently no longer play Rainmaker or Tower Control without getting 2 Sting Ray spammers on the opposing team. Not much you can do when there's almost constantly someone stingray-ing you in the face from the safety of their spawn.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
The unfortunate way that those modes were designed, really. Both Rainmaker and Tower Control rely on mobile objectives and Stingrays are a good way to make mobile things not mobile anymore. Trust me, it was much the same way back in Splatoon 1 with the Killer Wail. In this game, you can at least try to get away from the Stingray if you get hit by it. If you were caught by the Killer Wail, that was it. Though the trade off for it no longer being a one hit kill is that it is now more mobile and last longer. Pick your poison, really.

What I'm worried about is how strong the Stingray will be once Camp Triggerfish drops. I'm getting scared just thinking about it. *shudders and cries*

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Oh I'm certain it'll be pretty strong!

Especially since the stage has a lot of corridors and straightaways, not just the main two we're all thinking of.

And even if someone ducks out of a corridor, hugs a wall, or hangs onto a ledge all you have to do is either sweep or stop then reposition,

Try not to think about the consequences of there being more than one team Sting Ray at Camp Triggerfish.

In fact, expect things to be very wild for a bit on that stage when it comes to specials, chargers, and brellas.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Well at least I can look forward to there being some fun for me with my Brellas. :)

I also know that there is plenty of fun to be had with Splatlings there. In combination with the horror that will be Stingrays at Camp Triggerfish, I'm sure I'll be having plenty of fun.

Now that I think about it, "Stingrays at Camp Triggerfish" sounds like the title of a Splatoon based horror movie! I wonder if any scripts have been written for this? Or maybe it already exists?! I need to know this now!

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
So here I am, playing solo queue, winning a ton of matches, having fun, and thinking "maybe splatoon 2's ranked system isn't that bad".
But oh boy was I dead wrong.

So here are 3 clips of what I've personally received in game.

(Notice on how little bar I had left on the last video, and if you didn't, I have a picture right here)

So that's what I get when I play ranked.
And then I go on twitter a couple days later to see this:

Someone with not one, not two, but 3 cracks skipping ranks.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to skip ranks for months now because the game simply doesn't want me to. But people with 3 cracks, losing way more games than me get a skip? Yeah sure, that's fair nintendo. Absolutely disgusting.

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
Help would be nice. I know the tips like carrying 9 clams, super jumping, etc. But I don't have any overarching strategy or coordination with my teammates
Ooh, that can be really tricky-since a lot of it relies on other players, it's hard to have something to do yourself that can work for sure. But one thing I've found helps a lot is to check your teammates' clam numbers, and pass a few to the players that seem to be aiming to break the barrier. (A still works to toss clams even when the barrier is up!) It'll help them keep focused on their objective of getting to the goal, and it'll help you keep hidden by minimizing your clam trail.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@NOICE Oh you will know our pain. You will feel the wrath of the Killer Wail Stingray. You will be hit from the other side of the bridge by that Charger that you didn't see until it was too late. You will know the fear of the base invaders crossing over from the mesh bridge. You will be Triggered. Oh yes, you will be Triggered.

It might not be all that bad with the redesign, but if it is anything like it was in Splatoon 1, then prepare for good times. Despite what I just said, I'm not even joking. This stage can be a lot of fun! Various strategies can be employed here to great effect and it's fun figuring out the best way to poke holes in your enemy's defenses here. I'm looking forward to it!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Though expect heavy amounts of salt from me if they decide to child-proof the stage like they've done with Moray Towers and Arowana Mall.

Squids these days are getting soft and need to know the importance of stage hazards!

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
Picture the scene.

I am S+2 in zones, trying to convince myself I’m not going to hit a wall in the low S+ ranks. The new Rank X has given me the motivation to try to go higher, it’s been a difficult road but it has reached a climax. The bar is millimetres from being filled, but conversely there are 3 cracks in it, and I’m convinced one more game will decide whether I move onward and upward (possibly with rank skips if the ridiculous inconsistencies are to be believed) or crumble and fall back down to the start of S+2. The tension is unbearable as 4 purple squids shake the ink off their heads and get ready to do battle. It’s a good back and forth game, but my team of mauve rogues have the upper hand, and have an incredible point lead, and after wiping the opposition one more time we looked set to win.

But alas, somebody in my house decided to start downloading fortnite mid game! My WiFi couldn’t cope and the game disconnected me. The nintengods smiled upon me though and gave me one last chance. The bar remained exactly the same as at the start of that match.

So how did I f*** it up?

How about the opposition immediately takes the lead, and the team I’m a part of continues to trickle into battle one by one as the zone clock ticks down, all maybe getting a trade before dying and repeating the same process again and again. How about the clock making it all the way down to 3, before stopping, but with practically every squid on the team dead, we are unable to capitalise and the clock ticks down to 0 without us scoring a single point.

I mean we had a better team composition when one guy disconnected right after the intros. The other team had to win in overtime, and all of us were working twice as hard, and yes, if you’re wondering that disconnect game did result in a crack. I guess that may as well be the crack that would’ve occurred at my own disconnect come early.

This game frustrates me.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
That's bad enough without the disconnect.
Heheh, worst part was it literally took til about 3 in the morning to finish downloading. They did thoughtfully pause the download for me to play that horrible last game though, and then took a switch to the foot when I lost heheh.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@RelicRaider Ooo... I'm sorry. That is a bad happenstance to get yourself into. For what it's worth, similar things happen to me a lot. It's like the Goddess of Misfortune looks at my progress and then makes a split decision to screw it up for me one game before I would make said progress! If she is listening to this, I don't know what kind of a person you are, but you can be a real b**** sometimes!

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Though expect heavy amounts of salt from me if they decide to child-proof the stage like they've done with Moray Towers and Arowana Mall.

Squids these days are getting soft and need to know the importance of stage hazards!
I have to think that the changes made to those stages were to make the stages more consistent in a competitive environment. Y'know, less chance of things going awry due to random occurrence. That having been said, I am not the biggest fan of all of these changes and would like to see something that keeps some of these people on their toes! Making a level a bit harder to traverse isn't always the worst thing in the world. It teaches you the value of situational awareness, something we all need to be better with.

On the topic of stage changes, they should bring back Hammerhead Bridge. Whatever changes they make to this stage would be validated by the idea that the bridge has been under construction even before the events of the first Splatoon. Seeing it get closer to completion or even fully completed would just make good sense!

Reactions: the

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom