• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
On the topic of stage changes, they should bring back Hammerhead Bridge.
Respectfully disagree. Hammerhead was always such an instant spawn-camp situation for me in Splat1 that I eventually stopped playing whenever it was in the rotation.

In personal-salt news...

I keep getting disconnected in the first ten seconds of every Turf match I try to get into. Last night it even booted me out of Salmon Run. I don't know if one of the trees that came down when it snowed nicked the satellite dish, or if our service is just going completely to pot, or what. I dealt with the leech on our network, so that's not it. But I have noticed our signal gets weirdly unstable at random. Guess I better call the satellite guy to come poke at it yet again :mad:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I really, really want to name and shame two people... but I can't and won't. Suffice to say there are dedicated match throwers in the community that I and friends have run into that consistently do this, and I wish the pox on them for their obnoxious booyah spam and other toxic behavior. So angry...

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Rhetorical question: how does anyone even make it out of the bottom tier ranks in Rainmaker?

Half my matches yesterday, I'm holding a line... Holding... Where's my teammates? Check the map... In the back corner by our spawn swimming in circles? *Check* Inking turf in flanker territory while they have the Rainmaker in ours? *Check*

Can some squid please help me hold a line?! I'm not good enough to triple splat on the regular with no backup. *Groan*

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
Not sure how but I'm at the point that turf wars are 1000% more difficult than the B ranked matches I'm up to.

I can very easily go in to the B rank with clean gear and still clean up house 80%of the time.

With full gear(not perfect but decent) playing turf war I'm up against entire teams of people in full perfect gear at least 2 of them using the hero versions of the weapons not that that is a bad thing, but man....

I go in there trying out a new weapon type and I get absolutely curb stomped. Recently I've just been doing grizzco when I want to play with the wife but that really hasn't gone much better. Last night was better but a few nights ago we both went from pro to go getter in less than 10 matches. It's great when you get a disconnect while still on the matchmaking screen....

I'm obviously not the best player out there but wow. It's like some of the people in there give their controller to their kid or something.

When we got paired with good people we got 3-4 times quota.

Just venting really, been playing more than usual trying to prep for splatfest. Last splatfest I took a 2 week break of the game before it happened, and it showed.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Rhetorical question: how does anyone even make it out of the bottom tier ranks in Rainmaker?

Half my matches yesterday, I'm holding a line... Holding... Where's my teammates? Check the map... In the back corner by our spawn swimming in circles? *Check* Inking turf in flanker territory while they have the Rainmaker in ours? *Check*

Can some squid please help me hold a line?! I'm not good enough to triple splat on the regular with no backup. *Groan*
Assuming you mean the C and lower B ranks by "bottom tier", just make sure you pop the rainmaker at the start, grab it yourself and push it as far as you can (look up rainmaker maps to find the best routes and highest point area to push to), and then play defense the rest of the time, pushing with the rainmaker when you see a good opportunity or when you fall behind. The philosophy is basically "the other team is just as bad as yours", so get aggressive and catch them unprepared. Basic things like thoroughly reconning maps before you play and looking up routes/point areas will give you a big advantage in the lower ranks where nobody really has a game plan.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
And since I came here to brush the salt off my shoulder:

I think octobrushes might force me to quit playing this game. I hate playing against them so much. The attack range makes it basically a little splashdown that can be deployed at any time. Even when I know they're there and I think I have them outranged, they somehow get me. Getting splatted by one affects me the way people squidbagging are trying to affect me. Something about the "wap wap wap splat" just infuriates me like nothing else in this game. Actually I would say that literally nothing in the game makes me mad except getting splatted by an octobrush.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Assuming you mean the C and lower B ranks by "bottom tier", just make sure you pop the rainmaker at the start, grab it yourself and push it as far as you can (look up rainmaker maps to find the best routes and highest point area to push to), and then play defense the rest of the time, pushing with the rainmaker when you see a good opportunity or when you fall behind. The philosophy is basically "the other team is just as bad as yours", so get aggressive and catch them unprepared. Basic things like thoroughly reconning maps before you play and looking up routes/point areas will give you a big advantage in the lower ranks where nobody really has a game plan.
I knew this was the answer. Such as the match where I splatted their carrier, picked it up, and ran it all the way back to goal. Meanwhile, their likely similarly frustrated player watched his team let me swim by, unaccosted, in favor of setting up an ambush for my rando teammates.

I just needed to whine about it.

Phichikapparho

Full Squid
NNID
Phichi
I have noticed that on Rainmaker it seems that people don't understand that the rainmaker is the most important part of that particular battle type.

A few times it's worked out really well for me as I was able to basically solo run the thing in through half the map with zero opposition. But it sucks when you're on the team that has three people that don't seem to give a "whatever" about the rainmaker.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I think octobrushes might force me to quit playing this game. I hate playing against them so much. The attack range makes it basically a little splashdown that can be deployed at any time. Even when I know they're there and I think I have them outranged, they somehow get me. Getting splatted by one affects me the way people squidbagging are trying to affect me. Something about the "wap wap wap splat" just infuriates me like nothing else in this game. Actually I would say that literally nothing in the game makes me mad except getting splatted by an octobrush.
That and inkbrushes (even when I'm the one using them)! =p

For me it mainly has to do with the deceptive range caused by the droplets that do little damage but provide additional range and quickly stack from the frantic swinging.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Heh speaking of Rainmaker, I had a game the other day where we had the lead with seconds left (thanks to me hard carrying the game). Unfortunately my teammate who picked up the rainmaker stood in a terrible spot near our base and just squidbagged, allowing the enemy to walk up and kill them then win from there. Now I coulda prevented that with my special, but I was just so dumbfounded with my teammate lol.

And since I came here to brush the salt off my shoulder:

What weapon do you play? The Octobrush has a surprising amount of range, I think over 2 lines worth, and with the huge hit box the match-up becomes all about out-ranging them, since fighting them within their range is certain death. They'll be really tough for anything with near equal or less range. So my probably obvious advice before you quit the game (ha!) is play a weapon with more range. The Dualie Squelchers are a good counterpick.

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
That and inkbrushes (even when I'm the one using them)! =p

For me it mainly has to do with the deceptive range caused by the droplets that do little damage but provide additional range and quickly stack from the frantic swinging.
Not to mention they almost all seem to be mainlining every speed-up available to squidkind...

Ran into an invulnerable nzapper this morning. No ink armor in evidence either time, and somehow he seemed to be outranging me. Too bad he was dumb enough to think he could spawn-camp on Moray.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Octobrushes. Man, do they make me mad! They have such a huge range (at least in comparison to other melee weapons in the game) and wide arc that all they really have to do is swing in the general direction of where the problem is and soon there won't be a problem there anymore.

But I also take issue with the Sploosh-o-Matic. I probably die facing this weapon more often than any other weapon. Could just be that I am an idiot, but facing these things make me rage! I know that they have bad range, but it seems like, even when I have the advantage and get the drop on them, they still have time to turn and beat me cleanly because of how much damage that stupid weapon can output. I wish there were a way to nerf its already terrible range even further!

the

Inkling Commander
I have never played against a clash blaster with a brush before

I certainly have never played against THREE clash blasters with a brush before

@Ansible I am so sorry this was the game you had to get stuck with me

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Pffft! And who says you can't win with a meme team?!

's alright, there was hardly much any of us could do. One clash, sure, easy enough to fight. Two or three grouping together? With three of our weapons of equali-ish range? And their N-Zap constantly poking us? "gg no re pass salt plz"

But don't worry—it was an annoying match—yet Mantle and I were enjoying ourselves throughout the rotation.

You're always welcome to play with if you need a twin or can find a fourth for quad.

Reactions: the

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Back here to lay down some unsurprising clash blaster hate.

Grrr.... Clash blasters. Grrrr... I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.

Part of me wonders if I'll end up switching mains before I finally get to A+ or S. Still lots of practice needed to get my skills there, but mobility is such a chore. I'm tired of doing all the turfing. It's really hard to protect and provide flank opportunities when I have to repaint the entire way back, or risk getting trapped by blasters or dualies.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
I have a hard time understanding why people say Splat Zones is the best solo mode and is easiest to rank up in. I find it so incredibly stressful, because often times it feels like you can't make A SINGLE MISTAKE. We can be doing great with a nice lead, we can be choking off all their points of entry, but die once, and next thing ya know, our whole team has been wiped, and they've somehow managed to lock US out, and some incredible spawn camp master with a blaster or a roller manages to repeatedly splat myself or my teammates before we've even made it close to taking back the zone (and does anyone pay attention to the "OUCH" signifying this person is camping under some dropoff near our spawn? Of course not!)

Sincerely,
Angry squid who was once at S+14, deranked, is now finally back at S+14, and is now 2 losses away from deranking once again :(

EDIT: Yep, I deranked. Shoutout to the breathtakingly good blaster who destroyed my team several times!

Last edited:

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
Splat zone is not the easiest to level up in by a long shot. I'm B in Splatzones and my match power levels are already closing in on 1800s. Almost every match is a struggle, and I have to be on the ball. Meanwhile, I'm B in tower control, my match power levels rarely approach 1500, and I'm progressing toward A steadily.

If Splat Zones really is the only mode that most competitive squids play, it shows. I always know I'm in for an uphill battle when it's on rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom