• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

THE HARD DATA: Guns, Subs, Specials, and Abilities - Range, DPS, and more

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Interesting. But it need to be tested in application.

Could you potentially test the damage of some more guns with the sub damage modifiers...against the damage+ targets? Specifically, the .52 Gal, Jr., Splattershot, Dual Squelcher, and N-Zap? Example: slap on the 3 Damage+ sub abilities, and shoot the Defense+1 dummy, then tell me how much damage it does. If it's 52 damage, then that means the 3 Damage+ subs neutralize the 1 Defense+ Main ability.

It's just testing to see if any amount of Damage+ sub-abilities can counter Defense+ main abilities...if so, a Damage+ sub abilities could be pretty important for the guns mentioned above (especially the .52 Gal).

WhiteKnight

Inkling
I know I wasn't the one you asked to test it, but this information piqued my interest and made me want to look into it.

So with 3 damage+ subs, one shot at the defense+1 dummy did the following amount of damage:

.52 Gal: 51.7
Splattershot: 35.8
Splattershot Jr: 27.8
Dual Squelcher: 27.8
N-Zap '85: 27.8

Also, since the .52 Gal is one of my main weapons and happens to be a good case study for how defense+ abilities can increase shots to kill, I decided to up the ante.

So with 4 damage+ subs, one shot from the .52 Gal does:

defense+1 dummy: 52.8
defense+2 dummy: 50.3
defense+3 dummy: 48.6

Which means I don't think any amount of damage+ subs will perfectly cancel out any amount of main defense up buffs. Or at least I wasn't able to find one when playing around with main and sub combinations.

However, to answer your last question: At least in the case of the .52 Gal, 4 damage+ subs is enough to kill somebody with 2 defense+ mains in the same number of shots. Which is pretty good considering in this scenario your opponent is investing in defense far more than you are investing in offense. And although I haven't seen too may people actually use 2 defense+ mains, they do exist.

Anyway, I don't know if any of the above info is useful, but at least its there. I will likely play around with this some more and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Even just 1 sub Damage Up counters 1 main Defense Up for the .52 Gal, so you should definitely have at least one if you use that weapon often.

Likewise I'd assume 2 subs would counter 1 main + 1 sub as well, but testing sub Def is pretty hard.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
can anyone tell me more about x3 Ink savers sub if its good save with x3 Ink Recovering sub?

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
No numbers on Nozzlenose yet?
Initial update made with recent weapon additions. Been really busy with life; if anyone wanted to step up and help pull some of these numbers, I'd be glad to give you editing access to the google doc.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Initial update made with recent weapon additions. Been really busy with life; if anyone wanted to step up and help pull some of these numbers, I'd be glad to give you editing access to the google doc.
I can make test videos like this one, just need to know what combination of weapons and items to make. I was curious to how much damage I could stack up for this video :)

Last edited:

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
As a Splash-o-matic and L-3 Nozzlenoze user with a capture card, could I help in getting the data for those guns on here?

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
I can make test videos like this one, just need to know what combination of weapons and items to make. I was curious to how much damage I could stack up for this video :)
Thanks! But unless you're counting frames in them with a capture card, videos are nowhere as useful as hard numbers. On my phone now it's hard to tell what you're doing, looks like damage testing. Instead if taking tons of time with recording and uploading, can you just provide data in a simple format: gun used, abilities added, damage, and % difference in damage?

@The Apple BOOM that would fantastic :]

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Thanks! But unless you're counting frames in them with a capture card, videos are nowhere as useful as hard numbers. On my phone now it's hard to tell what you're doing, looks like damage testing. Instead if taking tons of time with recording and uploading, can you just provide data in a simple format: gun used, abilities added, damage, and % difference in damage?

@The Apple BOOM that would fantastic :]
It's not so much for counting frames and pixels, more to show proof of said numbers. I'll be glad to just post numbers, but as I've read here sometimes people report the wrong number data so at least a video gives some reference.

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Good thought, but numbers are more than great. I triple check everything before adding it to the Google doc, so that'll act as one barrier to mistakes.

But with damage and defense +, I dont think its worth more work. So far all testing shows that you can't decrease # shots to kill, and I'd be very surprised to see that change.

With the recent patches, there are a bunch more abilities to test and update - from ninja squid to super jump speed. See anything blank on the sheet if you want to add something :)

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
umm not sure if this is known but i've gotten my charger rapid fire to go from 3HKO to 2HKO by stacking attack ups. i have 3 mains and 3 subs, but i know it only takes 3 mains and 2 subs to get it to 50.05 damage. (when i do two shots , it shows up as 100.1, so I'm guessing each shot is 50.05)

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Can you take a video for evidence?

I'm honestly just impressed/jealous that you have 3 main + 3 sub damage+s.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
yea i will. its currently uploading.

in the meantime i'm just going to list down the damages i get with weapons i presume dont have damage caps

3 mains 3 subs

96 gal - 78.2
splat bomb/suction bomb/ink mine/seeker - 227.3
burst bomb - 75.7
kraken - 202.05
inkzooka - 189.4
blaster - 157.8
luna blaster - 157.8
dynamo roller (roll) - 202.05
dynamo roller (fling) - inkonclusive. the way the ink spreads varies too much. the highest i got was 291.9
splat roller (roll) - 176.8
splat roller (fling) - ** highest 285.6
carbon roller (roll) - 88.4
carbon roller (fling) - ** highest 217.0

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
I think Chargers are a special case since the damage is based on the level of charge compared to the maximum. If there is a cap, I'd imagine it'd be the same no matter how much you charge. Which is why half-charges can become oneshots, since a full charge obviously does.

@PHYTO-1 Oh, that video is private

Last edited:

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Thanks for doing this. But unless time to kill is changed, damage doesn't really matter. So as long as a Roller fling is a OHKO regardless of Defense+s, we don't really need to know its exact damage.

But with that said, there are specific guns worth testing. Which is basically...everything you didn't list above. Examples:
  • Splattershot Pro
  • All SMGs: Aerospray, Splattershot Jr., etc
  • Chargers: roughly what % of charge does it take to do 100 damage, and what's the range at that charge?
  • How many powerups does it take for Burst Bombs to do 50 damage?
So if we can confirm that the Splattershot Pro is locked in at 3 shots to skill (stops at 49 damage), it's good confirmation of the damage cap.

WhiteKnight

Inkling
I would also like request additional testing for the blasters. Im assuming the numbers you have are for direct hits, but with damage ups its possible to deal 100 damage from an AOE hit. So a video of how far away your able to shoot and still kill a dummy with the explosion would be useful information.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
@PHYTO-1 Oh, that video is private
thank you, fixed.

Thanks for doing this. But unless time to kill is changed, damage doesn't really matter. So as long as a Roller fling is a OHKO regardless of Defense+s, we don't really need to know its exact damage.

But with that said, there are specific guns worth testing. Which is basically...everything you didn't list above. Examples:
  • Splattershot Pro
  • All SMGs: Aerospray, Splattershot Jr., etc
  • Chargers: roughly what % of charge does it take to do 100 damage, and what's the range at that charge?
  • How many powerups does it take for Burst Bombs to do 50 damage?
So if we can confirm that the Splattershot Pro is locked in at 3 shots to skill (stops at 49 damage), it's good confirmation of the damage cap.
everygun i didnt show has the known damage cap of shots to kill. 49.9 / 33.3 etc.

i just posted those numbers in case anyone was curious as to if those weapons had caps

and to see how their damage grows.
example) rapid fire charger shots goes from 50.05 to 50.5 (+0.45) from a third sub attack up. Burst bombs get a +0.7
However all other weapons get about a +2.

with the three subs and three mains, its is pretty much two pixels to the left of a 50% charge for the e-liter for 100 dmg with a range of about 4.5 lines

3 Lines ~69 dmg ~25% charge
4 lines ~87 dmg ~45% charge
5 lines ~109 dmg ~60% charge
6 lines ~129 dmg ~75% charge
7 lines ~149 dmg ~99% charge
7 lines + 3 steps back -227.3 dmg -Full charge

Burst bombs have a base damage of 60. so it would probably take two negative attack ups to make it drop to 50.

As for the blaster AOE, in short, it is about a full reticle adjacent to the dummy.(have the edge of the crosshairs touch the body of the dummy). Normally without attack ups it would get you about 85~90 dmg - assuming you are at the optimal distance of 2 lines

for the luna blaster, at 1.5 lines, you want the edge of the crosshairs to touch the ears of the dummy. thats about half an inkling away.

for both, ballshots (or shots that didnt explode as they hit the ground early) do about 40 dmg

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
It's useful for two things, one is to know the damage caps and diminishing returns for weapons and abilities, and the other is more practical: effective range increase.

Here's a test with 3 main Damage Up abilities with the Luna Blaster, standing as far back as I could:

It might not look like much, but remember it increases the AoE in all directions.

Anyway if you want to see some damage caps, I've been using this spreadsheet for a while:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTOoUgD0a-BOiwWNRcpUO4ImC6Txv4I-wqVNpvwOx2Y/edit#gid=0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom