• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Meta's most underrated weapons.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Of course in the right hands any weapon can "demolish", that doesn't make it a great weapon. In league of legends and many other games with lots of choices for people to use there are those that "main" one specific champion and they usually have strong performances against players with no experience playing against that character. Does that make the character they play as strong? Not really because when they play against players that are accustomed to playing against the character they play against they don't do so well.
I'd say overall the Squiffer is a really good weapon. Not what I would call top tier but close

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Of course in the right hands any weapon can "demolish", that doesn't make it a great weapon. In league of legends and many other games with lots of choices for people to use there are those that "main" one specific champion and they usually have strong performances against players with no experience playing against that character. Does that make the character they play as strong? Not really because when they play against players that are accustomed to playing against the character they play against they don't do so well.
The power of the squiffer is that it one shots at above 96 gal and ss pro range while charging very quickly. You can't react to it if the person knows how to aim, and it's almost impossible to kill a squiffer if they consistantly twitch.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The power of the squiffer is that it one shots at above 96 gal and ss pro range while charging very quickly. You can't react to it if the person knows how to aim, and it's almost impossible to kill a squiffer if they consistantly twitch.
Which is why I'm glad (;)) it's underrated. The last thing I want to fight is a charger with literally no counter aside of the Jet Squelcher (which barely even classifies as one) and the E-Liter 3K (what doesn't it counter?)

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
And how often do expect as a squiffer to be in a 1v1? There are so many variables that all work against the squiffer that it really doesn't matter. In the absolute perfect scenario, the squiffer is probably one of the best weapons out there. The problem is, there is no absolute perfect scenario outside of the weapon testing area

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
And how often do expect as a squiffer to be in a 1v1? There are so many variables that all work against the squiffer that it really doesn't matter. In the absolute perfect scenario, the squiffer is probably one of the best weapons out there. The problem is, there is no absolute perfect scenario outside of the weapon testing area
In my experience, the Squiffers wins a 1v1 agaisnt a pro if they play right.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Really? There are so many variables? Care to list them?

I never said anything about 1v1s, but since you decided to mention it, 1v1s happen constantly throughout the game. You can force them by holding points that the enemy has to go through. But that doesn't even matter because it has better range than ss pro and 96 gal, meaning a pretty long *** range. It doesn't need 1v1s when it can pick off enemies before they even get in range, so I don't really see what you are getting at here. Obviously there is no perfect scenario, but I never described a perfect scenario so your point is hyperbole and a red herring.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Really? There are so many variables? Care to list them?
Uh how about there are 6 other people playing the same game? Their guns, their subs, the map, the area of the map everyone is occupying? Do those suffice for you?

And I only mentioned 1v1s as an example, and how exactly are you going to pick someone off if they're not in range? You make it sound like the squiffer is this god like gun that just picks people off whenever wherever when it actually can't and that's the point. Just because you do well with it, doesn't mean it's good. It just means you're good.

In my experience, the Squiffers wins a 1v1 agaisnt a pro if they play right.
And I've seen high level squiffers lose fights when they play ok, not great but not terrible.

Hell I've won 1v1's against elite 3k's with a tentatek, does that make the tentatek amazing against eliter's? Hell no, just because you see someone do something awesome doesn't mean it's the gun that did it, it's the person that holds it not the gun.

Last edited:

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
The Squiffer is legit, quit acting like that's debatable.

What I'd rather debate is that the New Squiffer is actually better than the Classic. I don't think the Bubbler works all that well with a charger, seeing as if you have need to shield yourself, you're probably getting shot at, and if you're getting shot at, you're going to be bounced around seemingly randomly and this can mess with your aim. If you're a charger and you need to shield yourself, odds are it's because you've got multiple opponents with their sights on you, and you can't pick them off one at a time; in this scenario, I'd much rather whip out an Inkzooka and blast everyone to puddles than shield myself and try to work my aim around everyone shooting me.

Also, Ink Mines aren't the greatest, but really, I don't see the value in Point Sensors at all.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Uh how about there are 6 other people playing the same game? Their guns, their subs, the map, the area of the map everyone is occupying? Do those suffice for you?

And I only mentioned 1v1s as an example, and how exactly are you going to pick someone off if they're not in range? You make it sound like the squiffer is this god like gun that just picks people off whenever wherever when it actually can't and that's the point. Just because you do well with it, doesn't mean it's good. It just means you're good.

And I've seen high level squiffers lose fights when they play ok, not great but not terrible.

Hell I've won 1v1's against elite 3k's with a tentatek, does that make the tentatek amazing against eliter's? Hell no, just because you see someone do something awesome doesn't mean it's the gun that did it, it's the person that holds it not the gun.
So the Squiffer iss bad because other people play the game? Nice reason bud.

When I say my experience, I mean me using the Squiffers many many times. The Squiffer tends to win the matchup.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

What I'd rather debate is that the New Squiffer is actually better than the Classic. I don't think the Bubbler works all that well with a charger, seeing as if you have need to shield yourself, you're probably getting shot at, and if you're getting shot at, you're going to be bounced around seemingly randomly and this can mess with your aim. If you're a charger and you need to shield yourself, odds are it's because you've got multiple opponents with their sights on you, and you can't pick them off one at a time; in this scenario, I'd much rather whip out an Inkzooka and blast everyone to puddles than shield myself and try to work my aim around everyone shooting me.

Also, Ink Mines aren't the greatest, but really, I don't see the value in Point Sensors at all.
I personally prefer the classic. Point snesors work really nice with it. The new is just about as good though, given it has what is undoubtedly the best special.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I personally prefer the classic. Point snesors work really nice with it. The new is just about as good though, given it has what is undoubtedly the best special.
Eh, suit yourself.

Wait a minute, what am I doing? This is a competitive forum!

1v1 me IRL, bro! I'll own your moldy-oldy Classic Squiffer any day of the week!

New Squiffer 4 lyfe!!!

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis

No they don't, because they all apply to every weapon in the game and not specifically the Squiffer, making them irrelevant when we are talking only about the Squiffer.

Anyways, when you get to the point where the person you are arguing with says the weapon is bad because it can't kill people not in it's range, you know it's time to give up. I won't be replying to you anymore because you aren't willing to argue logically, there is no hope for this argument.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
It may have been stated and this may be my own personal opinion, but I think the Dual Squelcher is a very underrated weapon, especially in A+ territory. Think about it, it's a very supportive gun. You hover around your allies and use your very good range and ink efficiency to scare or pressure opponents. You can drop in bombs anywhere you please to scare and pressure opponents. Finally, the echolocator gives your team the knowledge to rip apart the opposing team. You really don't have to kill anybody at all.

Inkredibly underrated imo.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Eh, suit yourself.

Wait a minute, what am I doing? This is a competitive forum!

1v1 me IRL, bro! I'll own your moldy-oldy Classic Squiffer any day of the week!

New Squiffer 4 lyfe!!!
Bro *** @ me 1v1 I'll noscop u

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Bro *** @ me 1v1 I'll noscop u
Yo, I'm not a bro, bro. You're gonna get your butt whooped by a girl.

And after I'm done hanging you out to dry, I'll take on your whole family and other assorted loved ones, and every time people mention the name [Citrus' surname] they'll do so in mocking derision! Your descendants are gonna be so ashamed to bear your family name they won't even be born. Your own [beloved pet] will disown you in disgrace. Also, your hair will fall out, you'll develop a beer gut, and you'll start wearing too much cologne.

And after that I'll, like, I dunno... eat a taco or something. I'm hungry.

Also, dude, what? We're using Squiffers, they don't even have scopes; every shot with a Squiffer is a no-scope.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
No they don't, because they all apply to every weapon in the game and not specifically the Squiffer, making them irrelevant when we are talking only about the Squiffer.
I know those variables apply to every gun in the game but when you put those exact variables against the squiffer, it is found to be wanting more than any other gun in the game.

Anyways, when you get to the point where the person you are arguing with says the weapon is bad because it can't kill people not in it's range, you know it's time to give up. I won't be replying to you anymore because you aren't willing to argue logically, there is no hope for this argument.
I have no idea where you're getting the idea I'm saying that the squiffer is bad because it can't kill people outside it's range since I have not argued that once at all but if you're just gonna stop, then fine, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
So the Squiffer is bad because other people play the game? Nice reason bud.

When I say my experience, I mean me using the Squiffers many many times. The Squiffer tends to win the matchup.
Well it's better than "I do really well when using the squiffer so it has to be good."

I've seen a lot people use the squiffer and do absolutely terrible with it so your argument is moot.

Let me put it so people can understand where I'm coming from because clearly I'm confusing people, If you took the score of every player that played the squiffer in ranked and got an average that was much lower than the average of guns with similar range or capabilities then that would mean that either; A. The gun is not very good, B. A lot of people play with that gun, or C. A lot of people just aren't good with the squiffer.

It could be any of those things or even all of those things

Last edited:

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
It may have been stated and this may be my own personal opinion, but I think the Dual Squelcher is a very underrated weapon, especially in A+ territory. Think about it, it's a very supportive gun. You hover around your allies and use your very good range and ink efficiency to scare or pressure opponents. You can drop in bombs anywhere you please to scare and pressure opponents. Finally, the echolocator gives your team the knowledge to rip apart the opposing team. You really don't have to kill anybody at all.

Inkredibly underrated imo.
I agree that it's a great weapon, however, it's not necessarily underrated xD I see quite a few dual squelchers in both ranked and regular. Most people use it to support, and they know not to rush.

I feel like we need to discuss the most underrated weapon of ALL TIME: the L-3 Nozzlenose. I have never once seen a player use this weapon. Im just curious; has anyone actually managed to be decent with this gun? Disruptor slows people down enough to Wail them, I guess. But like I said, I've never seen it in action. Someone confirm that this is indeed top tier:3

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
The problem with the L-3 is that you have to button mash constantly. Most players don't want to play this weapon just for this reason, as long as there are numerous other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom