When is squid partying ok?

How do you feel about Squid Parties?

• I love them in all modes.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I loathe them in ranked, but I don't mind them in turf wars.

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • I loathe them in turf wars, but I don't mind them in ranked.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I loathe them in all modes.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • It depends on the partiers for whither I like it or not.

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • I am neutral about them / I don't have an opinion.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Only in private matches, please.

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This was intentional on my part, this kinda needed to go off topic :P

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
It Depends on the degree of victory or defeat. Squid partying can be seen as a Victory horn or a white flag when you are utterly side walled.

Edit: Spellcheck you have betrayed your master; Now go in a corner and think about what you've done. Dwell on what could've been done differently.

Last edited:

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I know i'm late to the party but like most people, I enjoy them a lot in Turf but I would never do it in Ranked. And for the squids like @Airi who squid party in Ranked until the last minute. In my opinion if that happened to me I'd be laughing too hard to be mad. Not that I've ever seen a Ranked squid party (besides Private Battles but that's a different story). But if we're going to try to be serious this might help. You see, I have a rule for Turf War. Ok, it's not really a rule but you know what I mean. And this is what it is: No squid party, No mercy. That's it, if I don't see one I'll play in Turf War and i'm one of those players who can be really good. (Sort of off topic but kinda goes with my last sentence: My apologies to anyone who's chased me down in their base on Moray Towers, that's just my strategy, i'm not trying to troll) If I do see a squid party I'll join, even if it's just for a round or two I find it just as much fun as playing Turf Wars. In fact, squid parties have made my day before. And I can see why some people don't like it but as it was said before, the easiest solution is to just join another lobby. If you're going to attack a squid party, you're probably only going to hurt yourself. I remember the first time I saw a squid party I didn't know what it was so I was that person who trying to be serious simply because I didn't know there were squid parties. And I only made it worse for myself. I understand if you don't want to leave but at the same time, chances are, the squid partiers aren't on their friend lists so they can't just leave the lobby and immediately find each other again. Sure they could take a minute or two to add each other then but it's not always the case.

G

girigiriHERO

I know i'm late to the party but like most people, I enjoy them a lot in Turf but I would never do it in Ranked. And for the squids like @Airi who squid party in Ranked until the last minute. In my opinion if that happened to me I'd be laughing too hard to be mad. Not that I've ever seen a Ranked squid party (besides Private Battles but that's a different story). But if we're going to try to be serious this might help. You see, I have a rule for Turf War. Ok, it's not really a rule but you know what I mean. And this is what it is: No squid party, No mercy. That's it, if I don't see one I'll play in Turf War and i'm one of those players who can be really good. (Sort of off topic but kinda goes with my last sentence: My apologies to anyone who's chased me down in their base on Moray Towers, that's just my strategy, i'm not trying to troll) If I do see a squid party I'll join, even if it's just for a round or two I find it just as much fun as playing Turf Wars. In fact, squid parties have made my day before. And I can see why some people don't like it but as it was said before, the easiest solution is to just join another lobby. If you're going to attack a squid party, you're probably only going to hurt yourself. I remember the first time I saw a squid party I didn't know what it was so I was that person who trying to be serious simply because I didn't know there were squid parties. And I only made it worse for myself. I understand if you don't want to leave but at the same time, chances are, the squid partiers aren't on their friend lists so they can't just leave the lobby and immediately find each other again. Sure they could take a minute or two to add each other then but it's not always the case.
Your reply is well thought out except for the one thing every partier says. "If you don't like it, join another lobby."

YOU'RE the one not playing the game, therefore you're forcing other players the inconvenience of trying to find people who want to play? No, the onus is on you to go out of your way and find people willing to play in private. Squid Partiers inconvenience everyone who wants to play (a good 99%) and their just don't give a **** about anyone else, showing how selfish they really are.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Your reply is well thought out except for the one thing every partier says. "If you don't like it, join another lobby."

YOU'RE the one not playing the game, therefore you're forcing other players the inconvenience of trying to find people who want to play? No, the onus is on you to go out of your way and find people willing to play in private. Squid Partiers inconvenience everyone who wants to play (a good 99%) and their just don't give a **** about anyone else, showing how selfish they really are.
I feel inclined to agree. The person who actually wants to play the mode the way it's designed shouldn't have to go soul searching just to play the game. Again, messing around isn't inherently bad, but a player's influence on another is far more strict than in other games like, say, Smash for Wii U's online mode; it's fine if everyone chooses to mess around, but if there's even 1 or 2 people just trying to play the game, it's already a mess, and it's not their fault.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Here's my logic:

You're playing Splatoon. Most likely you either bought it or asked for it. This suggests that you would be having fun if you were playing it the way it was intended. So you have two choices:
  1. Play the game properly and allow everyone, yourself included, to have fun.
  2. Screw around, and maybe have a little bit more fun yourself but take away the fun of up to seven other players. The odds of all seven enjoying the idea of a squid party are minuscule, so almost certainly at least one person has to suffer for your choice.
I've personally never seen a squid party of more than 3 players. That means the other 5 aren't going to have a fun match. The only way it would be OK is if there were exactly the same number of partiers on both sides, and I've never seen that happen, or if one person parties because someone on the other team disconnected.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288

Woah calm down, I never said you were forced to leave. All I said was that leaving the lobby was the easiest solution, and if not fact it's just my opinion.

G

girigiriHERO

Woah calm down, I never said you were forced to leave. All I said was that leaving the lobby was the easiest solution, and if not fact it's just my opinion.
I disagree, the easiest solution is for the partiers to find like minded individuals and do it in private. I believe the 2 people above me posted what I was trying to convey in a less hostile manner, sorry about that.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I disagree, the easiest solution is for the partiers to find like minded individuals and do it in private. I believe the 2 people above me posted what I was trying to convey in a less hostile manner, sorry about that.
It's ok

AriasFantasy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ariasfantasy
If you're ranking down an alt in a tri/quad squad, I don't see why not. But if others are trying to win a regular match of solo/doubles ranked you're gonna look like a jerk

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
And for the squids like @Airi who squid party in Ranked until the last minute. In my opinion if that happened to me I'd be laughing too hard to be mad.
That's always the intention. :) We all know how stressful S/S+ quads can be so sometimes, it's just nice to relax a little and attempt to make people laugh. Of course, some people are just too serious and can't laugh. x) People will respond differently. We've gotten more amused friend requests than nasty ones so I'd say we're mostly successful at amusing people... Especially when we fail at winning. xD

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
However in Ranked every second can count so I don't think it's acceptable AT ALL
Not sure if this constitutes a full-blown squid party, but it hasn't been brought up in the thread yet amidst the back-and-forth TW ethics debate:
There are moments in S and arguably more in S+ where every second does not count. You wipe out the team with a secured zone counting down from 15? There's nothing else to do BUT party. It's kind of a ******* thing to do, for sure, but I think it's great fun to get a little party in with your teammates at the end of a match that your opponents have 0% chance of winning.

Also, on the point of finding people to party with in a private match: not condoning squid partying one way or another, but the mentality of most squid partiers is a lot like flash mobbing in public. It's supposed to catch people off guard; its exhibitionism. The secondary intent is to get as many to join as possible, but the thrill of the squid party comes from reactions of onlookers- whether negative or positive. In a private match, its literally hosting a dance party in your bedroom. It can be fun but the surprise value is lost in the eyes of the partier.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
This thread has completely change how I handle squid partying. At first, I thought it was okay to do only in Turf War, but does kinda ruin fun for other players and that's not fair for other people just trying to play the game. It's kinda the same as squid bagging or disconnecting, which no one likes. I'm definitely going to be more respectful to other players now! :D

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That's always the intention. :) We all know how stressful S/S+ quads can be so sometimes, it's just nice to relax a little and attempt to make people laugh. Of course, some people are just too serious and can't laugh. x) People will respond differently. We've gotten more amused friend requests than nasty ones so I'd say we're mostly successful at amusing people... Especially when we fail at winning. xD
I'm still a little boggled that this is okay in your book but you go on and on about proper behavior, like in the disrespect thread. Where's the line?

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Edit: Nevermind. I'm done with this and I'll continue ignoring the quotes. Right now, what I will say is that it is just a joke. The squid parties in Ranked are meant to be a joke to amuse people. Normally, it works and people find it fairly amusing. A lot don't expect it and the sheer surprise of it is what amuses them. When we lose or when we're all dressed the same also tends to amuse them pretty well too. It's an attempt to help people relax from normally stressful Ranked battles.

I know some people play this game totally and completely serious at all times. And that's fine. It's your choice. We all have different play styles. I am truly sorry if anything I said has offended anyone. It was never the intention and I'm sad it was taken that way. Will I stop? Probably not. I enjoy making people laugh. We will run into players who can't take a joke but that doesn't mean we have to stop helping others smile. The majority we play with find us amusing so we'll probably continue. It's like when we use four Bamboozlers or four Splattershot Jrs. We're trying to give people a break and amuse them. Just something fun and a change from the typical bloodbath that S/S+ matches typically are. I'm guessing some people think that sort of thing is bad too because its not total seriousness. And that's fine. Different play styles. There are many who enjoy playing this game for fun and sometimes, it can be fun to run into these ridiculous teams/tactics just to have a break from the typical, you know?

I'm sorry if that's offended anyone. Truly I am. I won't be responding anymore to posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom