• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why Did You Choose That Username?

Rustic

Inkling Commander
In reality, its Rusticboots on various sites and networks. I swapped from various names, but eventually just got stuck to Rustic.
I liked the word rustic, so I kept to it and became Rustic. However, I do not know where the name originated.

Time to soul search!

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I put the reason I chose Anaru earlier, but my NNID (lavalizard24) is what I used for my first online account (for Runescape) when I was about 8. I used that as my username for pretty much everything until 2 years ago, when I came up with the name Anaru.

AbsentPlayer

Full Squid
NNID
absentplayer
for my NNID i wanted a name that sounded cool or something and i thought the name "absence" or "absent" would be an amazing name but they were taken so i chose absentplayer instead.

Templar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TemplarAnimated
Templar is both from the Dark Templar in Starcraft and the actually Templars, they are both warriors. Sounded cool, so I went with it. :)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm a Metroid fan. I've played every single game in the series except for That Which Shall Not Be Named. The original Metroid was actually the first game I ever played. Dessgeega is one of the more badass enemies, and it has a nice ring to it so I started using it.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
My name actually comes from a Pikmin. One day, me and my sister named red and white Pikmin Terabyte and Puffy respectively. After that, the name Terabyte grew on me so I started using it as a username. If I try to sign up for something and Terabyte is taken, I use the name RedTerabyte as a homage to my li'l red Pikmin.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I was initially thinking "obligatory spongebob refrence", but I messed up and now I think it looks like the name for some Squidward x Squilliam slash fic and I'm too lazy to change it.

Kahlium

Inkling
It was a misunderstanding on my part when I was 5... I think
I have no idea what the original word was, yet I still remember this, I understood the word as "Kahlium" and the name just stuck to my head
Ten years later, I wanted to use an original name with no numbers, and I remembered that word I misunderstood so many years ago. Why not use that?
(Later I found out it was Potassium in Latin... without the H)

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
Just initals of my first and last name. I'd use my middle name, but I don't think L would work. It probably would have been used as "El" or something. It's also a name of an OC that's based off of what I like (Tea) and Semi-like (Bees).

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
It was the user name chosen for me from computer programming, it is my last name and the first 3 letters of my first name. It is extremely lame. But I have definately grown to like it after the last couple of years.
Reminds me of Isaac Newton, I like it. :D

colormute

Inkling
NNID
neverosa
my right eye is a bit dull and doesn't see color as well, which is a recent development. this is also a recent name! but it also came from a musical artist in a way

that eye has always been far, far worse than my other, ever since I injured it as a kid, tho I fully admit I'm not sure if that actually caused its current condition. I guess that's really all there is to it!

TeaBee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BuzzyTeaBee
my right eye is a bit dull and doesn't see color as well, which is a recent development. this is also a recent name! but it also came from a musical artist in a way

that eye has always been far, far worse than my other, ever since I injured it as a kid, tho I fully admit I'm not sure if that actually caused its current condition. I guess that's really all there is to it!
I'm curious. How did you injure your eye?

colormute

Inkling
NNID
neverosa
I'm curious. How did you injure your eye?
oh I just ran into a branch as a kid and cut it lol. it was so long ago, I honestly have no idea if it contributed to how awful this eye is now or if it was just a coincidence!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm often surprised when people tell me they didn't realise that Cuttleshock is just a Spoonerism of the feathered piece of sporting equipment... it's not much more than that. Badminton isn't particularly important to me; it's definitely one of my favourite sports, but that's relatively speaking. I've never watched a badminton game in my life, that I can remember, and only play it at most every couple of months with my sister.

Of course, aside from 'shuttle****', the obvious components of this name are 'cuttle[fish]' and '[electric] shock'. I was aware of that but it was never of much significance. It wasn't until much later that I realised just how awesome cuttlefish are and decided to claim them as one of my favourite animals.

I spent a good few weeks, at least, working my way through different funny and memorable potential usernames before settling on this as my universal internet handle four years ago; rejected ideas, equally meaningless other than sounding fairly nice, include 'Elephone' and 'SpargelSparkle' (from German for 'asparagus'). I've unfortunately lost the original document... it was full of some lovely ideas.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Cake or Death is an old joke from the comedian Eddie Izzard.

A while ago I was creating my account on PS4 and had to come up with something quick as I wanted to leave all my past (and frankly quite terrible!) usernames behind. At the time my friends and I had randomly started constantly quoting Eddie Izzard's 'cake or death'. I dunno, I guess you had to be there..

The cake or death in-joke died pretty much days after I started using it as my username, but the name has just stuck. I think it's going to be my username for life now.

I have previously stated that I wanted to leave all my old terrible usernames behind but in the process I've done nothing but create another terrible one.

People always ask me about it. They ask whether or not it's a Portal reference. Well you now know the truth.

Here's the video (if I can get it to work properly). Be warbed, my friends and I have a terrible sense of humour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom