Zapfish Academy [IC Thread: What's in a Club?]

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Parzival looked down at Kei and saw she was holding up a poster for a club. He couldn't really tell what it was. Art club? It wasn't on the list. Parzival knew a little Jellyfish and told her he didn't know what it was.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
305. 305. 305. Kbot continued to drill that number into his head. He really enjoyed listening to music. Hopefully I don't have to talk that much, just listen.

He thought about the room number. Waitaminute, there's a THIRD level in this building? Hm. Interesting layout. Hopefully I'll get to know this building better as I move on.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron slumped a bit. Her two truths and a lie options were fairly thin, and all she could think of at the time was 'I have two names' or 'I never knew my mother'. The first one seemed like the safer option.

Anyways, when the announcer mentioned Book club, she perked up. She's read a fair amount of interesting books, and getting the opportunity to read more is great!

So, she grabbed her stuff, exited communications and tried to find room 301.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Kei sighed, looking at the poster.
Maybe it's just some Battle Team..? Maybe I should join something else...
Kei decided to search the list..
Maybe I should join.. Music!
She was barely able to translate the room number... 305

She began to hull her heavy bag up the stairs, her leg screaming with pain each time it touched the ground.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Jennie sauntered into room 103, announcing her arrival in the doorway, extravagantly. "Hello, hello! Game club, who's here?"

She snidely commented under her breath, "What is this club even about?"

Slinging her bag to the floor, she nonchalantly found a desk to sit on top of, already slipping her deck of cards out of her pocket and shuffling them. Might as well be in spirit of the club to start out.

lonelyrollingsquid

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Selfcat
There was a lot of interesting clubs to choose from, but the choice hadn't been too difficult for Krys. She had considered the games and fashion clubs for a while, but eventually settled on sports. She knew that school would cut into her sport schedule anyway, and that time in the club could make up for it. To room 101 it was.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Kei finally arrived at the room, she creaked the door open. Music blasted out of the door, different sounds charged through her ears. She stepped in, there was a variety of instruments. Kei didn't have a wide knowledge of instruments.. Not very wide at all. But one high-pitched sound caught her ear.

It was majestic, graceful, divine, every synonym for majestic. She turned to the sound. The instrument was small and dark brown with four strings going down it. A large stick with tan-white hair on it stroked across the strings. It was a violin, but Kei didn't know that. She skipped to the player, bursting with excitement and asked if they could to play the violin.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
Ranae casually strolled into room 103, throwing her bag under her table and sitting down.

"Now, where's my D&D?"

Topazrekerboy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
janspinoy
Rhin walked straight in. "Yo yo yo what up people's this club better be worth my time!" Rhin said, texting on his Squidphone (the newest generation! :p )

Hesoca

Full Squid
With a groan, Barrett stretched out of his seat, kicking his backpack in the process. Ugh, finally. Class was over. Could’ve been worse, could’ve been better. People were interesting enough to keep him awake for most of the period. Not that it really mattered in the long run; he was on his last strike with this class, so slacking off was (unfortunately) out of the question.

Yawning, he slugged his backpack over his shoulder and sauntered out towards the buses. Paying attention in Communications now was seriously going to ruin his sleep schedule. At least now he could head back home and take a long na-

“Good afternoon, students and faculty.” An announcement blared over the loudspeaker, causing Barrett to stop in his tracks. He listened closely for a moment or so, then cursed when the word “required” passed through the speaker. (Naturally, he’d been late to first period and had slept through the rest of it, so this information was new to him.) Mandatory clubs? Didn’t that defeat the whole purpose of a club to begin with? And why hadn’t anyone been mentioning it in class?!

He slumped to the side of the hallway, listening halfheartedly to the rest of the announcement, and tracking the possible electives as they went by. Sports, music, fashion, games, book, and… drama? Like heck, that was a horrible selection. Not that he had any choice in the matter…

Each club he crossed off a mental list. Drama and fashion were automatic nos. Music wouldn’t work, either; it was the more exciting, sure, but the chances of there being any drums to play that didn’t come from a marching band were slim. And while sports was also something he’d be great at, he already had a squad he played Turf Wars for. Two sport commitments would be one too many. He was already losing precious sleep with Communications, anyway; having to do actual physical work during his usual naptime would cut too deeply into what little school-related energy he had.

That left the book and games clubs. Both were equally cringeworthy, and detrimental to his reputation. Book club was the more interesting of the two – provided that he read something other than the usual classics all his language classes shoved down his throat – but it had one little, troubling problem: required reading. ‘Course, he could always just look up the summaries online, but the effort far outweighed the point of taking the elective.

With a sigh, he snatched an empty form from one of the stands nearby and filled it out on the wall. Games club it was. At least he’d be able to nap between turns. And hey, if by some miracle there were actual video games involved, he might actually have a good time.

Paper completed, he looked around for any poor saps he could pawn the sheet off on before trudging over to the office, threw the form into one of the turn-in bins inside, and headed off to Room 103.

GBstep

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GBstep
Iro wasn't exactly having the best first day of school.

He had stayed up late the previous night watching recordings of the matches during the last Splatfest. He woke up late to a loud thud on the head as he fell off his bed. Skipping breakfast and saying quick goodbyes to his parents, he made a mad dash to Zapfish Academy. Luck wouldn't be on his side however, as he tripped on a loose piece of pavement in his sprint, landing roughly on the asphalt and cracking the new casing of his Squidphone.

As he finally reached the school's main entrance, the bell sounded signalling the end of the first period. Iro sighed in frustration.

"Classes have just started and I already want this year to be over with", he mumbled to himself as he made his way to his second class.

Iro's first day misfortunes didn't end there however. Upon getting seated for Mathematics, Iro opened his bag and realized he had forgotten to pack his notebook and his pencil case during his rush earlier that morning. He had to resort to borrowing paper and pens from his seatmates throughout the day, which was only made harder by his timidness to talk to unfamiliar faces. A big part of him also didn't like relying on others too much, as he thought it as a sign of personal incompetence.

As lunch period came, Iro lazily walked to the cafeteria. He didn't have much of an appetite given what happened so far that day. He thought he'd just get a sandwich or two before heading off to Communications. What he didn't want to get was a tray full of curry spilling all over his uniform when he accidentally bumped into a fellow student who was looking for a seat.

It took him the rest of lunch and most of his last period to get cleaned up. Luckily he had an extra shirt in his bag, something he thought he'd start doing in case things got too messy during Turf Wars. After getting changed, he left his soaked school shirt and blazer with the cafeteria lady to have them dry.

As he walked towards his classroom, he saw a woman fall clumsily by the room's doorway. Hearing the muffled snickers from the other students, he assumed that the woman was the teacher in charge.

Iro sighed and helped the woman get up. After sharing brief introductions with the teacher Ms. Caligo, Iro apologized for missing class and explained what had happened. Since it was first day and having heard good stories about Iro from the other faculty members, Ms. Caligo accepted his excuse and let him off the hook.

As the bell rang for dismissal, the voice of Head Counselor Mr.Humboldt echoed through the school's PA system, reminding everyone that they had to hand in the club application forms given to them this morning. It was a requirement for students to join a club in order to pass this school year. Iro flinched, realizing he had missed first period so he didn't have a club application form.

Luckily (for once this day) Ms. Caligo had some extra forms. Thanking the teacher before walking off, Iro browsed through the list of clubs.

"A club huh? Hmm now which one to pick...." Iro thought to himself.

He carefully looked through the choices. He thought about joining music since he did have some background in guitar and the games club might be fun, although he wasn't quite sure what they meant by "games". Fashion and drama were an automatic no, since one, he didn't really have an interest in clothes, and two, it would go against his very being to stand on stage and perform to a large group of people who were total strangers. He never really got into books, unless they were textbooks he needed to study for an upcoming exam.

Then there was sports. Iro thought about it. Ever since he started getting into Turf Wars, he had noted his lack of stamina. This proved to be quite a handicap especially during the last minute rush. Joining a sports club would be a good way to train his body and solve this glaring weakness.

Deciding then and there, Iro filled up his application form and went off to room 101.

Last edited:

TACarbuncle

Inkling Commander
NNID
TACarbuncle
Small breathing could be heard at a seat as a small, purple inkling slept before class started, her favorite hat covering her face so others wouldn't interrupt her. Having spent most of the night with last minute prepares, she got very little sleep and was quite exhausted throughout the walk to school. She was jolted awake, however, with a small yelp when the teacher suddenly fell in. Slightly embarrassed, Viola quickly hid her hat in her bag and wiped her face, glancing around, hoping no one noticed.

Her attention quickly shifted to the counselor, letting out a gulp as he mentioned the clubs. "We HAVE to join one?" She thought to herself, as her anxieties started to bubble forth. As she looked at the list of the clubs, she began to think how each would go.

"Sports may be fun, but then, I'd have people relying on me....What if I mess up?"

" I do like music, but I don't know how to play any instrument. All I can do is sing..."

"Fashion might be nice. I would be able to make nice clothes of my own....But....all those needles..." Her clumsiness quickly popped into her head and she shuddered.

"I wonder what kind of games they mean....Would they be competitive?"

"I don't exactly read all that much....Might be a nice change of pace...."

"Acting could also be pretty fun, but what if I mess up?"

These thoughts cycled throughout her mind until she had enough! She closed her eyes and cycled through her options with her finger until she landed on one. Opening her eyes slowly, she noticed she landed on the last one. "All right! I'll give drama club a chance!" She nodded and filled out the application, quickly making her way to the auditorium to join, hoping she wasn't too late.

Robikku Squid

Just a squid havin' some fun! :3
NNID
RobikkuScratch
Vinyls moments of spacing out prior in the morning had mostly been down to a rather impromptu instance of tiredness, brought on by a rather lengthy night before...although more of the 'far too long being awake' nature than anything that might influence a young squid otherwise. She'd allowed herself, mistakenly, to close her eyes for longer than a moment and wound up sleeping through the class...she had woken up and partaken in silence, preferring to not draw attention to her rather unfortunate errors as much as possible.

Still, now she was out of class and this was, apparently, time to choose a club that would be the closest thing to a social circle she would likely have this early on - and considering the choices that she'd looked into, it appeared the most obviously likely choice was music...there really was not a whole lot of inner debate on that one, it was a no brainer.

So, with her decision made, forms filled out and her course set, she starts her path towards the place that would probably be a little home away from home...she couldn't really be sure what kind of company she'd be likely to find in a music class held here, but she had to assume that there were a few who at least would prove to be interesting conversation - at least, that was pretty much the hope Vinyl was holding onto since she really didn't enjoy the idea of maybe potentially having to deal with a bunch of deadbrained inklings banging sticks together!

Finding the room with relative ease, she opens it up and pokes her head inside...Ah well, onwards and upwards...it was time to see what fate had in store for her!
" Heeey, whats goin' on up in this place? " she announces as she steps into the room with a casual stride. " Looks like I'm just in time t'shake it up! "

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Parzival headed into the room. He spotted a drumset over in the corner. "Sweet!" he said, probably a little too loudly. He went to sit on the stool. He didn't know many songs, other that 'Splattack!' by the Squid Squad. He looked around and saw Kei, but no one else. 'Really? I thought more people would be interested!' thought Parzival. Parzival began to play the intro on the set while waiting for the teacher.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Kbot walked into room 305 and saw a few familiar faces. Okay, wow. Playing. Nobody told me that. Oh well, I'm decent at Trumpet. I think. Kbot went to for sit down by a trumpet, and then glanced up to recognize Kei and Parzival.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Kei began to gently pluck the stings. She felt as rest at each gentle strum, as if an angel possessed the violin and was singing from the bottom off her heart.
She picked up the giant stick, slightly surprised at the weight and tried to play it.
It seemed like the violin screamed out of tune when she had played it.
...I'll get good at it... I think I will.
She began testing out the other strings, all of them made different sounds. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Games: @Aykorn (Jennie); @Rustic (Terence); @Right Whale (Ranae); @Topazrekerboy (Rhin); @Hesoca (Barrett)

The games club seemed to be a very popular club and had a large room as if the teachers or whatever club president had expected it to be a hit. The tables in the larger classroom had been either pushed to the side, or clustered into groups with signs on it.

It seemed readily apparent that people were expected to group together based on the signs.

"Krakens and Crusades" already had a few inklings around it, most fitting that nerdy archetype, which made sense considering it was the most popular RPing (or as some called it "roll playing") format around, right next to Seafarer.

"Card games" was all that was written for one table, and a female Urchin sat at the table shuffling a deck of cards. She had sharp eyes that seemed intently focused on his cards which made a satisfying swishing sound as she folded the bridge.

"Board Games" was one of the largest tables, with plenty of desks all clustered together to make a long row. On it were most of the more popular board games and even some that didn't really count (like connect four). It had the most people simply because it has the most variety.

Book: @VeryButter (Nyron)

The room was nice and quaint at least. There were armchairs scattered around in a semicircle and in one of them sat an annoyed looking Anemone. In his hair was a clownfish that seemed to be resting.

Oddly enough, in another armchair sat the rude Inkling from before... Tlaloc. He seemed a little peeved as he said, "is this seriously the turnout every year James?"

"Yeah. I put up posters. I pester people all around to get the word out. I even set up a mailing list to see who I could get to join," he sighed, defeated. "I just don't know, there must have been something more I could have done..."

It seemed that he really had gone all the way. Cookies and confections of all kinds lined a small, circular coffee table in a very formal looking tray and each looked delicious in its own right.

The clownfish in his hair, which had appeared to be resting gently said, "don't worry, James. You tried your best. There's always next year..."

The mood seemed pretty mellow. Technically a club could go on with three, but it was hardly optimal.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
Nyron looked around the room, surprised to see it mostly empty. Then again, the "games" club seemed as if it would be a first pick for a lot of students...

Letting out a small sigh, Nyron walked over to one of the armchairs and sat down. She recognized Tlaloc, but the Anemone was a new face. She simply pulled out her book from before and sat it on her lap, waiting patiently for someone to say something.

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
Music: @ThatSquidYouKnow @KTKres @Zythefox @Robikku Squid

A few minutes after everyone was in the room, an older inkling snaked his way in, avoiding everyone's notice. He suddenly announced in a very strong and solid voice, "Welcome to music club, students. First rule, don't play any of the instruments without permission."
Seemingly in a single swift movement, he ripped the sticks out of Parzival's hands and the violin out of Rei's.
"These are very expensive pieces of equipment, and they're easy to break, so I want to make sure that you know how to use it before I let you have free reign."
Now that the students can get a good look at him, they notice that he's a younger man, probably in his late 20's. His tentacles are black and ruffled at the top, looking reminiscent of bed-head. They're also curled quite a bit, giving the impression that his hair is likely longer than even most women's.
"My name, for those of you that don't know me, is Director Bigfin. I have been directing the band and orchestras here for five years now. I graduated from college six years ago. Any questions?" He gives no time for anyone to respond. "Good. Moving on. I'd like to know what instrument, voice included, you're most proficient with. I myself primarily play the violin. This one, to be exact." He motions to the one in his hand, giving a quick look to Rei.
He develops a snake-like smile across his face and points to Vinyl. "You. What is your name and what do you play?"

Sports: @lonelyrollingsquid @GBstep
As the students enter the classroom, they see an older inkling sitting behind the teacher desk, along with another student sitting at a desk. The teacher has white tentacles combed back, with red glowing spots decorating them. His eyes are also red.There a few ink-weapons on his desk. There are a few simple splattershots, a charger, and a roller leaning against the desk. None of them have any ink in them.
"Ah, you must be the rest of them. Kind of a disappointing turnout. Aah well," the teacher speaks up with a gruff, groveling voice, "I'm Coach Fire. This is sports club. Go ahead and have a seat next to Ash," he points to the other student.
"If you were expecting ball sports like football or baseball, sorry, but you're out of luck. I've decided this year that we would focus on ink sports- specifically turf wars. You all know what they are. What I'd like to know is if you have a preferred role or weapon. Ash, you go ahead and start."

The young inkling has a certain charm about her appearance. Her tentacles are blue and their braided along the length of her back. "Well, my name is Ash. I'm a junior. I've been doing turf wars for a little bit now, and I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with blasters." She looks to Krys and says with a smile, "What about you?

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Sitting criss-cross on one of the desks that had been pushed aside, Jennie overhand-shuffled her cards without needing to look down at them. She was just that good.

Or she did this regularly. Jennie liked to keep her hands moving. Better meticulous shuffling and not fidgeting.

Instead, she took in the sight of the room and how it was grouped up. Didn't look like there was a teacher around; no one telling her to take her shoes of the desk at least. She liked where she was perched now, so that was a good thing.

RPing, huh? Yeesh. that actually sounded fun, but the people sitting around the table looked like complete nerds. And it had been a long day. Jennie wasn't feeling the lukewarm, awkward interactions right now, but she might give herself a moment before trying to worm her way into the game.

Or... who was that? At a table for card games specifically no less? Jennie gave a pleased smirk. She tucked her own deck of cards into her pocket as she slinked over, slipping down from the desk and pulling a chair up to the card game table.

Whoever this was, they were already somewhat cool, choosing card games right off the bat.

"So..." Yes, you, Ms. Urchin, Jennie thought. "Care for a card game?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom