• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are rollers less used these days?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Ohh, that's interesting! It makes sense. Do they use the western "w" character, or the kana that looks kind of "w-ish"?

Also interesting. All this time I've assumed all these players were just Japanophiles and was amazed at just how much of the Ninendo fanbase just loooves everything Japanese enough to have Japanese sounding handles. It's a revelation that a lot of these are really just Japanese players using only Phonetic alphabet characters in their handles. So strike any comments in other threads where I say I see some Western players. Apparently it's about half as many as I thought.

My favorite Japanese player name I've seen so far was all kana, except with "mario" in phonetic at the end. :D
The w's are western, not any kana or kanji characters. Japanese keyboards can switch to western lettering quickly and easily, so Japanese people, when online, can rapidly switch between Japanese character sets and Romaji (western lettering).

Since English is mandatory in schools from the 1st grade, most Japanese people know how to at least spell their own name in English. Between them finding a lot of opponents from other countries and how most social media sites allow only the English alphabet, a lot of Japanese gamers are used to spelling out their names in English in online gaming in general, even when kana or kanji are available.

Dynamos can be difficult to use. But once there`s a good dynamo every player will just stay away from them xD I`m starting to like the carbon and soon I`ll have 100000 inked with it. That will be my 4th roller with over 100000 (yes I`m obsessed with rollers..)
I'm a bit different in that regard: If there is a player no one's going after, I'll tend to go after them because that player will undoubtedly wreak havoc if left unchecked, especially if it's a weapon like the Dynamo Rollers which can ink a lot. Sometimes, I can get rid of them or hold their attention for long enough to neutralize them. Sometimes, I discover I'm no match for them and get splatted over and over. But it's always worth trying.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
The w's are western, not any kana or kanji characters. Japanese keyboards can switch to western lettering quickly and easily, so Japanese people, when online, can rapidly switch between Japanese character sets and Romaji (western lettering).

Since English is mandatory in schools from the 1st grade, most Japanese people know how to at least spell their own name in English. Between them finding a lot of opponents from other countries and how most social media sites allow only the English alphabet, a lot of Japanese gamers are used to spelling out their names in English in online gaming in general, even when kana or kanji are available.
Interesting that they switch quickly between character sets.... The learning curve is brutal I'm sure. I have no idea how such complex languages with multiple alphabets, some of them exceedingly complex can actually function for everyone.

It always amazes me in screens of Japanese Splatoon copies where words like "win" are written in English.

I'm a bit different in that regard: If there is a player no one's going after, I'll tend to go after them because that player will undoubtedly wreak havoc if left unchecked, especially if it's a weapon like the Dynamo Rollers which can ink a lot. Sometimes, I can get rid of them or hold their attention for long enough to neutralize them. Sometimes, I discover I'm no match for them and get splatted over and over. But it's always worth trying.
For you: Dynamo = ink. For everyone else Dynamo = 45 degree wall of death. :pI wish I had some inkers in Zones... I get the teams that don't paint the zone. Even if I get a triple, even a quad kill they STILL don't take back the zone :rolleyes:

Award

@Miirisa So during splatfest, for kicks I decided to try Splat Roller...probably for the first time in months after only trying it a few hours and deciding I like carbon more. I played it for a while, and realized I'm actually pretty good with it, and like it a lot....in some ways I might like it even more than carbon. Carbon's great, but it's short range flick can limit it's usefulness in some situations...especially ranked modes where there's often not enough clear territory to lurk. I also figured suction bombs would be pretty handy there. I might actually make it a main. Not sure if it replaces carbon for me or not, but it just might! The suction/wail kit is pretty great.

It's all due to @Hawk Seow s videos in inking method....that's what made it click as useful to me, I never thought of using it like a dynamo (I still have to use dynamo.) I also discovered that NO roller except Dynamo is a great turfing weapon. You just won't compete with aerosprays with a roller.

Though I took it into Zones and did awful....I certainly wasn't the highest k/d on the team, I inked a lit, but we were still losing and I was dying a lot....but then I was dying a lot with every weapon. Once again the matchmaker felt the need to match horribly mismatched teams together and the other side was always vastly dominant to the point of spawncamping, so it wasn't a good test of splat roller in ranked.

I did notice though a number of hero & krakon rollers in rnaked today. And noticed tons of rollers in splatfest yesterday, specially when I was using the roller. That was a great test to answer your original question since there were no Japanese players only NA players yeterday, and TW only - yes, lots of rollers...I had several teams of 3 rollers, often with at least one on the other team.

And to answer @Hawk Seow s othere question, I saw ALMOST entirely carbon/deco/krakon, not much in the way of Splat in Splatfest, but there were a few hero splat rollers. Ranked I see rairly frequent hero ,and less krak on. Carbon/deco everywhere.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
@Miirisa So during splatfest, for kicks I decided to try Splat Roller...probably for the first time in months after only trying it a few hours and deciding I like carbon more. I played it for a while, and realized I'm actually pretty good with it, and like it a lot....in some ways I might like it even more than carbon. Carbon's great, but it's short range flick can limit it's usefulness in some situations...especially ranked modes where there's often not enough clear territory to lurk. I also figured suction bombs would be pretty handy there. I might actually make it a main. Not sure if it replaces carbon for me or not, but it just might! The suction/wail kit is pretty great.

It's all due to @Hawk Seow s videos in inking method....that's what made it click as useful to me, I never thought of using it like a dynamo (I still have to use dynamo.) I also discovered that NO roller except Dynamo is a great turfing weapon. You just won't compete with aerosprays with a roller.

Though I took it into Zones and did awful....I certainly wasn't the highest k/d on the team, I inked a lit, but we were still losing and I was dying a lot....but then I was dying a lot with every weapon. Once again the matchmaker felt the need to match horribly mismatched teams together and the other side was always vastly dominant to the point of spawncamping, so it wasn't a good test of splat roller in ranked.

I did notice though a number of hero & krakon rollers in rnaked today. And noticed tons of rollers in splatfest yesterday, specially when I was using the roller. That was a great test to answer your original question since there were no Japanese players only NA players yeterday, and TW only - yes, lots of rollers...I had several teams of 3 rollers, often with at least one on the other team.

And to answer @Hawk Seow s othere question, I saw ALMOST entirely carbon/deco/krakon, not much in the way of Splat in Splatfest, but there were a few hero splat rollers. Ranked I see rairly frequent hero ,and less krak on. Carbon/deco everywhere.
I feel like that most of the rollers that are playing during splatfests are people who are just trying the weapon but leave it later. Carbons are becoming more popular...

Award

I feel like that most of the rollers that are playing during splatfests are people who are just trying the weapon but leave it later. Carbons are becoming more popular...
And since then I finally unlocked and started playing dynamo....and it's amazing! :D Definitely a main. I've added splat roller to mains now too. I'm considering relegating carbon (or carbon deco) to "secondary' status. But possibly considering giving octobrush (technically a roller) a chance to replace it. I don't have high hopes for that though! I love my carbon, but I'm finding issues in ranked modes where, there's seldom enough inked area to really use it effectively. It's greatest strength is lurking in ink and circling around opponents. In most ranked modes there's rarely enough room to do that. There's definitely some amazing high level carbon players. But I'm finding that dynamo is a big main for me, and splat roller, on second look, is actually quite good and offers some advantages for me, namely splat bombs and a little range. And the ever useful wail. I never thought I'd like octobrush but I'm willing to give it a try. Still might not like it.

But dynamo is a huge addition for me now! And of course the matchmaker keeps giving me lobbies with 3 dynamos.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow

My apologies, been getting lazy at replying on message boards recently (I'll reply to your CHydra post, haven't forgotten!) but I'm glad to see you got some use out of that turfing technique I talked about :)

Actually I think the rollers can turf, it's just that you're comparing to one of the top tier turfing weapons in the form of the Aerospray (others include NZap 89, Inkbrush etc.). But yea out of the 6 rollers (ignoring Hero Roller), Dynamo probably does the best at turfing overall.

Also, thanks for your observations regarding the type of rollers you see more, it's candy for my confirmation bias :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
And since then I finally unlocked and started playing dynamo....and it's amazing! :D Definitely a main. I've added splat roller to mains now too. I'm considering relegating carbon (or carbon deco) to "secondary' status. But possibly considering giving octobrush (technically a roller) a chance to replace it. I don't have high hopes for that though! I love my carbon, but I'm finding issues in ranked modes where, there's seldom enough inked area to really use it effectively. It's greatest strength is lurking in ink and circling around opponents. In most ranked modes there's rarely enough room to do that. There's definitely some amazing high level carbon players. But I'm finding that dynamo is a big main for me, and splat roller, on second look, is actually quite good and offers some advantages for me, namely splat bombs and a little range. And the ever useful wail. I never thought I'd like octobrush but I'm willing to give it a try. Still might not like it.

But dynamo is a huge addition for me now! And of course the matchmaker keeps giving me lobbies with 3 dynamos.
Whilst doing some 'research' thanks to some discussion on r/splatoon last month IIRC, I realized rollers have something that brushes don't really have, the ability to fling ink upwards from below. Bear that in mind when you go about using the Octobrush :)

Dynamos are great fun but also make for some of the easiest preys for chargers. Although I'm sure you already knew that :D

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I still see a lot of Splat Rollers. However, I mostly see them used by Japanese players; rarely do I see a Splat Roller user (besides people in the singl-sigit levels) who doesn't have kana in their names or is obviously otherwise Japanese (names like "shinji" or names that end with a bunch of w's or "-matsu," the latter due to the explosion in popularity of Mr. Osomatsu). They tend to play at least decently, getting both a sizable amount of turf inked and a good amount of splats.
So sorry for replying so late :(

Thanks for your observations though! To add on to what you've observed, most of the Splat Rollers being played by non-Japanese are probably newbies or kids trying it out; they really aren't very good at all. That's not to say all Japanese Splat Rollers are amazing either, ultimately it's still rare (roughly 1/10 matches) to see a good one in my experience.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa

Dynamos are the best! I've used the dynamo a lot and in my opinion it's the best roller :D Going behind a wall and flinging ink from there works well against other Dynamos (unless they are standing on a higher platform..)

Last edited:

Award

Whilst doing some 'research' thanks to some discussion on r/splatoon last month IIRC, I realized rollers have something that brushes don't really have, the ability to fling ink upwards from below. Bear that in mind when you go about using the Octobrush :)
Yeah, that's specifically true for dynamo and splat/krakon rollers. Carbons, while they technically can do it, their range is so short it doesn't effectively reach up walls. Splat rollers work like a short range slosher in terms of shooting up ledges with the fling. They have an arc to their shot like a slosher which is why it works, and JUST enough range to get up onto the ledge with a jump flick. Carbon generally just hits the ledge and not over it. But carbon has to operate more like a brush and flank up the wall.

BUT, I picked up octobrush nouveau for RM and it's actually pretty amazing! I was doing quite well with it. Well enough that I might give up the carbon roller in favor of it.

Dynamos are great fun but also make for some of the easiest preys for chargers. Although I'm sure you already knew that :D
Oh yeah! I was having a conversation in another thread with a someone who mains dynamo and is salty against eliters.... I pointed out most of the salt comes from the fact that the dynamo, along with hydra, is THE single easiest target for a charger :) Of course a charger is just about the only thing that can safely deal with dynamos...

Dynamos are the best! I've used the dynamo a lot and in my opinion it's the best roller :D Going behind a wall and flinging ink from there works well against other Dynamos (unless they are standing on a higher platform..)
Yep! Dynamo v Dynamo can be a tricky battle. I was getting a lot of battles with 2-3 dynamos on the other team, and it's kind of fun, like a sniper war, trying to outmaneuver each other's flings and get the hit in! I ended up with a lot of trades there, but was starting to get the hang of it :)

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Yeah, that's specifically true for dynamo and splat/krakon rollers. Carbons, while they technically can do it, their range is so short it doesn't effectively reach up walls. Splat rollers work like a short range slosher in terms of shooting up ledges with the fling. They have an arc to their shot like a slosher which is why it works, and JUST enough range to get up onto the ledge with a jump flick. Carbon generally just hits the ledge and not over it. But carbon has to operate more like a brush and flank up the wall.
At least Carbon has burst bombs to ink walls, Carbon Deco just cries haha.

BUT, I picked up octobrush nouveau for RM and it's actually pretty amazing! I was doing quite well with it. Well enough that I might give up the carbon roller in favor of it.
I've always felt that Octobrushes have been pretty good in general, not as specialized as either Inkbrush. Then again, I've barely spent much time playing Octos...

Oh yeah! I was having a conversation in another thread with a someone who mains dynamo and is salty against eliters.... I pointed out most of the salt comes from the fact that the dynamo, along with hydra, is THE single easiest target for a charger :) Of course a charger is just about the only thing that can safely deal with dynamos...
Quite a lot of weapons can deal with Dynamos decently IMO. There are definitely some that have it much harder but once again, total usage of your kit is important. As an easy example, Tri-Slosher can eat a Dynamo up by disrupting first.

Yep! Dynamo v Dynamo can be a tricky battle. I was getting a lot of battles with 2-3 dynamos on the other team, and it's kind of fun, like a sniper war, trying to outmaneuver each other's flings and get the hit in! I ended up with a lot of trades there, but was starting to get the hang of it :)
Well thankfully the upcoming update claims to patch the matchmaking. It's really annoying to have increasing numbers of the same weapon in a lobby as I keep playing TW continuously. I then have to quit the lobby and find a new one. Oh and, I don't have that much experience in Dynamo vs Dynamo...the one I've fought with before wasn't that good :x

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I played with the Dynamo today and I`m probably going to main it. The Krak-on isn`t that good anymore which depresses me because I love that weapon so much.I feel like it doesn`t have the same power it used to have before the nerfs came. ( #makerollersgreatagain)

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa

Dynamo v Dynamo battles are so stupid because players who get between the two Dynamos are dead xD

Award

t least Carbon has burst bombs to ink walls, Carbon Deco just cries haha.
True, though in the claustrophobic arenas of ranked, I'm seeing a lot of decos. I tried it, and it's still not for me. But some people make them work very well.

I've always felt that Octobrushes have been pretty good in general, not as specialized as either Inkbrush. Then again, I've barely spent much time playing Octos...
The trouble I have with it is keeping a sane k/d. It's so easy to go so negative with them (in RM) and to get far too many trades than I'm comfortable with. Though I do realize part of it is the nature of the weapon. And few things are as good at shutting down an RM carrier as an octo. I love inkbrush too. Its hit & run mobility is useful. But it ends up in far too many unfavorable positions and seems to be too map dependent.

Well thankfully the upcoming update claims to patch the matchmaking. It's really annoying to have increasing numbers of the same weapon in a lobby as I keep playing TW continuously. I then have to quit the lobby and find a new one. Oh and, I don't have that much experience in Dynamo vs Dynamo...the one I've fought with before wasn't that good :x
Yeah, hopefully that'll work out well. It's ridiculous the amount of awful pairings you get. Dynamo vs. Dynamo won't be solved though...I'm sure same weapon vs same weapon is perfectly valid. And in Zones I ALWAYS get dynamo v dynamo (v dynamo) :D

I played with the Dynamo today and I`m probably going to main it. The Krak-on isn`t that good anymore which depresses me because I love that weapon so much.I feel like it doesn`t have the same power it used to have before the nerfs came. ( #makerollersgreatagain)
Only trouble is map dependence. Maps like mackerel, hammerhead, to a degree anchov have dynamo issues. Anchov I still take dynamo. The other two, it's not really worth it to me. It's too hard to make use of the fling in these places.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
So I played some turf wars with my old main Krak-on and I got matched up with lvl 10-25 players. The first thing I noticed was that there were 6 rollers in the lobby (me included) and all of them just kept rolling towards me. I`m not sure if this was because I was using a roller or that rollers are more popular with new players. (Oh and the matches were really laggy and I literally felt like a god with the amount of lag I had lol)

Award

So I played some turf wars with my old main Krak-on and I got matched up with lvl 10-25 players. The first thing I noticed was that there were 6 rollers in the lobby (me included) and all of them just kept rolling towards me. I`m not sure if this was because I was using a roller or that rollers are more popular with new players. (Oh and the matches were really laggy and I literally felt like a god with the amount of lag I had lol)
New players definitely gravitate toward rollers. It seems like the ultimate painting tool, and most of them aren't so into combat. And it seems easy to use for fighting. No aiming required, and you can just roll over people, no aiming or dodging required! Heck in the beta that actually worked! :p They're definitely popular with that group. And whenever you see rollers just rolling and not flinging you know they're not skilled roller players (unless they're painting between fights - I'll roll to make a nice smooth surface then.)

OTOH I was playing TW yesterday with an S+ Hero Roller and S Krak-On in the lobby. They were NOT trying to roll me over. ;)

My favorite roller match was a Rainmaker match in Kelp Dome somewhere in the A's where the enemy team was SO focused on popping the shield, that I came around from the far side with my splat roller and actually just rolled over 3/4 enemies right around the mid tower. I was amazed thinking "wow, the noob roller thing really works in A ranks!" :D

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
New players definitely gravitate toward rollers. It seems like the ultimate painting tool, and most of them aren't so into combat. And it seems easy to use for fighting. No aiming required, and you can just roll over people, no aiming or dodging required! Heck in the beta that actually worked! :p They're definitely popular with that group. And whenever you see rollers just rolling and not flinging you know they're not skilled roller players (unless they're painting between fights - I'll roll to make a nice smooth surface then.)

OTOH I was playing TW yesterday with an S+ Hero Roller and S Krak-On in the lobby. They were NOT trying to roll me over. ;)

My favorite roller match was a Rainmaker match in Kelp Dome somewhere in the A's where the enemy team was SO focused on popping the shield, that I came around from the far side with my splat roller and actually just rolled over 3/4 enemies right around the mid tower. I was amazed thinking "wow, the noob roller thing really works in A ranks!" :D
Lmao I was once playing TC and I had a S ranked person in my team...he had the krak-on roller(he was clearly trying lol) and he only rolled...seeing rollers like that makes me gringe..HOW DOES A S PLAYER PLAY LIKE THAT WTF. Also how did the enemy team not notice you?? xD

Award

Lmao I was once playing TC and I had a S ranked person in my team...he had the krak-on roller(he was clearly trying lol) and he only rolled...seeing rollers like that makes me gringe..HOW DOES A S PLAYER PLAY LIKE THAT WTF. Also how did the enemy team not notice you?? xD
LOL, maybe it was his second account and he was just trying new weapons. Or maybe he was just completely trolling. :p The only question is which team was he trolling? :D

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
LOL, maybe it was his second account and he was just trying new weapons. Or maybe he was just completely trolling. :p The only question is which team was he trolling? :D
My team .-. Aaaand there went my A+ rank ;-; But honestly a person who`s S rank should never play like that..It puts his teammates ranks in danger (I dropped to A)

Award

Welcome back. I've been between A+ & A 3 times in a week (twice in an hour) and A- once. Such is Splatoon. :rolleyes: Thankfully with the 2.6 patch you should not be facing S/S+ in your A/A+ matches anymore at ALL. My guess is that S was just being a troll sabotaging the "lowly A+'s" he was playing. Which I'll never understand, and it harms his score too. It's also possible he was carried to S (or A+99 and then got lucky in solo) by someone or by save scumming and is really solid B- material. I've had matches with the advantaged team with 2 S's on my team who performed HORRENDOUSLY. I don't look down upon deeply negative k/d's as sometimes that's what it takes to win. I do look down upon S's in an A+ lobby with deeply negative k/ds who were on the massively losing team :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom