• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

NA Splatfest: Are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

Early Bird or Night Owl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrazyGadget

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CrazyGadget466
Tfw you're in mirror matches 90% of the time.
I've literally had one match against actual Early Birds and I'm over halfway through Fiend.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
If you got him again we must be extremely outnumbered. I know we're the early birds and our numbers will rise in the morning but still, how many people do we even have for two people to be on the same team twice!?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I stay up 'till 11 and wake at 6 (without even using an alarm clock) but some people I know go to bed at freaking 2 AM and wake really late so I'm definitely an Early Bird

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well, tonight was a doozy. There were indeed many mirror matches and I won about as many of those as I lost. Against the rare Not-So-Early Birds, though, I've only lost two matches in my entire run. I don't know if it was because they weren't prepared enough or most of that team was truer to that choice, but aside from those two matches I only recall making them choke on their worms with my fellow owls.

So, unless the real Early Birds turn it around when they wake up in the morning, we might have an overwhelming victory in both popularity and wins this Splatfest!

15 The Twilight King, Burning his Midnight Oil.jpg

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Night Owl for me, and I think maybe 15% of my matches were actually against Early Birds. It went very well until about 60/99 on the last title, then my awesome team disbanded and the remaining 39 points took me ages. So much rage, and salt, and tears, and salt.

And salt.

I swear I don't even know why I play this game anymore, let alone Splatfests; I always wind up worse off for it.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Sooooo... I'm a slosher. You three are shooters. They're a Gold Dynamo, Inkbrush, Permanent Inkbrush, and Octobrush.

So how did we get bodied with a score of less than 30% turf covered and no disconnects...?

And if I'm not matched with the same players every so often, then I'm booted out the lobby because we don't have enough Early Birds for a full team.

Some challenge I chose.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Finally slogged my way to Early Bird Queen. I'm done!

I might play again later when the sun is out.

Performance review:
  • I'm a really really really terrible player afterall...
  • Teammates regularly jump to me while I'm out in the open
  • I've won no more than a dozen matches at best
  • About a dozen of my losses made it past 30‰
  • Less than half of the above made it to 40%
  • The above were loss by 0.1~4.0%
  • I miss using the sloshing machine
  • Quite a number of Early Birds like luna blasters
  • Quite a number of Night Owls enjoy dynamos

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
From the looks of things I made the right choice choosing Team Early Bird! Been playing since it began so 5 hours, yet I've only had 3 mirror matches. I was gonna stop after reaching max rank but I made it there with the first team I joined in a little over an hour so why stop while doing so well! I'm currently in the Top 100 with 2000 Splatfest Power. I wonder if that's enough to stay there after the Splatfest ends or if I should keep playing moar.

Also, in those 5 hours I never went a game without having the #1 turf score. Not sure if that's impressive on my part or sad on my teammate's part hehe. Well atleast this time I was actually using good ink spread weapons and not the Rapid Blaster. :L

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
Man I can't remember the last time I pulled out my Mini Zink. Sense the bento charger, I've been using that, but for this splatfest I needed a change of pace. Took a nice nap and woke up around 3am to enjoy splatfest. Having a lot of mirrors, and a lot Early Birds are pretty decent.

Must be approaching some of my lil Owl friend's bedtime because boy are we slacking.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
My son and both chose night owl. Ironic because i got up early to play before work. Got his account to where as long as he plays in three matches hell get a defender rank.

Notes: my beloved slosher failed me. I went 1-9 before trading for nzap. Went 2-4 and traded for wasabi splatter shot. Went 4-3. About 2 thirds of the time i had the number one turf score. Oddly though in most victories i didnt but id have more kills. Indicitive of my "anti-personnel" style of play in ranked i guess. Also means im probably a better second fiddle than a team leadr

No rhyme or reason to power level vs margin of victory held offa 1470 early bird team to less than 20 percent when my team was around 1360. Got creamed by a 1320 early bird team in the first match when my team was 1400.

Looks like night owls vastly out number early birds. Time from begining of one match to the begining of another was between 8 and 9 min. My teams filled virtually immediately.

Lots of carbon rollers out there.

Saw a guy get splatted between 2 sprinklers.

Was most victorious on the bridge

Didnt win at all at the pit.

Less custom hydras than usual. They seem to be more common during splatfests and i didnt see one.

Lots of early birds using mini and heavy splatlings tho.

Not seeing much hacked gear. Saw one person the whole team moving quicker than. Their gear abilities. I dont see the point. I tell my boy that when u cheat at something fun that all you do is make something fun into work and that it defeats the purpose. As a magic the gathering analogy: i can copy champion netdecks or decks in formats that allow for victory in one turn, but whats the point. Its not my victory at that point. Its either someone elses victory (technically) or pure luck (drawing a hand allowing for a first turn win)

Lots of owls using ink brushes.

No coro coro rollers which was surprising.
Saw some people with the nozzle nose guns. Not the cherrys tho They were all very good.

Lots of fun tho. Wish i was off today. Dem snails tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom