The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
I ran into where we had maybe 4 steelheads huddling up to our Egg basket. I was stuck with a slosher- I couldn't handle all FOUR of them by myself, yet my team runs to the far end of the map. Carrying the eggs that we needed....Nice.

It must be the great Steelhead migration that we all ran into today....
Well, tbf, if there were four Steelheads huddled around anything, I'd probably run too.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Well, tbf, if there were four Steelheads huddled around anything, I'd probably run too.
20 seconds left, quota not met (2 eggs remained. TWO.), less than 30 egg total...Teammates were carrying at least 2 eggs...

I ranked down after that ended, I'm salty about my team not taking chances to win- guaranteeing us a lose instead.

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
Oh, and one more thing,

When you are fighting Grillers and one has its laser pointer on you, first of all run, don't fight it; That is what your teammates are for. And Second, would you kindly...you know,...NOT run in our immediate direction? We should not have to run from Grillers AND your dumb ***.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Not since the dynamo rollers in Splatoon 1 have I wanted a weapon nerfed to oblivion like the tri slosher. The weapon's prevalence in the game right now is making Splatoon 2 so much less fun to play.

ÇĦËF

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SW-4986-6175-120
They're avoidable, though. The target can see where they're about to come down, and it tells you when you've been targeted. Yes, you the user can see the other team when you're getting ready to fire them off, but you can only aim them at whoever's inside the little circle on the screen at that moment. The trick is to get the target/s cornered somewhere. I love the tenta missiles but rarely get more than one person with them unless I'm familiar with the map I'm on =p
I do have to agree with you there in that it does give you ample warning of it's arrival, and yeah it is easy to avoid if it's the only thing you have to focus on. But i feel like that can be said about any special in the game. (Except the inkstorm, inkstorms are just pure saltstorms)

But my point moreover that i made later "This doesn't sound OP on paper cause you can just think "oh i'll just get out of the way",(and i should've clarified this more) is that it's difficult to fully avoid it in the middle of the battle field where a multitude of things can be happening to you all at once and now all of a sudden you've gotta book it just to stay alive. You could be fighting an enemy but now have to completely disengage or risk a high chance of being splated from both the missiles and enemy or you could be inking turf in enemy territory but suddenly have to backtrack entirely or get caught in enemy ink just to escape instant splat. (assuming you're not using the dualies)
My point is that the tenta missiles have a surprising amount of firepower and stopping capability (i believe the most powerful out of all the specials) and it can be done by one individual just having to lock on and press fire (you can compensate for the little circle by gaining distance from the battlefeild) and rather than having to get the perfect timing with the splashdown or ink armor or be in the heat of battle with something like the inkstorm or baller, or even take a good amount of skill to use such as an inkjet or stingray to get an effective usage out of it; (Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that it's an totally easy special to use and doesn't have anything to learn about it) with the Tenta Missiles it takes little experience to wreak havoc on the battlefield, stop/delay/trap an entire team pushing, or just ink a good amount of turf and assist your entire team, all at the same time, with just a little backtracking, a little aiming, and just 2 clicks of a button. (this also makes it the 2nd easiest to use, 1st is the inkstorm) Plus those are are problems that you face with those who are inexperienced with the weapon, immagine all of what i've said, but in the hands of a profreshional.... I couldn't even imagine the infinite capabilities and scenarios that it could be used for. (Especially compared to any other special)

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
This small packet of salt relates to Salmon Run again. Boy...I am getting fed up with this mode fast. I love the PvE aspect of this mode, but oh my gawwwdddd...I swear either it attracts really bad/not very bright gamers, or people let their 3 year olds hold the controller. I have had a few rants in the past on this very thread about SR, but this time it is about power eggs. Yes...the object of the game ISN'T power eggs, but I just had a match where we wiped because we were completely over run by not only bosses, but basic salmonid. When the score cards came up, I have something around 500 power eggs gathered, while nobody else in my team broke 200.

I said earlier that power eggs aren't the point of SR....but they are VERY important. If all you do is bounce from boss to boss to boss and ignore everything in between, we will lose in the most embarrassing way...being butchered by essentially foot soldiers of the salmonid army. Pro tip, KILL ALL OF THEM! This is not the first time we lost from being completely overwhelmed by basic troops, and at the end, I have a similar power egg count to my team mates, yet I have double the power egg count of anyone else. In a way, SR is more intense than turf war and even ranked. There is SO MUCH to focus on and think about. Prioritizing bosses, taking out bosses, keeping basic enemies at bay, keeping turf inked ahead of time for mobility in battle, inking walls for alternate escape routes, thinking which way you are gonna take back with the egg that doesn't land you in trouble, avoid bosses bs attacks, reviving team mates and staying close enough to your team to be effective as a unit....so please don't play if you aren't going to focus on every aspect of this mode that results in success...go back to the campaign or something you can handle XD

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
I swear to everything, if I have play another Ranked battle with a teammate that is AFC, disconnected, or otherwise d***ing around putting us in a perpetual handicap, I am going to literally throw my Switch out the window! But don't worry though, if a Switch can survive a fall from 1000 feet, it can definitely survive being chucked seven stories out of a window.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.

Okay, I know, I complain about ink armor to a crazy degree, but this right here was possibly one of the worst matches I've ever had in all of Splatoon. One after the other, the enemy team spammed ink armor to a point where we could do literally nothing to stop it. I don't want to hear anyone complain about Krakens and bubblers anymore, you couldn't spam them to win you matches so easily.

At this point I have no respect for anyone using the tri slosher or n zap. There is no skill to be had in those weapons. You build up your special meter, and you can push any objective. You have two or three? You can keep cycling through ink armor till you win.

I'm scared to even squad up in Splatfest, because I just know legions of no talent hacks will make whole teams built around ink armor.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Okay, let's do a little recap, shall we?
  • Only 10 seconds left in the wave
  • We have double the amount of Golden Eggs dictated by our quota
  • The Glowflies have led massive swarms of Chum to wipe out three of us
  • Now they're on top of you
Got it? Now, what is the correct course of action here?
  • A) Ink a path and run like hell
  • B) Fight them off in a blaze of glory
  • C) Whip out the slow-as-**** Sting Ray
If you guessed C, congratulations! You just screwed yourself, and the rest of your team by proxy. Good going, buddy.
(Though in your defense, it's not your fault Mr. Grizz loaned out such terrible weapons for the job.)

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie

Okay, I know, I complain about ink armor to a crazy degree, but this right here was possibly one of the worst matches I've ever had in all of Splatoon. One after the other, the enemy team spammed ink armor to a point where we could do literally nothing to stop it. I don't want to hear anyone complain about Krakens and bubblers anymore, you couldn't spam them to win you matches so easily.

At this point I have no respect for anyone using the tri slosher or n zap. There is no skill to be had in those weapons. You build up your special meter, and you can push any objective. You have two or three? You can keep cycling through ink armor till you win.

I'm scared to even squad up in Splatfest, because I just know legions of no talent hacks will make whole teams built around ink armor.
Ya know, I recall you venting about ink armor in the past I think and thought "meh, it isn't that serious"...and it isn't, UNTIL it is stacked. I went against a team of randoms in turf war who happened to have 3 ink armors as well, and it SUCKED. I would say their ink armor up time was about 90% of the match and made their whole team so hard to kill. I am not sure how they could nerf this though without making it useless. You can't really limit the number of specials used in each match...or what weapon someone wants to use...that isn't the nature of splatoon =/

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288

It's absolutely disgusting. Ink Armor currently goes against the entire philosophy Nintendo had about specials in this game, and I just do NOT understand. I miss the Kraken and Bubbler...at least those weapons felt like they had weaknesses and counterplay. Now when the enemy activates ink armor, you just put your hands up and let them take the objective because there's absolutely no way youre going to win that fight. and getting swarmed by the entire team with ink armor? forget about it, youre done. AT LEAST SHARING THE BUBBLER TOOK GOOD POSITIONING AND TIMING AND T E A M W O R K. Now it's press a button and WIN. It's just...what are they doing?! I adamantly refuse to League Battle and squad battle for splatfest until this gets patched, because the cheese potential for Ink Armor is mindblowingly high. I think the worst part about this is that weapons I was actually planning on using this time around (particularly the Tri-Slosher, but other datamined weapons revealed to have Ink Armor as well) but now I refuse to cave in to this ridiculous special weapon by never using it ever, until it gets nerfed so it's more fair.

You know, back in my day, we still could get screwed over during our invincibility specials! You could slip thru a grate as a Kraken on accident or get pinballed, or get knocked away or even off into the water as a Bubbler. Now you just press a button and you and your entire team wipe the other team! *shakes bamboozler*

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I am not sure how they could nerf this though without making it useless. You can't really limit the number of specials used in each match...or what weapon someone wants to use...that isn't the nature of splatoon =/
If I was put in charge of balance, I would remove the team sharing aspect, and boost the user's shield. Make one person a super soldier, not the whole team. That's the only way I see this special being balanced fairly. Otherwise it's going to be given free reign to make whole teams near unstoppable. At this point where we are now, skill gets you nowhere in a skill based game like this. Does your team have multiple ink armor users? Good, you have probably won the match.

aeron!

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5897-6499-1183
I agree entirely with the ink armor stuff. I've had such bad times in ranked because it was spammed so much so we could barely push the objective. Ugh it's terrible

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
If I was put in charge of balance, I would remove the team sharing aspect, and boost the user's shield. Make one person a super soldier, not the whole team. That's the only way I see this special being balanced fairly. Otherwise it's going to be given free reign to make whole teams near unstoppable. At this point where we are now, skill gets you nowhere in a skill based game like this. Does your team have multiple ink armor users? Good, you have probably won the match.
Ah then even if a whole team stacks ink armor, they can only use it once for themselves then they have to get their special individually all over again...that is probably a good way to go...buff and nerf at the same time for the sake of balance. /signed for individual ink shields XD

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I do have to agree with you there in that it does give you ample warning of it's arrival, and yeah it is easy to avoid if it's the only thing you have to focus on. But i feel like that can be said about any special in the game. (Except the inkstorm, inkstorms are just pure saltstorms)

But my point moreover that i made later "This doesn't sound OP on paper cause you can just think "oh i'll just get out of the way",(and i should've clarified this more) is that it's difficult to fully avoid it in the middle of the battle field where a multitude of things can be happening to you all at once and now all of a sudden you've gotta book it just to stay alive. You could be fighting an enemy but now have to completely disengage or risk a high chance of being splated from both the missiles and enemy or you could be inking turf in enemy territory but suddenly have to backtrack entirely or get caught in enemy ink just to escape instant splat. (assuming you're not using the dualies)
My point is that the tenta missiles have a surprising amount of firepower and stopping capability (i believe the most powerful out of all the specials) and it can be done by one individual just having to lock on and press fire (you can compensate for the little circle by gaining distance from the battlefeild) and rather than having to get the perfect timing with the splashdown or ink armor or be in the heat of battle with something like the inkstorm or baller, or even take a good amount of skill to use such as an inkjet or stingray to get an effective usage out of it; (Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that it's an totally easy special to use and doesn't have anything to learn about it) with the Tenta Missiles it takes little experience to wreak havoc on the battlefield, stop/delay/trap an entire team pushing, or just ink a good amount of turf and assist your entire team, all at the same time, with just a little backtracking, a little aiming, and just 2 clicks of a button. (this also makes it the 2nd easiest to use, 1st is the inkstorm) Plus those are are problems that you face with those who are inexperienced with the weapon, immagine all of what i've said, but in the hands of a profreshional.... I couldn't even imagine the infinite capabilities and scenarios that it could be used for. (Especially compared to any other special)
I feel for you. Sounds like you maybe got stuck on Port Mackerel against someone with the missiles. In which case, I feel for you, because that map is insanely easy to blitz people on with them new reason to love it. I should know, because I did exactly that today, and the guy I wiped twice in a row with them sent me a friend request after the match. XD
It's also probably going to increase your sodium level to know that a Splatfest Tee with two Special Up subs is in existence and I - a tenta-missile addict - am wearing it. I'm not at all sorry.
That being said, I get that special because I'm maining the Dualies right now, and the Dualies are supposed to be a front-line shooter. Now that I'm getting the real hang of them and the new maps, I'm more of a mid-fielder, but that doesn't really put me much out of the main scrim these days, and finding a 'safe' place to set the special off can be a real pain. I've been splatted while aiming more times than I can remember, and actually getting people with the things is still a cause for celebration on my end. I like to think I'm getting better with them though. It's hard as heck to avoid pretty much anything if you're right in the middle of the action. My advice would be to be in that position less, which is entirely possible unless you're playing for-glory. If the tenta-missiles salt you up that much, do what I do when it comes to snipers - preemptive strike. You're more than welcome to target me if we ever meet up in Turf, I'll understand it's not personal =p

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
re: Ink Armor

From what I can tell, the issue is that, despite the official word of it being good against a single hit only, in practice it takes a while for the game to register said hit, letting the user take extra hits they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

I'd like to think it's an issue that could be resolved by having the armor dissipate a little more instantaneously, but I'm not sure how feasible that'd be.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
re: Ink Armor

From what I can tell, the issue is that, despite the official word of it being good against a single hit only, in practice it takes a while for the game to register said hit, letting the user take extra hits they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

I'd like to think it's an issue that could be resolved by having the armor dissipate a little more instantaneously, but I'm not sure how feasible that'd be.
From everything I've heard, it basically gives you 100 additional HP that drains over time. Slightly powerful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom